Attributes or consistency?

I've been wondering about this, for well, years really.

And I was wondering what other managers would choose.

Some players can have a great set of attributes, but an appalling consistency rate. Whereas others can have average attributes, but great consistency.

Sometimes it is nice to think that a player is going to perform, but would you prefer a player who you more or less know what you are going to get from him ?

And how much does 'consistency' actually affect performance ?

I usually only care about attributes.. If they consistent even better if the scout says they aren't.. I don't care. Never had a problem..

Tbh I've never seen adaptability and consistency have any noticeable effect in my saves... I don't know the values but I'm pretty sure that I haven't bought 100s of players and that they all had high consistency and adaptability...

I do think that a team needs a mix.

For example, at Liverpool I had Yossi Benayoun always getting games over players like Messi and Axel Witsel simply because he ALWAYS performed at 6.9 or higher in every game EVER.

His stats said he shouldn't be great, but his consistency was great.

It depends...

If the player has really great attributes, it's not much of a problem if he's inconsistent, as his "bad day" can still be better than Average Joe's "average day" :)

On the other hand, a consistent player will never let you down, while your Top Star might decide that important Champions League game is the ideal starting point for a goal draught.

ANyway, when a scout/coach immediately warns me about a player being inconsistent, I avoid getting him, unless he's really really awesome.

Isn't it possible to improve consistency? I was under the impression (possibly false) that warning and fining players for poor performance had a chance of increasing their consistency if you had the positive reply message (the one that says that they will try harder). I know for a fact you can improve aggression (decrease it) when they get a card in this way and I felt pretty sure that you could do the same with consistency.

Can any one who uses Genie or FMRT shed any light on this?

Archived