Playing out of Position, what does it do?

Are there any hard facts on playing a player out of their position and how it affects them?

I generally play people only where they are Natural or Accomplished, but due to having an actual quality Sweeper in my squad I have started to play normal CB's right alongside him with both of them having a Sweeper role.

So far, all 3 of my CB's have performed above 7.0 in this role in probably 4 games each.

So it got me to wondering...is position based more on abilities? If so, what's the point of retraining a player to another position?

I couldn't find a discussion thread on this so I thought I'd ask.

Playing a player significantly out of position should have a long term effect on his performances when compared to playing him in position.

There will always be exceptions though, especially with highly versatile players.

I'd like to know the answer to this.

Remember when some user edited the positional rating of a player above 20 and he ended up playing like some kind of superman with an incredibly powerful shot? That example would seem to indicate that it has an impact on more than just decision-making.

I'd like to know the answer to this.

SI would have to send the Ninja Assassins round if you ever found out. The ME is a big big secret.

Remember when some user edited the positional rating of a player above 20 and he ended up playing like some kind of superman with an incredibly powerful shot? That example would seem to indicate that it has an impact on more than just decision-making.

That's a good point. Now I'm :confused:

I wouldn't be afraid of the red dots if I were you. As long as the player has the required attributes to play in a position, he'll do fine. I've been playing a MC in DL position for most of the season and he's averaging just above 7.00. Better than an actual natural DL that I was playing there before, until he got injured.

I've played Eggert Jonsson as RB for most of the season, and despite the "vomit-green" dot [and a 1.5* coach rating in that position] he still got a 7.20 average rating...

Even the red dot doesn't seem to affect a player that much, as long as he has decent attributes and the rest of the team works well.

Archived