Disenchanted with the game.

My chairman decides to sell the last 3 strikers that have been decent for me, leaving me with utter balls. I have now failed to score in 6 games, even against MK Dons who have the worst championship defensive record EVER! My promotion charge is gone, and a team that is amazing, suddenly turns bollocks when one striker leaves?! Yeah right!

if you're using the same tactical system that may be based around having a good player in that strikers role then yes your team is going to do badly if you haven't replaced him awith another good striker. Try changing things around before you resort to criticising the game.

if you're using the same tactical system that may be based around having a good player in that strikers role then yes your team is going to do badly if you haven't replaced him awith another good striker. Try changing things around before you resort to criticising the game.

Yeh because he has no right to be angry that 3 players have been sold without his permission. Stupid rule that shouldn't be in the game, thankfully i havent had to deal with it yet.

Yeh because he has no right to be angry that 3 players have been sold without his permission. Stupid rule that shouldn't be in the game, thankfully i havent had to deal with it yet.

it happens irl, a manager doesn't have control over all transfers. In fact many managers have little say in transfers at all.

I can't see how its stupid exactly, the owner of the club should have every right to sell the players he wants if he gets good offers.

I know it happens, but it should not be in the game. Not everything that happens in real life has to be included. it almost defeats the point of bothering trying to improve your team. And i doubt the chairman would sell ALL 3 strikers in real life unless they were in serious debt.

I think the "interfering owners" have a place in the game, just because nowadays it is a reality for some football clubs. And some owners are more stingy than others.

I do agree though that sometimes they are too extreme in accepting offers (I've resigned a few times because of this), even when the finances are fine.

I know it happens, but it should not be in the game. Not everything that happens in real life has to be included. it almost defeats the point of bothering trying to improve your team. And i doubt the chairman would sell ALL 3 strikers in real life unless they were in serious debt.

If this wasn't in the game it would instantly become way to easy to rocket to the top, with the right signings people can already take clubs to unrealistic heights compared to the time they do it in. All the OP has to do is cop what his chairman has done and then look to rebuild. Unfortunately for him posting a rant doesn't solve his problem, i don't mind him complaining but the title of the thread says it all he obviously feels its unfair and unrealistic but as irl not everyhting will go your way.

how do you know his team arent in serious debt?

So basically the most realistic football management sim on the market shouldn't be realistic??

I understand that it's not liked but this happens IRL so it's in the game.

Maybe an enhancement could be added to allow for negotiation of transfers, maybe as your rep goes up, so does the boards willingness to grant you full responsibility... There will always be those chairmen who won't, such as real madrid (who i believe have actually handed all control to mourinho now i think about it and contradict myself), in any case it would ad to the manager contract renewals and then we know what we'd be letting ourselves in for etc - could do a curbishley/keegan if they didn't keep their word...

>ahem< doesn't help the op though, strikers in the non-elite leagues are always difficult to find, let alone 3! That's the damned if you do part of playing the lower leagues though!

There is a way around it if the interested clubs ask you how much you want for them. You just negotiate to a ridiculous fee that will scare them off and they won't end up making an offer that your chairmen will accept on your behalf.

It happens far too regularly, and you have no control of it at all. You can't even protest about it. You can't say anything about it. You can't tell the media you're annoyed. You can't tell the chairman "stop interfering or I'll quit".

I spent 3 years at a club in my career game building the team, I found a Brazilian striker with limitless potential, who I knew would help me win the Dutch title in a couple of years (he was on a 5 year deal). Just as I'm starting to push towards the top of the table, he goes and sells the kid.

Basically wasted the entire time I'd spent at that club, the game/ai/chairman stealing my hard work in finding, buying and developing his talent, without any recourse in-game.

In the end I got my revenge by selling the entire team for peanuts, sacking all my world class staff, replacing them with crap, then buying 25 free agents on 1.5 million per year for 5 years, after buying a crap player for the entire 14 million transfer fund. Then quit the club. They free-falled, going from 3rd when I left (half-way through the season), to just barely surviving relegation, relegated the next season, then barely surviving again.

They are now bankrupt as well.

I hope you enjoyed the money you bastard chairman. Before you lost it all.

It happens far too regularly, and you have no control of it at all. You can't even protest about it. You can't say anything about it. You can't tell the media you're ****ed. You can't tell the chairman "stop interfering or I'll quit".

I spent 3 years at a club in my career game building the team, I found a Brazilian striker with limitless potential, who I knew would help me win the Dutch title in a couple of years (he was on a 5 year deal). Just as I'm starting to push towards the top of the table, he goes and sells the kid.

Basically wasted the entire time I'd spent at that club, the game/ai/chairman stealing my hard work in finding, buying and developing his talent, without any recourse in-game.

In the end I got my revenge by selling the entire team for peanuts, sacking all my world class staff, replacing them with ****, then buying 25 free agents on 1.5 million per year for 5 years, after buying a **** player for the entire 14 million transfer fund. Then quit the club. They free-falled, going from 3rd when I left (half-way through the season), to just barely surviving relegation, relegated the next season, then barely surviving again.

Thats just ridiculous, he sells one star player and you can't be bothered to rebuild? I'm afraid if you spent 3 years at a club and this one star player is all you have to show for it thats fairly poor, i mean it might have been your greatest accomplishment but i find it hard to believe you hadn't achieved any other good signings or made any good progress.

I think you threw away everything you'd done in 3 years because you couldn't cop your chairman selling your best player.

My "one star player" was the backbone of the team. His goal scoring record was roughly 68 in 75.

When you only get 3 to 5 million per season to spend, it takes time to build the club. And no, he wasn't my only good signing, I'd improved the squad immensely overall. I'd built the facilities from average to world class (both training and youth). I took them from being in debt to being 20 million up. I found this star player even with the limited funds. I started pushing the team towards a top 3 position from the original lower mid-table position when I started.

The AI chairman doesn't deserve to have any influence on my decisions.

It's just an AI. It's purpose should be to help the human player, not to fight against them. Or at least, not throw up such a ridiculous block to my progress like selling my star player.

If I could've issued an ultimatum to not sell the player, I'd have just quit/been sacked. But this was the only way I could get back. I'd built the club, so I'd destroy it if I wanted to. Not the ai/chairman. That simple.

It happens far too regularly, and you have no control of it at all. You can't even protest about it. You can't say anything about it. You can't tell the media you're ****ed. You can't tell the chairman "stop interfering or I'll quit".

In the end I got my revenge by selling the entire team for peanuts, sacking all my world class staff, replacing them with ****, then buying 25 free agents on 1.5 million per year for 5 years, after buying a **** player for the entire 14 million transfer fund. Then quit the club. They free-falled, going from 3rd when I left (half-way through the season), to just barely surviving relegation, relegated the next season, then barely surviving again.

Please see if you can post without using the swear filter- it is not necessary

I disagree that it happens too often, it only happens with certain chair men and I have managed a dozen team in FM10 and I have not had a chairman sell a player from under me.

It is a trait of certain chairmen, and you either have to change teams to a less interfering chairman or hang on in there until he leaves.

(As it is your game and you can play it how ever you want, you could also use FMRTE to change his interference to 1, so he never gets involved in your affairs).

I've never had a chairman sell one of my players. As soon as a player appears to be getting a lot of attention I set his asking price to £0 and then reject all offers. Then clubs always offer £0 and the chairman never thinks it's too good to refuse.

I've never had a chairman sell one of my players. As soon as a player appears to be getting a lot of attention I set his asking price to £0 and then reject all offers. Then clubs always offer £0 and the chairman never thinks it's too good to refuse.

that is a idea and a half!

is it fool proof yes?

is it fool proof yes?

wouldnt the player get angry/unhappy at rejecting big teams offers??

i read somewhere that someone puts their players value sky high putting other teams off bidding, any bids that do come in are pretty high due to this and worth selling to replace for cheaper making a little money in the process :thup:

I think the "interfering owners" have a place in the game, just because nowadays it is a reality for some football clubs. And some owners are more stingy than others.

I do agree though that sometimes they are too extreme in accepting offers (I've resigned a few times because of this), even when the finances are fine.

I agree that they have a place in the game as it's realistic.

I think it depends on the Chairman's stats, if their interference rating is high then it's more likely to happen

it is frustrating when it happens to you though

My "one star player" was the backbone of the team. His goal scoring record was roughly 68 in 75.

When you only get 3 to 5 million per season to spend, it takes time to build the club. And no, he wasn't my only good signing, I'd improved the squad immensely overall. I'd built the facilities from average to world class (both training and youth). I took them from being in debt to being 20 million up. I found this star player even with the limited funds. I started pushing the team towards a top 3 position from the original lower mid-table position when I started.

The AI chairman doesn't deserve to have any influence on my decisions.

It's just an AI. It's purpose should be to help the human player, not to fight against them. Or at least, not throw up such a ridiculous block to my progress like selling my star player.

If I could've issued an ultimatum to not sell the player, I'd have just quit/been sacked. But this was the only way I could get back. I'd built the club, so I'd destroy it if I wanted to. Not the ai/chairman. That simple.

Just so you're aware, a manager doesn't own the club. The chairman is your boss he has more power over the club than you do and thats the way it should stay as it reflects real life. Its ridiculous to suggest he should have no influence on your decisions as it doesn't work like that irl in any job.

Just so you're aware, a manager doesn't own the club. The chairman is your boss he has more power over the club than you do and thats the way it should stay as it reflects real life. Its ridiculous to suggest he should have no influence on your decisions as it doesn't work like that irl in any job.

unless your jose ;)

Normally when the chairmen sell my players its for a huge profit, so I just get my scout reports and get someone with the money, potentially improving the team hence:

Buy a player for 1 million

Sell him for 6

Use that 6 million to get a new player

That way you have a 6 million pound player for a net spend of 1 million

Someone said you should be allowed to say if you sell him I quit or something similar?

Yupp threatin to quit always works...oh wait were talking about FM my mistake.

Im pretty sure if managers said sell him and I quit in real life then they would get the response, close the door on your way out.

If this genuinely spoils your enjoyment of the game, you could always go into the in-game editor and change the chairman's interference level to something lower: a 10 or below.

I do this sometimes but haven't had too yet this time round.

I agree that they have a place in the game as it's realistic.

I think it depends on the Chairman's stats, if their interference rating is high then it's more likely to happen

it is frustrating when it happens to you though

It should only happen if it truly needs too. Not just because the AI decides it wants 3 of your star players and it'll get them without you having a say.

Every club is a buisness if they have a chance to make a profit why not?

Because if you keep your best players you'll likely make a profit sooner rather than later by having success, its just plain stupidity to get rid of them and you'll most likely end up relegated. Brilliant! You wont even get all the money you need to replace them depending on which club you are, knowing this game...

I think such things should depend on the how much influence you the manager have. If you are a successful manager then the owner should more inclined to allow to continue as you are because you are obviously doing well and bringing in money. That being said, owners still have the right to accept bids...they just need to do it more intelligently.

Heck, I remember in 08 abramovich signed a player behind my back.....

Meh, I actually like selling (for profit), so nobody's ever had to force me.

It helps to always have a similar sort of player as backup. He doesn't have to be as good, but at least you won't have to adapt your tactics much and experiment late in the season during vital games.

I think such things should depend on the how much influence you the manager have. If you are a successful manager then the owner should more inclined to allow to continue as you are because you are obviously doing well and bringing in money. That being said, owners still have the right to accept bids...they just need to do it more intelligently.

That right there is the problem, the AI is not intelligent enough to do this sort of thing properly.

Because if you keep your best players you'll likely make a profit sooner rather than later by having success, its just plain stupidity to get rid of them and you'll most likely end up relegated. Brilliant! You wont even get all the money you need to replace them depending on which club you are, knowing this game...

Depends what league your in a brilliant league one player would be replaced by the time you get to the championship odds on for less money too.

it happens irl, a manager doesn't have control over all transfers. In fact many managers have little say in transfers at all.

I can't see how its stupid exactly, the owner of the club should have every right to sell the players he wants if he gets good offers.

if thats the case then why have a manager at all if they want to do it ther own way?

No, the chairman is an AI actor in a game that's supposed to be fun and enjoyable (and before anyone asks, I don't get my enjoyment out of it being 'easy').

The club is my club. I own that club as far as I'm concerned. I sell players. I hire staff. I buy players. I set tactics. I set training. The decisions I make contribute far more to the success or failure of the club than the AI manager.

It's also my game.

So I do infact have far more power than any chairman in this game. I even have the ultimate power of simply quitting the game entirely.

That is why I do "own" the club.

There is a difference between working inside set parameters, like wage and transfer budgets, and even expectations, and a no-recourse AI decision made to sell a player from under the nose of the human player-manager.

If they sell the star players you've purchased and developed, without giving you a choice, SI might as well make the chairmen tell you what formation to play. That'd be just as stupid as selling off my players.

No, the chairman is an AI actor in a game that's supposed to be fun and enjoyable (and before anyone asks, I don't get my enjoyment out of it being 'easy').

The club is my club. I own that club as far as I'm concerned. I sell players. I hire staff. I buy players. I set tactics. I set training. The decisions I make contribute far more to the success or failure of the club than the AI manager.

It's also my game.

So I do infact have far more power than any chairman in this game. I even have the ultimate power of simply quitting the game entirely.

There is a difference between working inside set parameters, like wage and transfer budgets, and even expectations, and a no-recourse AI decision made to sell a player from under the nose of the human player-manager.

If they sell the star players you've purchased and developed, without giving you a choice, SI might as well make the chairmen tell you what formation to play. That'd be just as stupid as selling off my players.

^ what he said.

is it fool proof yes?

Pretty much. Sometimes the player gets unhappy, but it's working okay in my game. I have a striker who is too good for my league, but he isn't bothered that I have rejected literally hundreds of offers for him. problem is, his form has dipped recently, so I may cash in and find someone better.

It's also my game.

The thing is as much as we feel like it, because of the fact that it is a game we paid for, the teams we manage don't belong to. They're not our clubs. If they were we wouldn't need our contracts renewed every few years. This game is meant to be simulation of real life football and in real life there are meddling managers. That is why I feel that I am ok with it happening in the game.

Even if you are the number one team in the world, you can't expect teams not to come sniffing around your best players. And when these teams have the money that the likes Man City or Real Madrid (this can be scaled down depending on who you managing), it can be expected that a particular transfer can be taken out of your hands.

I really feel for the OP and I do think that this particular situation should not have happened and would not have happened in real life unless the team was in real financial trouble. Unless your owner is really dumb, he would not step in and pretty much sell all of your strikers. Now if had only been one of his strikers, or even 2 and they were BIG money transfers and there was sufficient time to find a back up, then this would ok to me as it as this is part of the everyday life of being a manager when you don't have the power of a real madrid or a barcelona or a man utd.

That being said, I will repeat what I said earlier: There is a need for SI to look at/improve the intelligence of figures in the game that can influence your experience (i.e. the board, assistant managers, the players etc.).

So in summary, what happened to the OP should not have happened. No owner would cripple his own team by selling all their strikers.

However, owners stepping in and selling players is realistic because it happens in real life. They own the club so they can pretty much do what they want. AI should be smarter.

I hope get what I am trying the say SeanNUFC. You shouldn't want something removed from the game just because it's in game implementation needs some improvement.

If you want no chairman, play FIFA or manually change his interference to 0. SI has removed a lot of the frustrating interactions between boards/chairmen and the manager, but the game needs some moments of anger to keep it grounded in reality. That's life.

I will second those who are calling for an ultimatum type statement, or a way of complaining to the press.

If you want no chairman, play FIFA or manually change his interference to 0. SI has removed a lot of the frustrating interactions between boards/chairmen and the manager, but the game needs some moments of anger to keep it grounded in reality. That's life.

I will second those who are calling for an ultimatum type statement, or a way of complaining to the press.

When was the last time an ultimatum was accepted for you?

As someone said earlier it's not the way they sell players without your notice it's the way that even I'd the sale has gone through you have no input on it at all.

Manager happiness anyone?

Well, yes, I would like ultimatums to be improved slightly. As is, they are successful only when your reputation is extremely well established, but I feel that there are more situations in real life when a board would take an ultimatum seriously.

It's also my game.

That is why I am always asking SI to have a chairman mode in the game for a long time! :(

Well, yes, I would like ultimatums to be improved slightly. As is, they are successful only when your reputation is extremely well established, but I feel that there are more situations in real life when a board would take an ultimatum seriously.

Well, people still do get the sack if their reputation is world class and they are the club's legend in the game! I have yet to see ultimatums work in Football Manager 2010! Perhaps it is broken? :(

I think some of the guys here got it right. There are some work-arounds to it. After my chairman happily sold 3 of my awesome young players, 1 GK, 1 DC (Who is going to be my future captain) and my MC (who is super amazing) I wised up. Altho it is also true all 3 were unhappy and requested to be transfer listed.

So now the moment someone started showing interest in my players, I will go into their transfer options and put some sky high fee. Like 99 mil for my star striker. 30 mil for my 20 yr old defender etc. Basically, no one will bid for your players and your chairman wouldn't interfere because they might probably bid like 20 mil for your ST but it is still far away from your personal valuation of 99mil so he doesn't sell them. I am not sure how well it works but... 2 seasons in and he haven't sold any of my players yet.

Archived