Player wants to move to a bigger club, what to do?

I just reached PL with a BSN team. And... I am having issues building up my squad. My young players are getting poached and tapped up on such a frequent basis that they will someone reach the conclusion that they want to leave. When that happens, what should I do?

Usually the 3 options available are:

1. Tell him that I need him here so the club can improve to match his ambitions

2. He can't leave

3. I will sell him at the earliest opportunity

Or should I just ignore it and not respond?

Out of probably 7-8 players who did that to me. Most just gave the "Refused to be bullied" response when I used either option 1 or 2. Only one of them backed off.

It is really hard when I am trying to build for the future. Took them here from Brazil and Argentina, endured 1 season for them to get settled down and learn english for them to want to leave at the end of the season or so. And.. to some crappy clubs who is just probably 3 places above me and not even qualified for Euro.

I think my crappy club rep of "National" has something to do with it as well. By the way, they aren't wonderkids either. They will most likely be very good premier league players in the future and probably already have decent attributes now. Or.. leading premier league players in the future. Thank god both my wonderkids are still contented and staying.

I had this issue with my world class keeper. He moaned about 2-3 times a season. I told him he isn't going anywhere each time, he only refused to be bullied once, but seeing as he was tied to a five year contract i didnt have any worries. eventually he calmed down. Although it took me winning the Premier league to prove him other wise.

Don't worry about them moaning, but try and tie him to the longest contract as possible if you keep having problems with him. Now go and win the league!

It is gonna be quite hard to win the league. My defense is leaking like crazy and I can't find any good affordable centre backs. And most of my players are too young. My average squad is like 22 or so. When they reach 25 they will be a force to be feared but with my back leaking like that... no amount of goals is gonna save me. My wonderkid ST has been the runner-up for top goal scorer 2 yrs in a row.

As for them moaning. Wouldn't it affect their performance if they are unhappy?

Come to think of it, I found my 2 wonderkids entirely by pure luck.

I got the 1st one because I was in L1 and I screwed up a loan signing. I used to loan this pacey poacher last season in L2 but decided that I can just get him on a 3 months and later renew. But I wasn't sure on how the loan rules work. 3 months up, he left, I was down with no ST. When the window opened, someone else went for him and he decided not to join my crappy club. I randomly desperately hunted for another ST and I got this new ST. Got him on loan for L1, CCC, and the moment I got into PL, I bought him for 18m (pricey I know). I didn't even know he was supposed to be that good. I only got him because he can get the job done. And viola. He turned out to be a wonderkid.

The 2nd one was a MC. Just at the start of the season, I have both my 1st team MC out for quite some time. Like 4 weeks and 7 weeks etc. Then 1 of the back up MC got injured. I was left with no quality and I desperately hunted for a MC. And just now I got this MC with decent looking stats. Played a few games and suddenly his description changed to wonderkid. I must be lucky or wat.

If I say anything I usuallly say that I want my club to grow to match their ambitions.

Once they complain too much and reject signing a new contract (which would make them happy again) I sell them if I get a good offer.

The best way anyway is to be successful and keep on winning. If the harmony is disrupted too much to keep on playing well you are better off to sell.

This worked on FM09, I have NOT tested it on FM10.

Assuming the player has at least 3 years left on his contract (it can work with 2 years) I found that I could offer them out for loan and they would often get loan offers from clubs that where actually bigger than me. I offered them out with money for the loan, a large portion of their wage paid for, but NO fixed future fee. This allowed them to go to a bigger club, which:

a) Satisfied their ambition.

b) Got me a small amount of money

c) Allowed them to continue improving

d) Allowed me to hold onto them for another year, giving me a chance to progress the team to grow in stature while they where away to match their ambition.

e) Increased their value, so even if they still wanted to leave, they are now worth more.

I have no idea if it works on this version, I have seen people moan when I do loan hot prospects, saying the player was too good an asset to let go on loan.

Also, always add a buy back clause in any transfer as well as a percentage of next sale clause.

i had the same problem so i put the midfielder up for sale and the deal fell through as qpr hadn't enuf funds to buy him so he blamed it on me not letting him leave...

i just left him in the team and after a good run in form he turn around and is happy to stay.. he had 5 years on his contract and i think he saw some sence that he is going to be here for a while :D

no my other midfielder wants to leave so im just going do the same..up for sale good bye

On my Sunderland game I signed Di Maria at the start of the game, I'm coming into January of my second season and United have tapped him up, he is unsettled and hasn't been playing very well, sadly it looks as though I will end up selling him to United and finding someone who actually wants to play for the club, I'll try and squeeze atleast £20m out of the transfer though.

I've found the best way to stop your players wanting to leave for a bigger clubs is to:

1. Don't respond to the various media comments made by other managers about your players - If you don't respond the players don't get upset all that'll happen is the manager making the comment will be listed on their favourred panel.

2. Set an asking price 2 or 3 times above the players value, this seems to stop the computer from making any kind of bid or enquiry for your player (unless the value you set is to low).

I tend to sell them at the highest price possible and replace him with someone else who has good potential for half of accumulated transfer income... wait for the newbie to start moaning about wanting to move to a bigger club, and repeat.

Archived