International selection and AI managers

I was just clicking around the current crop of regen players for my current England team managed by Paul Ince in year 2021/22

I'm amazed some player dont make his squad let alone his first 11. when selecting squads do Ai managers tak einto account hidden stats that we cant see.? im wondering why some players dont get capped when they score more goals then current players in the squad..?

Just look in real life man! Emile Heskey, 45 appearences for Villa, 5 goals. Darren Bent, 38 appearences for Sunderland, 24 goals....but who is going to the World Cup??

It's just about how the player fits into the team, if he's there rather as a link up player rather than for his individual talents.

Indeed, they do use reputation as a sole basis, Ryan Shawcross never gets into the England team regardless of how well he does at Stoke in the first season. On a new save I bought him to Real Madrid and he's first choice for centreback at the moment right from the start of the game.

Indeed, they do use reputation as a sole basis, Ryan Shawcross never gets into the England team regardless of how well he does at Stoke in the first season. On a new save I bought him to Real Madrid and he's first choice for centreback at the moment right from the start of the game.

In my save Liedson (continental rep) is never called to represent Portugal yet they call up some mediocre strikers with national rep.. (and are reserves)

I've seen some strange selections, especially for friendlies. Many of my club players get left out in the cold and I get a news message about each one, then I look at the England squad and see they have picked 11 strikers, many of which are average at best, only 4 defenders, and left out other stars such as Rooney and Gerrard.

I know some managers experiment in friendlies, but not to this extent.

In my save Liedson (continental rep) is never called to represent Portugal yet they call up some mediocre strikers with national rep.. (and are reserves)

Club reputation & national reputation in portugal can play a role as well. Of the clubs as well as the player, there is a number of factors but it generally revolves around reputations.

Club reputation & national reputation in portugal can play a role as well. Of the clubs as well as the player, there is a number of factors but it generally revolves around reputations.

He was the striker with the highest rep and also the best striker available. Yet they prefered to call up some 34 year old reserve and a 28 year old playing in some greek club. (terrible one btw)

And not really sure about that.. I've had in other games, players with very high reps but just because they weren't in one of the top 3 leagues they werent called up. (even if they had continental/worldwide rep)

Well there is a silly amount of reputations, those 3 leagues also have the highest league reps so that factors in too. Ultimately there is league reputation, the clubs reputation then the players home, nation and world reputations I think. It might not always work, some managers just prefer to pick terrible players on my FM09 save despite still scoring over 100 goals a season Keirrison has been dropped from the Brazil side because he is 35.

I wondered in my game, I have a 21 y/o £31m Dutch Striker who is World Class, just won World Player of the Year, and had 39 Caps for Holland, playing in the Euros and scoring the winner in the European Championship Final for Holland 2 years earlier.

Problem is, the AI never called him up for the World Cup squad :confused:

He was playing the best football of his career (As shown that 6 months later he won World Player of the Year), wasn't injured or anything so I don't understand, so I'm stumped as to why he wasn't picked for the squad.

Anyone got a reason?

Well there is a silly amount of reputations, those 3 leagues also have the highest league reps so that factors in too. Ultimately there is league reputation, the clubs reputation then the players home, nation and world reputations I think. It might not always work, some managers just prefer to pick terrible players on my FM09 save despite still scoring over 100 goals a season Keirrison has been dropped from the Brazil side because he is 35.

Too bad IRL he didn't manage to score 1/10 of that in Benfica.. :D

Managing Porto I've had my share of players that weren't called up to their national squads...

Liedson by far the best striker available wasn't called up until I took control of Portugal. (very odd)

Like I said the ones chosen were at either weaker leagues or in the same league but were reserves. (and their own reputation was lower too)

Belluschi wasn't called up to Argentina... However some pretty poor players were... If it had been just one coach ok, but 4 different coaches and none used him? :(

But then I have Brazil calling up every single brazilian player I have even if one of them is a mediocre player.. (with low rep.. he was switching between a Championship club on loan and my reserves)

Also when I took control of Portugal they decided to call up my worst centre back at Porto so that i couldn't use him in my Portugal squad. :D

Archived