FM or Patrick Vieira being stupid?

Hey

I've just finished my first season with Man City. I did well, finishing 3rd in the league with Patrick Vieira who played a vital role in my team. Although he didn't play every game, he was used for when experience was needed and never let me down.

Towards the end of the season, his form was good so I decided to attempt to extend his contract by one year. It turned out that he wanted two years, and with his age I thought that a one year extension would be reasonable and if he played well in the next season, another extension may be in order.

But he turned down my offers of 60k a week for one year and eventually left on a free transfer. I have just looked at his profile now and he is playing for Siena in Serie A for 16.75k a week.

From my point of view this is very stupid. He has turned out a 60k contract, and to play in the champions league for a 16.75k contract and to avoid relegation.

FM or Patrick's fault?

It is an error that happens time and again.

The player when he is at your club has a certain outlook and reputatin as to what he wants. He then leaves the club and when he becomes a free transfer target it appears that alot of players aims drastically reduce just to get a club.

I'm sure it's a difficult process of getting the coding just right for this particular situation but it is very annoying at times.

Yeah I'm sure it is very hard to get it right every time. Just annoying when he could have played a good role in my team this season.

Let's hope FM becomes a little more realistic with its contracts etc... or be more descriptive as to why the player turns down a contract. I would have been more sympathetic towards him if he went on to join a French team where he can see out his career in his home land. Italy... not so much lol

Maybe he just wanted regular first team place instead of just +1 year of uncertainness :p Not everyone's after the money :D

It sounds just like player can relax and sit down after signing multi-year contract. In reality every player knows that you have to prove yourself every season and for a player like Viera, considering his age and level of playing, he might even prefer 1-year contracts, so that in case he finds himself on the bench, he could move away next Summer without any problems without holding long negotiations about transfer fee with interested clubs.

Seen this happen loads of times when a player is getting on. I would think he is a star player at the club he went to and as they offered him a 2 year contract, there may be other financial rewards for him besides the wages. At his stage of his career, he will just want to play football and Siena have given him that.

Seen this happen loads of times when a player is getting on. I would think he is a star player at the club he went to and as they offered him a 2 year contract, there may be other financial rewards for him besides the wages. At his stage of his career, he will just want to play football and Siena have given him that.

But I was only to give him a good role within my team too... plus champions league football. You would have thought he would of loved to win the champions league 1 last time before he retires.

What may have been a good idea to do is to wait for his contract to end with you and when he is then a free agent try to re-sign him.

Pretty sure I have done this in other versions of FM but don't think I have tried it this year. Normally the benefit is that the player is more likely to accept the contract duration and also a far reduced weekly wage.

• SI Staff

This sort of thing can always be seen as a 'bug' - but its likely that he's looking to extend his playing career as long as possible, if things haven't changed since last time I looked at the database he's got mental attributes and suchlike which are VERY suited to moving into coaching/management and as such will likely look towards extending his career and moving into such a role - as such moving to a smaller club isn't a bad idea for him as it is likely to open up such a role.

(as such yeah possibly it 'could' be a bug, but it might not be - if anything I'd say the main thing is we need to add in additional text explaining why people do certain things so people can know the reasoning and thus defuse any confusion ... right I'm off to hide in the Handheld version forums again ;) )

I use it to my advantage when looking at players who's contracts are expiring. They will be asking for much higher wages whilst they are in contract - once they are released they generally accept a much lower wage.

Also trialing players before signing usually reduces the wages the player is looking for.

This sort of thing can always be seen as a 'bug' - but its likely that he's looking to extend his playing career as long as possible, if things haven't changed since last time I looked at the database he's got mental attributes and suchlike which are VERY suited to moving into coaching/management and as such will likely look towards extending his career and moving into such a role - as such moving to a smaller club isn't a bad idea for him as it is likely to open up such a role.

(as such yeah possibly it 'could' be a bug, but it might not be - if anything I'd say the main thing is we need to add in additional text explaining why people do certain things so people can know the reasoning and thus defuse any confusion ... right I'm off to hide in the Handheld version forums again ;) )

Can you reintroduce the option to offer a player a player/coach contract?

When a player is getting on a bit and they have 'definately going to coach when retires', we should have the option to ask them to become a player/coach. The choice will still be down to the player at the end of the day but I think it should be included as it does happen.

Thanks for the clarification. He does seem to want to become a coach, and I was more than willing to offer him a job as I feel he would be a great coach and role model to the players.

Shame, I may have to sign him as a coach later on :thup:

Not a bad shout tbh, I think additional text explaining certain player actions would be a fantastic addition for that very reason.

Archived