work permits!!!

i've just started my 1st season in the premiership with leeds and i wanted to get some big name players. i notice that for some reason carlos villa (arsenal) is on the transfer list so i make a bid its accepted and he accepts contract then says the move in cancelled because his work permit is turned down. HOW !?!?!

i don't understand, i know hes mexican but hes playing and living in london ! why can he play for arsenal and not leeds, both clubs are in the same league.

really frustrating... anyway two things 1) can someone explain this work permit rule and 2) is there anything i can do to get around this so i can have him in my squad.

sorry for the rant.

Dave

whenever somebody moves moves team or signs a new contract, regardless of being in the same country, they have to renew their work permit application, because his current work premit is for the contract he is currently signed to. I presume that as he hasn't played enough of his nations international matches to be granted a new work permit

Because with the football permits are based on contracts. These are the time periods for tier 2 migrants (I think Vela would fall under this):

"Initial application – length of contract or up to three years maximum, whichever is the shorter period.

Extension application – length of contract or up to two years maximum, whichever is the shorter period. A second extension of a further two years is possible when the first extension is about to expire."

So you've essentially got three years before it comes up again and 2 years after that.

And this tells you why you had to resubmit:

"A club wishing to sign a player from another United Kingdom club must submit an application to The Football Association. If the criteria are satisfied, a Governing Body Endorsement will be issued for a maximum of three years."

All this (and more) can be gotten from the FA website here (I should really bookmark the page).

thanks for the info, i tried a month or so later it got turned down again but on appeal the work permit got accepted. still seems silly that a work permit has to be renewed though if a player is only moving north of the country lol but thanks for useful info :)

Archived