What's happening with FM 2011? iPhone

My upgrade is due within the next few months, by which time I'm sure the release of FM 2011 will be in progress for the new season. I'm definately getting an iPhone now it's avaliable on Vodafone. I've played FM 2010 for iPhone, and have a few things I'd want to see. Some small things to do with the display, icons, colours and such which aren't very clean don't really say 'iPhone'. In the match screen, and the detail on the pitch, I don't think it's needed - especially given the point above. I know I would like to see a PC based editor where you could upload your database to your iPhone because I like to put my most local club Basildon United in The Blue Square Premier with no players and staff and start from scratch. As you can see I haven't played it long enough, so for those of you that have, what would you like to see?

• SI Staff

Hi,

Work won't commence on the Fmh2011 version until update 3 is released, so there definitely still time to tell us any suggestions and recommend features for next years version .... While we don't always agree with users we DO pay close attention to such things and have implemented many such suggestions in the past.

• SI Staff
Is that your subtle way of telling me my suggestions are pants Marc :p

Not at all - although I don't agree with all your comments there are some interesting ideas in there.

The main thing I disagree with is 'forcing' the game to be fully compliant with the standard iPhone interface/style (if thats what you meant?), I've tried to respect (and reflect) its use in the game as much as possible however many aspects of the standard iPhone UI don't in my mind fit particularly well with an SMG.

The 'normal' one people ask for in FMH is the 'dot' page system to indicate which page you're on and how many are present when you swipe left/right between pages. The reason this isn't used is simply that it automatically limits the number of pages which can be made available (ie. only as many as you have space for dots to display) - when you've a search system which can return several hundred pages this method simply isn't suitable imho.

(with regards to the 'colour scheme' etc. - that was chosen very much on purpose to be a little 'brighter' and feel more 'fun' than our traditional interface, I think it makes it feel friendlier and less daunting for people - thats a positive in my mind :D)

If you can indicate specific changes in UI where you think improvements can be made and what should (in your mind) be done then I'll obviously take them into consideration (your comment was rather generic in the main I'm afraid).

With regards to the 'editing' - I think thats an interesting idea, but it'll be something which has to be done 'right' in order to feel friendly and allow the majority of users to undertake it, but long term it is something which appeals to me (which is why I implemented a similar system for the PSP game).

the editor is a 'must have' tbh. Id love to have that. Also the editor to be able to edit save games. Marc if possible please take this idea into major consideration.

Also the sqaud selection for international managment is abit annoying cos u have to go on seperate players and call them up andt his can take a while because i think theres a max of 26. It would be good if you can have the same style as psp version with the player name and next to it a Call Up/ Remove button.

If you can indicate specific changes in UI where you think improvements can be made and what should (in your mind) be done then I'll obviously take them into consideration

It might be a good idea to make any link that is clickable a different color than regular text. For example...the link to the reserve squad. I was freaking out because I demoted Fabregas on accident and I couldn't figure out how to promote him. I had to go online to see how to promote people because I didn't realize that you can click on the reserve squad.

• SI Staff
It might be a good idea to make any link that is clickable a different color than regular text. For example...the link to the reserve squad. I was freaking out because I demoted Fabregas on accident and I couldn't figure out how to promote him. I had to go online to see how to promote people because I didn't realize that you can click on the reserve squad.

Thats not a bad idea at all - at the moment if you swipe randomly around a page then anything 'clickable' will change color when you move over it - the reason I didn't make them different colours when clickable was purely to avoid the pages looking potentially 'ugly' with a myriad of colours on them.

Let me mull that over ...

(on the 'reserves' front I agree they're not 'in your face' enough and I have changes planned for that in FMH2011 already .. watch this space ;) )

Thats not a bad idea at all - at the moment if you swipe randomly around a page then anything 'clickable' will change color when you move over it - the reason I didn't make them different colours when clickable was purely to avoid the pages looking potentially 'ugly' with a myriad of colours on them.

(on the 'reserves' front I agree they're not 'in your face' enough and I have changes planned for that in FMH2011 already .. watch this space ;) )

Im getting quite excited for FMH2011

• SI Staff
Is FMH 2011 going to be released on iPad too? I know the current version works fine, but an iPad specific edition would be awesome. To be honest I would even love just an HD skin for the iPhone version to make things a bit sharper.

As I've indicated previously I'd LOVE to do an iPad version but at present there simply isn't a date set in stone for such a version, until there's time for me to make one properly I'd prefer to concentrate 100% on the iPhone game and get that right than release two products which aren't as good as they could be.

PS - FMH2010 plays great on the iPad though

Or an underline like hyperlinks instead of a different color would work. Just tryin to help :)

Also, any plans for teams to have academies and under 16s? I know Jack Wilshere has been at Arsenal since he was 9. I know it might be too much data for our puny little iPhones to handle right now, but is this something that's in the PC version of the game? If it is, I might end up buying that game too!

Or an underline like hyperlinks instead of a different color would work. Just tryin to help :)

Also, any plans for teams to have academies and under 16s? I know Jack Wilshere has been at Arsenal since he was 9. I know it might be too much data for our puny little iPhones to handle right now, but is this something that's in the PC version of the game? If it is, I might end up buying that game too!

It could have regen players that are random like the greyed out players I dont think this will use up as much memory than adding real players :) marc will it be possible

I completely agree with that, and the iPhone version has been well worth the wait. I didn't necessarily mean a new version of the game that would sit somewhere between the PC and handheld versions though - that's not needed IMO because, as you say, the iPhone version plays great on iPad. An app that effectively just adds an HD 'skin' to the standard iPhone version would be perfect.

I agree a HD skin would be great as the images are blurry when using the x2 option on the ipad

• SI Staff
I agree a HD skin would be great as the images are blurry when using the x2 option on the ipad

Its something I definitely would like to do at some point going forward HOWEVER do bear in mind that my main aim at present is supporting the iPhone game and starting to look into options for next years version of that (ie. no promises about when such an item might be available - it definitely won't be in the short term I'm afraid).

Hi Marc

Don't get me wrong, Im not after a date BUT are we looking at a similar release date to the 2010 version? (For the IPOD/Phone version that is).

or, are you looking to bring it in line with the PC/PSP versions?

• SI Staff
Don't get me wrong, Im not after a date BUT are we looking at a similar release date to the 2010 version? (For the IPOD/Phone version that is).

or, are you looking to bring it in line with the PC/PSP versions?

You'll have to wait for an official announcement about such things I'm afraid (which will be much closer to the likely release dates involved most likely) - just a humble developer me ... sorry but there are limits to the gossip I'm allowed to spread on the forums ;)

• 4 months later...

The option to load up to 3 nations would be great.

A much more extensive 2D match engine. Option for highlights and extended highlights would be good. But the ME needs a vast improvement please.

Also a better transfer and contract negotiations.

Press conferences at beginning and end of season, after signing a big player, when taking a new job and before and after major events like cups etc. No need for press conferences before and after every game.

On news items it would be nice if you could click on the links in them. i.e. "Terry had a good game in England's 2-0 win over Italy." - Would be good to click and go straight into "Terry", "England", "Italy" or the "2-0" score for a report. Maybe have the items you can click on underlined like someone else suggested.

Tactics where you can manually move your players into positions rather than having to go into Formations to re-arrange a standard formation.

It should be easier to access your Reserves too.

Include staff so you can hire and fire.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Archived