My suggestions for FM 2011

Football Manager 2010 is a revolutionary piece of gaming tool and a fantastic achievement, almost an impossible one. With that type of achievement comes very high expectations, so theres a few things I'd like FM 2011 to incorporate.

1. Improved User manager profiles - I want to be able to compare my stats to other managers and obviously more attributes to match theirs should be included.

The manager stats should change accordingly to accomplishments, achievements, decision making etc. Obviously we only have mental attributes included at the moment so I can understand that the stats change to other factors.

2. Media memory - To give an example, if I were to have managed Inter Milan and later joined Aston Villa, I'd like clubs to link me with players I've created rapport and already worked with at Inter Milan. For example; when Jose Mourinho joined Real Madrid, he was linked to buy Maicon.

This applies to press conferences too, they should link relevant players. This could be identified through how many times I praised a player (implying I favour him).

To make the players less AI and more "human", I want them to have better "memory". So if I bought Sneijder to Villa, I'd like him to comment on being happy to work with me again.

Another situation would be, if I managed Inter Milan and left them for Villa and later re-joined them, I'd like the media to comment on returning to the team and some players to also like/dislike my return. A sense of memory would make it more believable.

Also, it would be great if the media had better memory of my managerial style of play or better yet, distinguishes my style. So for example, if I tend to manage my teams with the "Rigid" philosophy, I'd like the media to comment on my conservative, disciplinarian style e.g. Dunga adapting Brazil for a more rigid style, likewise with Capello/England.

3. More realistic rapport with players

Again, pretty similar to my prior points; I'd like players I bring up from a young age, train them and make them into decent players to acknowledge that in some sort of way. For example; an unknown youngster Muhammet Demir who plays for Bursaspor, I transformed him into a quality player yet his favourite personnel was only Turkey's manager for picking him.

4. Smart Press conferences

Rather than stating the obvious "tedious press conferences", one solution to improve on that would be to make better use of our personal responses during the conferences. When we type a comment, it would be fantastic if the media could feature it in their headlines but somehow understanding it through "keywords". This is obviously quite complex and would require simple answers from us for the computer to understand it, but it would be a great addition.

Whilst playing online, I've noticed press conferences are useless as both the press-set decisions and additional comments aren't seen by the other user. They should appear on the other users screen.

5. Nationality

I think it would be pretty cool to have the option of choosing where you were born and also ethnic background. So for example Spanish descent but born in England thus British.

Include Turkish/Cypriot nationality. The Cyprus nationality included only covers people of greek descent. Players such as Leon Osman and Billy Mehmet are Turkish/Cypriot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Cypriots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus

problem is with trying to go back to your team you have managed before is, the team put you on there hated list regardless of how well you did with them, and you never get the chance to work there again, this is something that needs fixed.

Improve match balance.

Is unbelievable that a team that is currently in the first three places of the rank (atm Notts Co 2nd in L1, 6 consecutive wins) loses three straight ones (with large goal difference) with teams placed under the 17th place at home, without injured players or banned ones.

And is not the first time in many years, it happens everytime. One loss can happen, but not with underpowered teams and naturally when you're involved in a promotion quest and they are "fast sure" to not going down, 5 matches from end-season.

The players are NOT respecting the tactics (the same no changes) and are playing with a ridiculous efficience.

Is strange but happens almost from the first game issues.

All imho, but is strange that happens. :D

5. Nationality

I think it would be pretty cool to have the option of choosing where you were born and also ethnic background. So for example Spanish descent but born in England thus British.

Include Turkish/Cypriot nationality. The Cyprus nationality included only covers people of greek descent. Players such as Leon Osman and Billy Mehmet are Turkish/Cypriot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Cypriots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus

Two things:

1) I like the first idea. For example I was born in the US and due to jus soli am an American citizen. However, my grandmother was born in Italy and gave birth to my father before she was naturalized. Therefore I'm 75% sure I qualify for Italian citizenship due to jus sanguinis. I have no real reason to apply - it costs money and takes work - but if I was a footballer of skill and renown there are obvious reasons why I would. But how much different is that from me just selecting my nationality as American and my secondary nationality as Italian on the manager creation screen? Granted, I speak absolutely zero Italian, so that part would be off. I usually edit my languages and age with FMRTE when I do that, though.

2) Regarding Turkish Cyprus, I imagine it's not in the game because it's not an internationally recognized state. For example the game lists Taiwan as Chinese Taipei, which indicates to me that SEGA/SI have an interest in reflecting the political status of the real world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I'll throw in an American angle: Pre-coded dynamic MLS expansion. MLS is an expanding league, and it would be great if FM could simulate that. No need to be Nostradamus or worry about being 100% accurate - but have a list of say - 10 cities and probabilities of them being added to the league in any given year. Then the year before they are to join the league, there is an announcement and the team is created and starts looking for players and staff. Then the next season they play in the league just like any other. It would be a fun and different management opportunity, especially during the "accumulate an entire original team" phase - and/or expansion drafts!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_MLS_Expansion_Draft)

Some good ideas in this thread - I especially like the MLS expansion idea, I guess it would be difficult to get the naunces right and how would you work out to schedule one other than have it as a hard coded one off event set at the start of the game.

Also the media reacting to the text you add to press conference answers. I know it can be done, as have you tried putting swear words into the text box ? the following press report will invariably refer to you as being 'foul-mouthed', so it can work on spotting words, a bit more difficult to get the right sense out of more complex phrasing though as in 'I like Messi' - does that mean you admire Messi, or you plan to bid for him ?

The media memory is a fabulous idea.

And personally I think dynamic league reputations is the holy grail of FM development - again very easy to get wrong, but if it was right it would make the game so much better.

at tdpatriots12

In the early 90's and latest '80 the Italian Hockey Team, the "Blue Team", uses this ius sanguinis to let play in the WC (the old A Group) a large bunch of Canadians and NorthAmericans.

After the games the interviews are foolish, because fast all are not speaking a single italian word...:p.

Are the "golden years" where our (i'm Italian) Team play a interesting Hockey and many old-timers NHL players come here. In my city i have seen an actual star as Jaromir Jagr play and Kent Nilsson. Are Aliens for our Championship.

Even in actual times, to return on topic, was used by the Football Team for giving chances to Camoranesi (italian/argentinian), to Amauri (italian/brazilian) and some others. Or to qualify a foreign player as communitary player (foreign, outside EU Community, are limited in number pro team).

You're right, you can qualify easily for a "double" passport option ;) . Someones are using this option to select where pay the taxes...:p:p

Excuse the "off topic"

Just to add to my initial list, besides Media Memory, I'd also like there to be memory for fans. So say I had a 3 year successful spell at Chelsea, and then moved to another club. If those two teams meet in a match, it would be nice if the fans had some sort of a reaction i.e. standing ovation or jeers and boos.

3. More realistic rapport with players

Again, pretty similar to my prior points; I'd like players I bring up from a young age, train them and make them into decent players to acknowledge that in some sort of way. For example; an unknown youngster Muhammet Demir who plays for Bursaspor, I transformed him into a quality player yet his favourite personnel was only Turkey's manager for picking him.

I definitely like this idea. :thup:

During my current save I keep hearing players I have turned into great players thanking the international manager for picking him but he doesn't say anything to recognize the work the club manager put into getting him to that level.

Not on the OP's list, but how about for once match odds that actually take into account the quality of players you have and not just essentially reputation. As it stands now, you could have a team of 11 Pele's in their prime against a team of 80 year olds, and if the 80 year olds have a higher reputation, they will probably be favorites to win.

And - how about a transfer system where the AI bids using the system we use to bid when we get a scouting report saying a player is worth X because of his importance to the club? And an AI that will negotiate with you and not just drop their lousy bid?

The transfer system is the worst part of this game - the AI just makes poor bids, and it's been this way for a long time. How about a little realism here?

• 2 weeks later...

Mar$haLL - I am not on a Forest fan base

Fuzzrab - That's exactly how I feel! Wheres the love for the guy that REALLY brought out his talents.

Soccer Manager - Those would be nice areas to fix up albeit nothing too drastic I reckon. I'd say I'm content with the transfer system and match odds for the time being.

The things I've listed aren't too major, but as a whole they do effect the realism of the game. It's the intricacies that make Football Manager.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived