Rivals...Which team has the most

I'm currently playing in Italy (Napoli) and i noticed they have a lot of rival teams.

Fierce rivals = 14

Other rivals = 9

Total = 23

Compared to the EPL this is a hell of a lot of rivals,it got me thinking (more out of curiousity)

What team on FM10 has the most rivals ?

Leeds seem to be listed by a lot of teams, pretty much every team in Yorkshire, most teams in Lancashire, most of these teams dont even register on Leeds radar (Burnley, Hull, Middlesbrough) our real derbys are Man United, Bradford, Sheffield W&U & Chelsea.

I am playing as Sampdoria and find the huge amount of rivals highly annoying. Not as bad as Napoli though, just 7 fierce and 7 regular rivals, but this means that all but 5 teams I play throughout the season will disappoint fans unless I absolutely destroy them. I'm curious as to why Italian teams seem to have far more rivals than many other nations.

It may be due to some of the top teams in italy, have for the most part, stayed at top level, and have constantly played for over a hundred years. I imagine the fact that for a while football was all Italy really had, especially just before and after ww2.

I am playing as Sampdoria and find the huge amount of rivals highly annoying. Not as bad as Napoli though, just 7 fierce and 7 regular rivals, but this means that all but 5 teams I play throughout the season will disappoint fans unless I absolutely destroy them. I'm curious as to why Italian teams seem to have far more rivals than many other nations.

Because Italian players constantly take dives and fake injuries? :p

I think the rivalry thing in Italy is actually more realistic. Lots of Italian clubs genuinely hate each other, whereas in England clubs tend to focus on a couple of clubs to dislike , such as cross-city neighbours or local forces. In the original posters case, Napoli have loads of rivals as they openly profess to hate pretty much everyone who isn't from Naples, and reserve even more extra venom for those in the "rich" north. Maradona tried to use this rivalry to his advantage in the 1990 World Cup in Italy, appealing to the napoli fans to support him and Argentina against the Italians.

I think the rivalry thing in Italy is actually more realistic. Lots of Italian clubs genuinely hate each other, whereas in England clubs tend to focus on a couple of clubs to dislike , such as cross-city neighbours or local forces. In the original posters case, Napoli have loads of rivals as they openly profess to hate pretty much everyone who isn't from Naples, and reserve even more extra venom for those in the "rich" north. Maradona tried to use this rivalry to his advantage in the 1990 World Cup in Italy, appealing to the napoli fans to support him and Argentina against the Italians.

:thup::thup::thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting find guys, im yet to play in the italien league but would find a rival mach every 2nd game or so rather annoying.

I tend to think rival games are like cup finals where anything can happen (flukle goals, and teams having numerous chances but losing, random mistakes etc etc. This un-predictiveness on a large scale would frustrate me

Italy is a weird one as it's political as well, where you have far-left and far-right ultras who in addition to ultras hating each other, are opposites on the political spectrum. Kind of like the US Presidential Elections in a violent, footballing circumstance.

I'm currently playing in Italy (Napoli) and i noticed they have a lot of rival teams.

Fierce rivals = 14

Other rivals = 9

Total = 23

Compared to the EPL this is a hell of a lot of rivals,it got me thinking (more out of curiousity)

What team on FM10 has the most rivals ?

it's normal: Napoli's fan are criminals (not everybody, but the people who are "ultras" they're dangerous. watch this video (2 years ago.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_aNdOZ_EVM

they've damaged the train. they go with knifes every match that napoli plays away. In this two years, the italian security have banned a lot of napoli's ultras away.

because people see football just like a escamoutage for make violence. italian's ultras (not everybody) are depravated people. they have problems in the life "from monday to saturday" because a lot of them haven't a job: they go to stadium for drunk, for smoke, and the incredible is, that a lot of them go to stadium ONLY for smoke marijuana or drink a lot of beer, and they DON'T CARE if they can't watch the game. they go there to do prohibited things.

Because Italian players constantly take dives and fake injuries? :p

haha very nice :thdn: . watch better Serie A, mate.

i'm managing Verona in Italy and they have heaps of rivals as well, its pretty weird.

i'll explain you. Hellas have the most fascist ultras in italy. they've a lot of enemies for this.

esterne181604431801161033_big.jpg

that was done from ultras because Hellas has bought a black player, Ferrer. they didn't want this player. Hellas' ultras do violence, they create problems in the cities where they go. just like Napoli's ultras.

VERY GOOD.

The rivalries in italy born especially for three reasons:

1-position of the cities and derby between two teams in the same city. (livorno-pisa, inter-atalanta, palermo-catania, bari-lecce/ genoa-samp, torino-juventus...)

2-NORTH VS SOUTH

Because the north side of italy, like the famous Padania, is the richiest side of italy. in padania (Veneto, Lombardia, Piemonte) are the most important facturies of italy, the people work a lot, and Brianza (in lombardia) is one of the richiest side in all of europe. in the south, the unemployment level is very, very high. but there is also true that in the south a lot of people haven't the desire to work. And this isn't always a mafia's fault. there is in the mentality of people. in football the situation is perfectly reflected, so the north people call "terroni" the south people. For many people (and politicians), after Rome, there isn't italy. There is north africa.

3- POLITICS IDEALS

There are a lot of rivalries fot this reason.

FASCIST GROUPS: Inter, Lazio, Verona, Roma (in last years, with the banner: "Lazio-Livorno, same inicials, same oven (like hitler's ovens) ), Juventus, Catania and Italy's ultras.

COMMUNIST GROUPS: Livorno (the most communist group), Pisa, Napoli, Torino, Bologna, Bari...

NEUTRAL GROUPS: Milan, Genoa, Samp, Fiorentina, Chievo...

Di Canio said few years ago: stadiums in italy are the biggest politics center.

i've tried to explain :)

i'll explain you. Hellas have the most fascist ultras in italy. they've a lot of enemies for this.

that was done from ultras because Hellas has bought a black player, Ferrer. they didn't want this player. Hellas' ultras do violence, they create problems in the cities where they go. just like Napoli's ultras.

:eek: So i'm managing a team with fascist ultra's making up some of my supporters?

Thanks for the explanation about all the rivals.

Interesting explanation :thup:

Reminds me of why I don't like any Italian club at all.

I'm currently at Man U where I face lots of one-sided rivalry. Everybody seems to hate us, but we have just few rival clubs listed. Talk about the arrogance and ignorance of the big :D

Archived