whats the most goals a central defender has scored in a season?

i refuse to believe it is a bug. i believe roger johnson is a set piece receiving beast.

If your DC is scoring 20 a season from set pieces you are most certainly exploiting the ME. You shouldn't even need people to tell you this :confused:

Had a defender score 17 goals last season for me. Was playing in Spanish Liga Adelante. Just used the default setups for corners and freekicks, but I did change the distribution of corners to the 6 yard box. That's it. No exploitation of ME.

Bottom line is that it's sad that we can no longer be happy about defender scoring load of goals from corner/free kick. You'd never heard about corner bug when your two defenders found the net more easily than Clint Dempsey in every match, you're happy, but later you'd find it awkward to see your two different DCs on your top scorers history for two seasons, then you'd have to change your set-pieces setting to make yourself and anyone feel better, and months later you'd fire your strikers because he simply suck.

We don't know how he set things up, but even if it is a bug, isn't it more the ME's fault than OP's?

Yes, but the result is still the same: a defender ends up scoring an insane amount of goals, thus the record-breaking figure is pretty much meaningless, regardless of whose "fault" it was.

AFAIK Materazzi holds the record for goals scored by a defender [at least in a top league in recent years], with 12 (and another season with 10). But that year he was in charge of penalties and free kicks too.

Typically the most dangerous defenders can score half a dozen goals, but most of them are also dangerous free-kick takers, and/or offensive fullbacks (R. Carlos, Riise)

A centreback coming forward for corner kicks etc rarely scores more than 3-4 goals per season.

So having some guy scoring 20 in FM reeks of ME exploitation.

Not that I condemn it, as anyone is free to play the game his way, but in such cases the achievements don't mean much.

27goals in 52games on FM 09. my regen CB had a 20 for free kicks, penalty's and heading, so he took every dead ball and then scored the occasional header. was weird having my top goalscorer a defender though!

Archived