Two questions: league finances & feeder clubs

Hi,

I've got two questions someone might be able to answer:

1) Feeder clubs - commercial links. Are the fees you have to pay each year somehow linked to the potential income that is generated through merchandising? What I mean is: high annual fee = higher merchandising income / lower annual fee = lower merchandising income.

What affects the fees? is it the reputation of the feeder team or is it the income potential?

2) What are the riches leagues in Europe? The first that comes to mind is Barclays Premier League. If you take a closer look however, German teams make more money for winning domestic competitions. Obviously, English teams make millions on TV rights and ticket sales, but what about France, Italy and Spain? Where would an average team that does not compete in Europe make the most money?

2)

An average team will still make the most money in England due to high TV revenues for everyone and to high ticket prices.

The German clubs are good in sponsoring, but their low ticket prices make them struggle in comparison.

In Italy and Spain there is no global bargaining agreement in respect of TV money, so the top clubs get shitloads while the avreage clubs get little. However at the top end therefore the big 5 from Italy and Spain make the most money (sugardaddies aside).

Theres quite a lot of topics already on Commercial Feeder clubs, but they tend to get buried in the General Discussion because of the sheer amount of topics posted.

The price you pay for the annual fee, is typically linked to the Feeder Club in question. There is also no proven link between the fee and any possible Merchandise Income.

As for the finances generally speaking, the German League will bring the most prize money and the Italian League the most TV Money. There are exceptions of course like Barcelona/Real Madrids individual TV deals. Premier League teams seem to incur the highest costs generally, so it's difficult to make a monthly profit, but football is a season-game so you should look at the season profit. If you take someone like Genoa or Palermo to the Serie A title, you'll eventually see around £60m per season coming in from TV money, plus your share of the Champions League TV Money.

Italy will get you tonnes in TV money.

On FM09 when I managed Torino, after about 15 years I'd won Serie A 5x in a row and got £82m in TV revenue, so Italy will be pushing/beating Serie A for revenue. That was 09 though, it's probably the same in '10

Archived