Non-EU players

Morning all,

I'm currently managing in the Greek Second Division, which has a limit of registration of 3 non-EU players, which is fine. The squad registration screen says I have three - from Cameroon, Montenegro and Bosnia/Herz, which again, is fine.

The thing is, I have another 2 players on my squad - both registered - who appear non-EU to me. One is Turkish and one is Norweigian. The Turkish bloke has played his whole career in Greece, shows as "Trained in Nation", so that's probably why he's not considered non-EU. However, the Norweigian guy has just joined me and played his whole career in Norway - Which, as far as I knew, was non-EU.

Any ideas?

Does the turkish player have dual nationality??

As for the norwegian, I believe that Norway has an agreement with EU (as all the EFTA countries do) and they do count as EU players. Which means that you can also fill your team with Icelandic, Swiss and Liechenteiner players.

According to a website I found, it seems that Switzerland haven't joined this agreement, but I still think they in game count as EU players.

The agreement is not specific to football, but means that the EFTA countries are under the same rules and guidelines for the internal market, as the EU countries. Which includes the free movement of work.

Excellent, thank you very much for this answer.

The Turkish player does NOT have dual nationality, however he is considered by the game as "EU".

On his personal screen, the "Days to Gain Nationality" box is there, and showing as 363 days remaining. However, as previously stated, he has spent his whole career in Greece (history shows since 2001/2002 season and he shows as "trained in Nation". I'm assuming that players that are "trained in Nation" do not fall foul of the EU ruling then?

I don't think that being trained in the nation, in anyway negates the restrictions on his nationality. But maybe.

More likely, either Turkey has a special agreement with either Greece or UEFA. I think there are some EU special rules on players from Turkey, Slovakia and Russia. Not sure though. The websites stating this are confusing.

Edit: Reading about the HomeGrown rule for english football (and assuming that they are similar to Greek rules), I think it might be the reason why your turkish player is treated as an EU player for your squad selection. If I am reading the rules right.

Edit: Reading about the HomeGrown rule for english football (and assuming that they are similar to Greek rules), I think it might be the reason why your turkish player is treated as an EU player for your squad selection. If I am reading the rules right.

I can't find my link, but I think you are correct that home grown top trumps nationality for registration of players.

• 1 month later...

I have the opposite problem. Now i am managing in the Greek Superleague (PAOK) and I am in the 2011-2012 season. My problem is tha if I buy a turkish player (with no other nationality - born in turkey) he isn't non-EU. He is just EU player and he isn't foreign. I try it with many turkish players and it is the same thing every time. PLEASE if somebody knows what happen please tell it me...

Archived