Squad roles for loanee's

When the computer loan's a player it says something like " ... feel the player would act as cover for the first team".

But why can't you state the role you have in mind for a loan player when attempting to sign them? Surely if one team wants him as a cover player and you want him for the first team, that might influence his current clubs decision as to where to loan him out to, likewise it might influence his personal decision as to where to go on loan to - just like for players signing on a permanent basis, with their squad role (key player/first team/rotation/backup) playing a part in their decision.

To be honest, I see it more of a gameplay mechanic than anything else. I think it is just there to you give you a better idea of what you'll/the player will get out of the loan deal.

It is a gameplay mechanic, I agree, but it should also influence if a human manager is able to convince a high-profile loanee to join his/her club. A hot prospect may balk at a season-long loan move to a club if he's going to sit on the bench or provide cover, but a first team role might convince him that it's worth his while to join a club on loan if he's going to be a key feature of the team.

It is an important element that needs to be added.

I sometimes amass a range of talented youngsters on loan but do not play them huge amounts due to how many I get in. In real life a manager of a premiership club isn't going to want to loan a good prospect to a L1 team and expect them to only play sporadically.

A good addition is whereby a parent club threatens to call back their talented star if they are not given more play time. May be difficult to code into the game due to the specifics of it but would add to the realism.

Basically it's saying, "our scout gave him 2.5 stars."

The game doesn't know how you're planning to use the player - it assumes you'll be using him in his strongest position, for example - so it would be better if you could make a promise.

His team would probably cancel the loan if you broke it.

Archived