The reason behind Genoa becoming a powerhouse...

Forget the tactic, forget the youngsters...

It's all about the Chairman...

For some reason Enrico Preziosi has been given STELLAR attributes:

Top-notch PA, Ambition, Resources, Business and Buying Players... higher than Abramovich and on par with Moratti and Al Mubarak.

Now, I don't know how much having such a wealthy and investing-oriented chairman does have on the game, but I still think the Italian researchers got it all wrong about Preziosi...

He is a "smart" businessman, but he's not a "spend-to-win" Chairman... his first and foremost priority will always be not losing money. So the sky-high attributes are totally off-the-mark

They quickly became a power in my game, winning the Champions League in 2013 and Serie A in 2012 and 2017, but in 2023 they had a new chairman promoted from within. Since then, they've finished above 6th only once in 6 seasons after being in the top 4 11 of the first 14 seasons.

I've found that they do become a powerhouse quite quickly but that they rarely spend more than they earn from selling players.

I am currently in the 2016/17 season and so far they have only spent more than they received once, and that was only by around £2 million, every other season they have spent around £30m, but sold around £50 to £60m.

I've found that they do become a powerhouse quite quickly but that they rarely spend more than they earn from selling players.

I am currently in the 2016/17 season and so far they have only spent more than they received once, and that was only by around £2 million, every other season they have spent around £30m, but sold around £50 to £60m.

That hasn't been the case in my game. They've spent more than they received in every season bar one (there has been 10). 4 of those years they spent £50mil more than they received in transfer fees (though they were of course winning everything by this point). (They also have three players on over 200,000 euros a week.)

The bhiggest problem though is there ability to sign the best players. The 5 most valuable players in the world all play for Genoa and were bought for less than £15mil. They have 8 of the top 10 most valuable players. Spotting this I thought I'd better pinch up their scouts - but they are all rubbish nowadays. AC Milan and INter meanwhile continue to sign bit-part players and so Genoa have become untouchable.

They sign the best player because the Chairman has been overrated in a ridiculous way... (I'm actually surprised nobody among the Italian researchers spotted such a blatant mistake)

Just try bringing Mr. Preziosi's attributes down to earth, where they belong, and let's see if Genoa's dominance goes on...

Signor Preziosi has stepped down in 2022 when Fulvio Martini headed a consortium takeover in my save. They won four straight Scudettos from 2015 and have twice won the Champions League, once under Preziosi and once under Martini.

I'm aware there's a Data Issue thread, and indeed the last post in the Italy data is mine, more or less about this subject ;)

But since there won't be new patches/updates anymore, is it really "necessary" reporting every change/proposal, assuming the FM11 database will be researched correctly and according to the most recent indications of the football world?

This thread was meant more like an "explaination" of Genoa's absurd rise to the top than like a data issue

I've actually managed Genoa for 5 seasons before moving onto another club.

They start off with a good set of players and attact quite high bids. If they become successful they eventually move into a new stadium around 2016, sometimes earlier or later, leading to healthier finances. The Chairman isn't particulary generous and doesn't inject funds and doesn't sign big sponsorship deals. His influence on my tenure was minimal.

I'd suggest running some long-term saves with low Chairman attributes and then compare them to long-term saves with high Chairman attributes. Simply stating that Genoas occasional "rise to the top" is because of the Chairmans attributes isn't really an explanation is it?

Run some long-term saves, compare the results and then come back :)

I'm aware there's a Data Issue thread, and indeed the last post in the Italy data is mine, more or less about this subject ;)

But since there won't be new patches/updates anymore, is it really "necessary" reporting every change/proposal, assuming the FM11 database will be researched correctly and according to the most recent indications of the football world?

This thread was meant more like an "explaination" of Genoa's absurd rise to the top than like a data issue

It's always better to report it, just in case they don't notice it :)

Archived