Sweeper Keeper ? Do you ever use it ?

There are a number of quality sweeper/keepers in game and those with the right stats can do a fantastic job.

There is a thread about them I'm GPTG.

Makes me laugh to see them dismissed out of hand by people who haven't even used them.

I will look at the thread. I dont trust keepers to play as sweeper but will look into it as I play a high defensive line and if I have the right keeper I might give it a try and hopefully be proven wrong :)

Pepe Reina is very good at this, I signed him for Man City and use him in as sweeper keeper on support duty. He is very quick for a keeper, so will often beat strikers to the ball, and has good ball skills. Also allows for quick counter attacks.

Manuel Neuer :)

you will see at wc :)

I don't know who told those young keepers (Neuer & Adler) that you have to run out of your goal to be a good modern keeper. Sometimes it seems like they run out of their goal because they 'have to' without knowing what they're doing. To say it with the words of Tim Wiese: 'Modern goalkeeping means keeping a cleansheet'.

Maybe one can use a sweeper keeper to raise pressure on opponents when in need of a goal in the last minutes by having him collecting clearances and getting the ball forward instead of just standing on his line? I'm not sure, I'm just guessing.

I have a regen keeper with about 17 for pace and accelaration, but only 11 for rushing out. Would he be a decent sweeper keeper?

what is his "decisions" rating? you don't want him rushing out at the wrong time.

Pepe Reina springs to mind when I hear 'sweeper keeper'.

Was going to say this. I like Reina, think he's a class goalkeeper - I always use this option regardless of who I manage. But then, to be perfectly honest, I never really notice anything different between that and standard goalkeeper settings. Of course, I might not know what I'm supposed to be looking for! :D

I use sweeper keeper in the last 10 minutes if i'm not winning. clears up thru balls and keeps the ball in the opposition half the majority of the time. prone to the odd mistake but if i lose the match i blame it on the previous 80 minutes anyway so sod it!

I use it all the time unless my keeper is extremely slow (pace under 5). It has proven to be very effective, especially as I play with a high defensive line. However, yes, my sweeper keeper does sometimes make mistakes (about 2 or 3 times per season), but it is worth it for the sweeping/assists.

Archived