The World Cup & FM

The World Cup is the pinnacle of football. Never is anything in football as widely anticipated, talked about, advertised and drooled upon as the start of a World Cup.

So why is FM so rubbish at interpreting that?

I think a massive thing to improve on is the build up of anticipation before big games/tournaments and then the actual participtaion/winning needs to be made more exciting than a mundane wednesday evening away to Wigan.

Some extra coverage would be nice, often I dont even really know who won it or who went out at what stage unles I actively look for it.

Very true. I was stunned to see England won the World Cup on my current save. Managing in Holland at the time with no England internationals in my team meant the final completely passed me by. This is the biggest tournament in the world but comes across as some end of season sideshow that passes one by almost before you've remembered to send a scout to the competition. There should be, possibly optional, expanded media for all of the "big" games of the group stage and certainly for every game of the Quarter Finals onwards.

It's a bit of a problem all round for big games/tournaments. Champions League and Cup Finals really don't get a huge amount off recognition. I suppose it's hard to convey excitement in what is essentially a text based game but I feel more could be done to create an occasion of it

It is indeed going to be difficult in a text based game to make the tournament "feel" important though perhaps little touches here or there could make it a bit better than it is now.

For example, in a World Cup year, in real life, we're constantly hearing of Player X's ambitions and such. How about in game the occasional media message "Everton's England U-21 Midfield Playmaker Joey Jojoson has been consistently wowing crowds with his phenomenal performances lately and with six months until the 2018 World Cup pundits and fans alike are asking Rafa Benitez to seriously consider calling him up."

Or maybe something like "In an interview with SkySports.com, Manchester City defender Michael Michaelson has spoken of his determination to gain a place in the team for the 2022 World Cup Finals in North Korea this year."

Little snippets like that throughout a World Cup season would be interesting touches, providing they're used sparingly so as not to make the novelty wear off. Then, as the World Cup approaches, perhaps after the end of the domestic season more information is released with "breaking news" style statements about high-reputation players who haven't made the grade (not just those in your own team) and a bit more overall information about key players, history, possible tactics and such before World Cup matches with more manager interaction with the media and other managers, fluctuating odds tables if possible. Anything to add a sense of occasion basically.

Archived