Discussion: Rotation vs Regular Xl

I've just began my second season with Swansea in league 1 after disappointingly losing in the playoff final on penalties last season. Anyway i've built quite a good squad up now and I find myself in a bit of dilema especially in attacking areas.

I have a number of quality players in my squad but obviously I can't play them all at the same time. I was just interested in everyones opinions on the use of rotation in this game or whether you tend to stick with a regular first Xl.

Also do you tend to listen to you assistants advice on your best team or do you trust you own judgement more and play the players you personally think will do the job for you.

I've just began my second season with Swansea in league 1 after disappointingly losing in the playoff final on penalties last season. Anyway i've built quite a good squad up now and I find myself in a bit of dilema especially in attacking areas.

I have a number of quality players in my squad but obviously I can't play them all at the same time. I was just interested in everyones opinions on the use of rotation in this game or whether you tend to stick with a regular first Xl.

Also do you tend to listen to you assistants advice on your best team or do you trust you own judgement more and play the players you personally think will do the job for you.

i generally stick to a strong team with good backups you can easily replace long term injuries. ive found rotating players doesnt work well in FM.

assisstant managers and scouts dont tend to always give the best advice. however, if i start with a club im not familliar with i do listen to some of the assisstants suggestions.

You've got to rotate them at some point in the game; otherwise if you keep on playing the same 11 throughout most of the game, by the time you have to replace the old players you might find some difficulties in having the 'heir' young player fitting in the team.

I don't think keeping a promising young player in the reserves is going to get them to reach their full potential at the time they are supposed to step in the shoes of their mentors, though.

I've heard somewhere that it takes around 10-15 games for a player to gel with his team-mates, and that could potentially be a season-costing streak of games. By the time the new player is 'gelled' and ready to assume the role of the retired one, you might be trailing by some way off.

So, I think it's better to rotate for the easier games, but keep the best 11 on hand for the tough ones. You can try mixing the old and young players up a bit if you are not confident of your youngsters, though.

That's actually the problem I'm having. The mighty ones are retiring... It started with Cissé, I managed to replace him without much of a worry because of an injury he sustained (Lupoli took over and did very well for himself) becoming the clubs top scorer for that season and actually phasing Cissé out unintentionally.

Next was Elano, Juanfran just didn't gel quick enough for the right mid position and I had major issues down the right hand side, eventually ending in me replacing Juanfran with my now star Costanzo and his backup Lenny.

Van der Vaart wasn't an issue in his position with Fernandez performing better than I ever could have hoped in it, but Fernandez's vacated left mid position has been a problem, but his replacement Adu has done well for himself after about 15-20 matches and is now a star for the team. On a side note I took Fernandez of freekick taking after about a month after signing him, he couldn't hit the crowd if he tried! But since I gave him a second chance half a season later he can't stop scoring them.

Then there's Makoun, he was one of the few that I rotated out for a season before selling him. Best way to do it from what I can tell.

Eddie Johnson forced me to replace him with his terrible form over the last season. With a few injuries I've had to use him again, he's finally back to his old self, but he can't replace the Carroll-Lupoli partnership, and so is back in the reserves now Lupoli is back.

The best way to replace aging players is to phase them out over about 6 months to a season.

Now, with the 7 players for the 2 positions situation thing, I've been there before. This is what forced me to replace Makoun and Johnson basically (apart from Johnson not scoring in 20 matches). Because of the number of good midfield players I had I ditched my old attacking 442 and replaced it with my 3-4-1-2 freerole. So at the time I had; Elano, Makoun, Troisi, Mascherano, Van der Vaart, Jones, Jimenez and Vidal all of which were world class midfielders. So I ended up compramising on this formation:

.......Johnson..Cissé

.........Van der Vaart

Troisi.Makoun.Mascherano.Elano

....Skrtel..Vidal..Bouhlarouz

............Ochoa

From the original:

........Johnson .Cissé

Troisi..Makoun..Van der Vaart..Elano

Vidal..Skrtel..Bouhlarouz..Nyatanga

............Ochoa

I never found a use for Jones and he left on a Bosman move, after a season at reading was worth £15 off million and then got injured and he career has been winding down. Also, the other reason I liked a back 3 is because I lack a good right-back, I got one, but he was a wingebag and I ended up selling him.

So if you have a lot of players for a certain position change your formation to suit your squad. Also, don't do a rotation of new players for more new players, the team just won't work, make sure you keep lots of players from the previous season in your first team.

I select my best first 11 and this plays all the important games and the first 15 games of the season, injuries permitting. Then I tend to keep the core of the team, GK, 2 DCS, AMC and one ST and rotate the others, especially at home against weaker teams. By the end of the season, no-one has played more that 80% of the games and most have played at least 10 which keeps them all reasonably happy.

I tend to choose my best 11 before the season starts, and I'll generally stick with those players.

The only times when I'll chop and change will be for reasons such as:

- Poor condition/Fitness

- Severe drop in form

- Complaints about lack of competitive matches from my stronger backups

- I'm playing a much weaker team/playing in an unimportant match

I never seem to have much success with rotation, it helps to keep that core of your team intact for them to develop a good understanding and play well together.

I've always been a rotation man, I seem to have too many good players not to be (bear in mind that I'm playing FM05, easier than FM08 from what I've heard). However that's changed *a little* lately; my captain Danny Wilkinson plays every game unless he's below around 85% fitness, and I'm trying to come up with a first-choice back four that always plays.

I play a a rotated side for every cup game. Then when I/ if I reach the final. I keep the guys in the starting 11 that have performed well enough to be there.

In the league I usually keep the same team going until I want to change my tactics. Though I like to change about 3 names on the sheet every 4 games or so.

I try and have a first XI I play in all league games and a full bench of subs who are of similar atandard to the first teamers. These subs play every cup game I have, along with some of my promising youngsters and backup players. This means I usually have decent cup runs and can swap in first teamers for big games, and my league team stays fresh

I usually have a 22 man first team squad. Two players for every position.

I think of my best 11 as the first team and they play all the big matches. About 35 - 40 matches a year.

The first team are usually 5 star players and the second team is made up of promising youngsters and 4 star players.

I usually swap the complete 11 players at a time.

The first team play about 2/3rds of the matches. This tends to keep the first team reasonably fresh.

This works with my Rangers team. Won 7 champions league in a row, plus 10 consecutive domestic titles.

I have a first XI and I like sticking to them, but they are never healthy and I need to play a rotation most of my current season.

In league games: My first XI always plays at the start of each game, and I usually have 4 subs that I rotate through the season. Late in the season, and when I've clinched (or nearly clinched) the league title, I start my subs and insert reserve players on the bench.

In Cup games: I start my subs, backups, and youngsters in every cup game up to the quarter-finals, then I use my starting XI and my main 3-4 subs for my remainder cup games.

I used to Rafa rotate to the extreme that I would make 10 changes every match (the goalie playing every game), but since I've improved my fitness, it's usually 2/3 changes (I havn't yet worked out my best strike partnership). My "second XI" so to speak usually plays 15 gmaes a season.

I rotate a deep bench so that I always play a team that is close to 100% - never less than 94%. As long as they play 25 or more games they have not complained. If I do not think a player will play 25 games I loan them out - I was surprised that even 28 and 30 year old players will loan back to their home country for a year and be happy playing first team ball. This has allowed a two DM rotation in 2010 of Mascerano, Hargreaves, Pirlo, Viera and Barton to stay vibrant and happy for Newcastle. Now in 2011 I play one DM, moved Barton to AM C and I now have Pirlo on loan for 1st team Bologna soccer with a recall allowance for extra depth.

I build a 22 man squad and split them into 2 teams (not best and worst, I try and balance them out) then rigidly alternate them. Subs are hot prospects not quite upto 1st team standard yet.

Keeps everyone happy (even worldclass players on indispensable contracts) 100% condition and matchfit

I have no first X1. I normally have two or 3 best players who have dibs on a position when fit but I rotate my team lots of morale, fitness and form.

I find this way I do bring youngsters through and keep everyone happy except the back up keeper who always winges

It depends on the fixtures and condition of the players.

When I manage a rubbish team and go out of cups at the first ask, I'll have one game a week and so can keep a First XI playing regularly, injuries permitting.

However, with a successful side competing for multiple trophies, rotation is necessary - the players just can't keep their condition high playing 2 games per week, every week.

Then, I have a policy of 2 players for each outfield position and rotate them. For an easy cup tie or league game I might give a reserve/youth a run-out too.

I try to keep a settled side where possible, it seems to get me the best results. Outside the teams in Europe your players aren't really going to get too tired from playing every game unless you go a long way in one or more cup competitions. I also can't afford the luxury of a big, high quality squad as I don't have the finances for it. And if I get in trouble through injuries or whatever I'll just use the loan market.

am i the only one who does actually use a rotation system, i have say 2 or 3 key players, usually my gk a cb and then a midfielder then i rotate the other positions based on form, i have arond 24 young players who could all play in my first team, so i just put one lot in the reserves and one lot in thefirst team then swap and change when i feel the need. works pretty well.

I manage to give every player in my 22 man squad at least 20 games a season by rotating every match. The guts of the first team are there that play week in week out but get rested against weaker opposition, i'm helped by having youth players in a few positions so when it comes to it I can alternate between them regularly.

rotation rotation rotation thats my policy

i have a team of at least 22 most of the time 30 because some posiitons players are more likely to get injured such as ML/MR and FC. and rotate every game

and if i have the money i will ussaly buy good youngsters and send them out on loan but with recall clauses so if the possilbity that all my players in one position get injured i have youth backup

i tend to keep the same regular XI as much as reasonably possible, but rotate an entirely new 2nd XI in matches against lower sides before big games. e.g. at derby at home before champions league semi against real madrid i would play a 2nd XI.

I try to play my best XI for the first half of the season & in the second half rotate 2/3 positions every 2/3 games. Other than that I purely base who plays & who doesn't on form & fitness.

I try to maintain a 1st team squad of 22 & blood some youngsters throughout the seaon (roughly 10 appearances).

i identify a potential first 11 at the start of the season and then rotate particular positions for reasons such as fitness, form or difficulty level of game. my cb partnership gets the least rotation though.

Pretty much play my strongst 11 every match, like to make good use of substitutes though to keep my main back up players match fit. If I have a reserve side most of my most important back up players get quite a few games for them over the course of a season to keep their fitness up.

I'm noticing that quite a lot of people do rotate players instead of playing always with the first 11.

However please note that the way FM08 has been programmed, you HAVE to keep playing with the first 11, since constantly changing players would ruin the bond between players.

From time to time I check with my assistant the level of understanding the team has. Normally he tells me: "the players have forged a storng level of understanding" (or something of the sort). Sometimes he even informs me that: "the players are willing to die for each other". At this level, even if you play against a much stronger team, you can beat it.

Lately I had to change 6 players from my first 11. 2 were injured, 2 suspended and 2 on international duty. Due to these sudden changes, my assitant has informed me that: "there is a worrying lack of cohesion between players". Result? In the next 3 matches I got a draw and 2 defeats against bottom of the table clubs (I was first).

So how can you say you play on a rotation basis and keep on winning? On FM08 it's simply impossible!!!

I always swap my 9 outfield players every game only Reina and Torres usually hold their positions but when Torres is low on condition I play Ageuro up front, normally I alternate between Gerrard and Ageuro in the AMC role, I did an O.B.E. on the title in my first season and won the Quadrouple.

I only use a rotation when needed, i.e. with injuries, international call-ups or suspensions.

I do substitute 3 players (almost) every match.

Towards the end of a season, when I know a player is moving to another team, I try to ease his replacement into the team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm noticing that quite a lot of people do rotate players instead of playing always with the first 11.

However please note that the way FM08 has been programmed, you HAVE to keep playing with the first 11, since constantly changing players would ruin the bond between players.

From time to time I check with my assistant the level of understanding the team has. Normally he tells me: "the players have forged a storng level of understanding" (or something of the sort). Sometimes he even informs me that: "the players are willing to die for each other". At this level, even if you play against a much stronger team, you can beat it.

Lately I had to change 6 players from my first 11. 2 were injured, 2 suspended and 2 on international duty. Due to these sudden changes, my assitant has informed me that: "there is a worrying lack of cohesion between players". Result? In the next 3 matches I got a draw and 2 defeats against bottom of the table clubs (I was first).

So how can you say you play on a rotation basis and keep on winning? On FM08 it's simply impossible!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Highly doubt this is true. I usually have a squad of about 25 in the first team, and I rotate between a completely different Team A and Team B. In my current season, I still have a 3rd GK, RB and ST who's not in either Team A or B and have to be rotated in for some game time as well.

So far no one's unhappy and I still get the "the players are willing to die for each other" message from the assistant. I think this may be related more to how many new signings you have perhaps, in addition to the other usual factors like winning games - you definitely don't need a settled first 11 for it.

playing players with "Slt" next to their names seemed to have a negative effect for my arsenal team, so everybody was rotated in my squad (aguero, walcott and captain toure were worried by the lack of managerial discipline after i told bendtner he was going to get more games). dropping Aguero for bendtner was the best thing i did last season. despite 40 goals, dropping benzema for van persie also had a very positive effect. all 4 strikers were in double figures, bendts the best ratio by far.

its good to rotate, especially when you get a bunch of injuries and replacements are match fit. i find it impossible to field the same team 2/3 times in a row, fatigue and injuries put pay to that idea.

i hope SI tone down the player unhappiness a little, i can understand a player being annoyed when he was given a squad status of key player yet warms the bench, but surely they would support a team mate if he wanted more games (unless they play the same position), or keep their noses out completely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wen1234:

Highly doubt this is true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll leave the discussion in your hands then...since it looks like your're the only mouth of truth here!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nautilus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wen1234:

Highly doubt this is true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll leave the discussion in your hands then...since it looks like your're the only mouth of truth here!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rotate and don't get any problems with their levels of understanding. It all depends on how you rotate. If you do it in a way that keeps a backbone in your side relatively unchanged you'll get no ill effects.

The game is not programmed to block rotating, just to punish people who do it wrong.

I usually stick to the same backline+keeper to ensure better understanding at the back.

Then usually there are 1-2 players who are ahead the others in terms of ability, so they play when fit.

The others get rotated quite often.

At the moment my tactic involves quite a lot of running and quick playing in the midfield, so I have to rotate there heavily in order to keep fitness levels high.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nautilus:

However please note that the way FM08 has been programmed, you HAVE to keep playing with the first 11, since constantly changing players would ruin the bond between players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

QFT

This is the reason I came to check the forums today. Me and a mate both picked up copies of FM08 at the same time. I've traditionally been all about rotation, not playing any player whose condition is below 95% if I can help it and having two nearly equal players in every position. I've had a very hard time in FM08 and have spent ages on here figuring out how to tweak my tactics and what's bad for morale. In contrast, my mate just stuck with pretty much the same eleven and is having no problem, I think he's even on default tactics.

This is one of the silliest aspects of the game, as the biggest clubs now all have huge squads and rest players all the time. Yet another reason to go back to FM05.

I try and keep the best 11 as long as I can, if he doesnt perform I sub him, if the sub is doing better then he has earnt himself a place - if not - tactic change.

once the regens start coming good i try to give them easy games though

Archived