Why can't I pick Toni Kroos To Play for England

If a player gains British nationality by spending 5 years in England in the game, then they will be eligible to play for England (the same applies for Scotland, Wales and NI), except where they are marked in the database as already declared for another country, which I suspect is the case for Toni Kroos. If you are less lazy than me it won't take long to check this with the editor.

I think if any German player has had a fake version of themselves in the Germany squad then that counts as them being declared for thier nation. Check the germany team for a player that's got his stats.

I think if any German player has had a fake version of themselves in the Germany squad then that counts as them being declared for thier nation. Check the germany team for a player that's got his stats.

This, I think there's probably something coded to stop real Germans getting in other national sides.

I've got pretty much a similar scenario, currently managing Brazil and had a friendly fixture v Mexico coming up, so decided to call up a few half decent players just to try them out........more trial than error than anything else as i haven't managed at international level before.

Anyway i came across a DC who was his nationality as Portuguese and he has 10 youth caps for Portugal, other nationality is stated as Brazil and he is eligible to play for both nations. Under his International happiness status its states "Feels he wants to wait for a chance with Brazil before committing himself to Portugal", so i decided to give him a run out in the upcoming friendly......but when i tried to call him up he rejected my call!!

Surely if he wants to play for Brazil he would have taken the call-up or is it because its only a friendly?

In real life, the rules goes like this: A player can only represent those nations he was eligible for when he played his first international match at any level and age. Toni Kroos can never be eligible for any other country than Germany as he was only eligible for Germany when he first represented Germany at youth level. Almunia has never represented Spain (or any other country for that matter) at any level or age so he is eligible for England (or Scotland/Wales/N.I.) when he gets British citizenship. I don't know if the game takes this into account or not.

I've noticed that some players have "declared for nation" for some country in the game when in real life they haven't done that, and actually now represent another country. For example, I was approached to manage Cameroon before the 2010 WC, and I couldn't pick certain players in the game for Cameroon who are in the Cameroon squad for the real WC at the moment, since they had declared for Germany and/or France.

In real life, the rules goes like this: A player can only represent those nations he was eligible for when he played his first international match at any level and age. Toni Kroos can never be eligible for any other country than Germany as he was only eligible for Germany when he first represented Germany at youth level. Almunia has never represented Spain (or any other country for that matter) at any level or age so he is eligible for England (or Scotland/Wales/N.I.) when he gets British citizenship. I don't know if the game takes this into account or not.

I'm sure that rule was changed not so long ago so that you could play for another naton as long as you haven't played for any other full national team.

I'm sure that rule was changed not so long ago so that you could play for another naton as long as you haven't played for any other full national team.

No, it wasn't. The recent change you probably are referring to was that now you can still change national sides even if you have played for one country's "A" team in a friendly. Even then the change can only be made, if you were eligible for that second nation when you first played for the first nation at any level or age.

Now I know the game does not follow real life rules in this. I just had a Cameroonian striker become eligible for Austria even though he had already represented Cameroon U21's prior to receiving his Austrian (dual) citizenship.

So, this is something SI need to fix!

i think any player can play for another country at international level whether or not they have played at any level upto the first team once they get there first cap they can`t play for no other country and also they might declare themselves just to play for one country such as if there born in germany but they might be eligible to play for more thn country they might say i want to play only for germany as thats the country i was born in

i think any player can play for another country at international level whether or not they have played at any level upto the first team once they get there first cap they can`t play for no other country and also they might declare themselves just to play for one country such as if there born in germany but they might be eligible to play for more thn country they might say i want to play only for germany as thats the country i was born in

Nope, and, please, learn to punctuate.

Here's a direct quote from the 2008 version of the FIFA articles concerning international eligibility:

Article 18 Change of Association

If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if a Player is

eligible to play for several representative teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday,

and only once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international

matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the

following conditions:

(a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition at "A"

international level for his current Association, and at the time of his first full or partial

appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he

already had the nationality of the representative team for which he wishes to play.

(b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already

played for his previous Association.

The age limit of 21 was removed last year. Also, the "only once" part is subject to speculation since Liverpool's Dean Bouzanis has switched back and forth between Australia and Greece youth teams. Also, this version claims that youth international friendlies do not count in this matter at all, but I have a faint recollection that that was also changed lately. I can't vouch for that, though.

The one problem with these is, that FIFA doesn't have the latest version up on its web-page. The FIFA web-pages only host the 2007 version, but that is partly obsolete. There's a revision circular (no. 1147, June 2008) available on some sites that has the above version, and several news sites have reported about the age limit removal from last year.

FIFA Statutes 2007

Circular no. 1147

FIFA news item on age limit removal

Eurosport: Age Limit Removed

That last link also has no mention of whether the youth international matches have to be official or friendlies, but it could just be an oversight by the author. As it's written there, though, even youth friendlies would count (i.e. have to have the relevant nationalities before the first international appearance at any level, friendly or official game). The previous link from fifa.com states that "The Congress has now decided to lift this age limit, but has maintained all the other provisions of art. 18", which would mean that youth friendlies do not count.

If you get british citizenship you can only play for one of the home nations if you have had five years education in that particular country due to an agreement that was drawn up by the home nations and approved by Fifa hence why Andy Driver is now eligible to play for Scotland having been born in England and playing for the under 21's. This ruling will probably be in the next football manager as it came too late for football manager 2010 having only been confirmed very recently

(a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition at "A"

international level for his current Association, and at the time of his first full or partial

appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he

already had the nationality of the representative team for which he wishes to play.

(b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already

played for his previous Association. [/i]

A international level refers to full senior international games, if it were otherwise a lot of the African teams would not be able to field half their squads. A quick example is Carl Medjani, who actually captianed France at U-21 level, another example is Abdoun who has played at three underage levels for France. My final example is Kevin-Prince Boateng, who played at every level for Germany except senior.

Before complaining about other users I would suggest that your evidence actually backs up your case.

It's because of the whole greyed out thing. If you delete a particular file, you can make the german national team available for management and thus they will use real players.

Even though he is not on the team, he is still linked to it. If you had deleted that file and there were real players on the team, he would have been selected for them a long time ago. Its like he is in the squad...but at the same time he's not. Because the german team cannot use real players (licensing issue?),

I saw something like this happen in FM 09; even though the team only had greyed out players, michael ballack was still listed as the german captain until he retired.

I think that SI just tried to make the best of situation even though they lack, I guess, the rights to the german national team. The same can be said for Japan....also due to a lack of holding the rights to use the players names.

A international level refers to full senior international games, if it were otherwise a lot of the African teams would not be able to field half their squads.

I don't quite understand what you're getting at here, but yes, "A" international means full senior international (not "B" international or youth); "competitive" means World Cup finals, WC qualifying, continental championship finals (European Championships, Copa America, etc.), continental champs qualifying, and Confederations Cup. So players can still change associations, if they have played in "A" international friendlies. But they can only do that, if they had the new nationality when they played their first international competitive match in youth level. It doesn't say youth level per se, but that is implied since "A" level competitive games "lock" the nationality.

I don't quite understand what you're getting at here, but yes, "A" international means full senior international (not "B" international or youth); "competitive" means World Cup finals, WC qualifying, continental championship finals (European Championships, Copa America, etc.), continental champs qualifying, and Confederations Cup. So players can still change associations, if they have played in "A" international friendlies. But they can only do that, if they had the new nationality when they played their first international competitive match in youth level. It doesn't say youth level per se, but that is implied since "A" level competitive games "lock" the nationality.

Not if the friendlies are official FIFA friendlies. Unofficial friendlies do not count.

Not if the friendlies are official FIFA friendlies. Unofficial friendlies do not count.

What is an official FIFA friendly? To what competition do they count for? The articles only mention competitive matches, so to be competitive, the friendly needs to count for some competition. As far as I know, no friendly does that.

What about the Gentlemen's Agreement between the four home nations?

Wouldn't that prevent Kroos from playing for any of the four, for which he would be eligible theoretically after getting a British passport?

What about the Gentlemen's Agreement between the four home nations?

Wouldn't that prevent Kroos from playing for any of the four, for which he would be eligible theoretically after getting a British passport?

In real life yes, but this has not been implemented in FM10 i beleive, hence Almunia often being capped by England.

Archived