*other* manager overcoming FM?

as we all know, there's one *other* major Football Manager sim, that is also really popular. After, well, three pretty disappointing installments of FM other manager is actually becoming a pretty nice sim and do u think will it overcome FM in terms of fun AND actual tactics/matches etc.? the other sim already has some really nice features which have to be included into FM like youth academies.

sorry for English, not my mother tongue

tbh couldnt play any other management sim other than FM, not because im a 'fan-boy' but because i dont feel they offer the same depth and realistic feelin as si manage to produce.

ive tried other management sims and couldnt for the life of me get into them as i was playing a game where as with FM i feel like i am actually managing in a realistic footballing environment with all its depth and statistics and player knowledge.

for me no other management sim comes close atm even with some of the flaws that FM has (which is very little in my opinion)

I bought this other game when it was on offer for £2.51 and I hated it. I did not think that the graphics were much better than FM2010, the GUI i thought was old fashioned, it had to many steps in it when selecting your team etc.

I played it for a week, hated it and gave up on it - thankfully I only paid 2.51 so was very happy at this.

The competition have a long way to go before they even get close to FM.

Can't believe you were referring to FIFA! They're even further behind than Eidos.

Until EA put a bunch of football lovers in charge it will never be anything but average. Thats SI's advantage, FM is made by lovers of the 'beautiful game' who want to play a brilliant management sim as much as we all evidently do.

On the Pro Evo forums they said Fifa would never catch up and look what happened. They've now overtaken them.

Just opinions

I find FIFA to be bland, boring and rather rigid

Pro Evo... ok bland and often boring still, but alot more fluid for my liking

EA Games just rehash what they have and resell it as some major new advancement, I've personally not be able to enjoy FIFA since FIFA'99

Concerning FIFA Manager vs. Football Manager

Football Manager will stay ahead of them for a very long time for me, simply because EA is mostly about glitz and gimmicks, and rarely anything else

Edit: May I add, my views is from someone who is a pure PC Gamer, and EA have shunted us, I realize FIFA console is vastly different than FIFA PC, but until they treat gamers with decency, my opinion will stand

On the Pro Evo forums they said Fifa would never catch up and look what happened. They've now overtaken them.

TBF though Fifa wasn't "that" far behind whereas FifaMan is light years away from FM.

That said I believe that FifaMan also have a different target in a more arcade style game while FM is aiming for a much deeper simulation.

The competition have a long way to go before they even get close to FM.

Can't believe you were referring to FIFA! They're even further behind than Eidos.

Until EA put a bunch of football lovers in charge it will never be anything but average. Thats SI's advantage, FM is made by lovers of the 'beautiful game' who want to play a brilliant management sim as much as we all evidently do.

As much as I hate to do this - I have to agree with my arch-nemesis edgar555 aka Isaac Cox here :D FM is by-far the best footy sim I ever played.

Even though it's built upon the same old core as the older versions which makes it pretty buggy and inflexible to mod :D

As much as I hate to do this - I have to agree with my arch-nemesis edgar555 aka Isaac Cox here :D FM is by-far the best footy sim I ever played.

Even though it's built upon the same old core as the older versions which makes it pretty buggy and inflexible to mod :D

Your arch nemesis? I'm flattered ;)

I'll let you figure that by yourself but I don't want to spin this really meaningful thread into a complete useless drivel. See you on the battlefield Mr.Cox and beware :D

And yes FM>all :D

On the battlefield? You don't even reach insignificance on my bothered rating scale. As for the Isaac thing. Just about sums you up. Take care.

Ladies, put the handbags away

Anyways, that FIFA manager game is full of cosmetics, unrealistic transfers, horrible tactics and well, quite frankly, it's an awful game. I'm not a massive fan of FM10 in comparison to older FM games but the fact remains that FM is by far the most realistic football management sim known to man, and probably will be for a long time.

Isaac don't get annoyed by yourself homie. I know you were staring there at the monitor repeating your name 50 times in a row till it clicked. I'm just messing with you's all :D

Anyways, that FIFA manager game is full of cosmetics, unrealistic transfers, horrible tactics and well, quite frankly, it's an awful game. I'm not a massive fan of FM10 in comparison to older FM games but the fact remains that FM is by far the most realistic football management sim known to man, and probably will be for a long time.

The FIFA thing is horrible I agree, it has very unfriendly interface and too unrealistic to even touch the surface of FM.

Sorry, laughing too hard to even get into this after that comment.

You couldn't be farther from reality.

it's probably coming from a guy who didn't play FM regularly.

I have played CM10 (pay what you want promotion) and heck after 7 days I sold it to my friend in 1.5 GBP, nice! :D

I have also played total club manager 2003 & Fifa Man 2009 - I couldn't find much improvement in core game play in that 6 years.

Anybody is finding Fifaman better game than FM, is surely doesn't know how to be a manager tbh.

as we all know, there's one *other* major Football Manager sim, that is also really popular. After, well, three pretty disappointing installments of FM other manager is actually becoming a pretty nice sim and do u think will it overcome FM in terms of fun AND actual tactics/matches etc.? the other sim already has some really nice features which have to be included into FM like youth academies.

sorry for English, not my mother tongue

Don't worry. The content of your post is way worse. :)

I presume there are few people who will share your opinion about FM, even more as you provide no argument whatsoever.

The difference here is that while FIFA is a main selling point for EA, FIFAmanager is only a sideline product put out to gain extra cash from their main product.

I will never say that EA won't take over the top spot in the management genre, but they'll have to treat their product as a serious game and not a gimmick to milk extra cash out of their football loving customers.

As regards the OP I'm guessing he's one of the 20 on the forums that loves setting the price of the matchday hot-dogs and buying a Ferrari for the missus, and is constantly looking for chairman modes and extras to spend their (fictional) money on.

one day competition can reach FM level if SI continues to behave like pro evo did , fifa managed to pass pro evo ( i play pro evo for ages i know what i am talking about ) .

The lack of innovation from SI concerns me , EA has the power to push fifa manager to new levels and they keep improving each year a lot

CM is stuck in a limbo but they have a big fan base , maybe this year they will push cm to new heights who knows

Still it looks like SI thinks that fm will never be matched ( like most of it fans ) , but one day it will if SI doesn't push the envelope again

Is this a serious thread?

Reviews I've seen of the latest FIFA put as the worst installment in years.

CM I've never been impressed with since the split.

No I can't see either overcoming FM, It'd be nice to have some competition but there's quite frankly none from these 2 companies at present.

CM2010 seems to have forced BGS into restructuring its company. :-/

FIFA Manager will always struggle as these simulation games actually require developers to develop the game properly. FIFA Manager really needs to be built from scratch but all its iterations harvest from each other.

yes it is but its full of FM fanboys and golden boys if you get my drift

i love fm i thinks its the best manager simulator out there , but i am saddened with the lack of innovation on it . because its number one out there ,SI decided to stay under the banana tree shade and stop trying to give real innovations that push the series to new heights

yes it is but its full of FM fanboys and golden boys if you get my drift

i love fm i thinks its the best manager simulator out there , but i am saddened with the lack of innovation on it . because its number one out there ,SI decided to stay under the banana tree shade and stop trying to give real innovations that push the series to new heights

What lack of innovation?

2d and now 3d, tactics creator, Regens>Newgens>FREDS, constant ME development, FM Live as an alternative etc etc.

FM has constantly been improved & refined over the years.

Not even the fans of CM seem bothered any more. Have you seen the tumbleweeds occupying their forum recently? Only the most ardent CM users have anything good to say about it. It was a really poor game, and is nowhere near FM. Yes, FM has its faults, I'm no fanboy and can accept that, but it's years ahead of CM in terms of playability.

What lack of innovation?

2d and now 3d, tactics creator, Regens>Newgens>FREDS, constant ME development, FM Live as an alternative etc etc.

FM has constantly been improved & refined over the years.

3d still lacks a lot of things , tactics creator is nice but not a revolutionary thing ,ME development is normal , FM live is good innovation but still lacks a lot of things that regular fm has .

Nome of the things are revolutionary and pushed the fm series further , i found those things normal .

-FM needs its 3D engine to go further it needs a lot more animations and graphic enhancements , the crowds are made of paper cut sprites , stadiums are generic .

-Media interaction is still very very basic same with player interaction

-Training doest change in ages .

-Board interaction is still very basic same with fans

-Scouting is the same thing in ages (CM is better in this part with the scout network feature )

this is just some things i would love to see improved i doubt they will be changed in a near future

Not even the fans of CM seem bothered any more. Have you seen the tumbleweeds occupying their forum recently? Only the most ardent CM users have anything good to say about it. It was a really poor game, and is nowhere near FM. Yes, FM has its faults, I'm no fanboy and can accept that, but it's years ahead of CM in terms of playability.

I know what you mean about their forums. I had a quick peek back in there after leaving in disgust after CM10 was released and it's the same old people saying how good the game is etc.

I paid £2.51 for the game as there was no way I was going any higher for a game I was unsure about and the 'finished product' that took 2 years to make was buggy and so slow it was unreal. The only good part was the set piece creator in the game.

The football management game market isn't big enough to get EA to throw a ton of cash at it like the playing football side is. Pro Evo vs FIFA is worth a lot more than FM vs FIFA manager. The market has become much less competitive in recent years though, 10 years ago whether they were good or not we had: LMA manager, Premier Manager, Championship manager, Alex Fergusons Player Manager, Total Club Manager and a hatful of others who would come out with titles which weren't heavily backed but Fifa Manager just sort of appears sometime during the year, never really known when and Championship Manager may well have drawn its last breath. It leaves the market having gone from 5 consistent titles + others to 2 titles without any others.

For SI, FM is the biggest title on their production line - FIFA manager is aimed at producing as much money for as little investment as possible. People see its associated with FIFA, not all that into management sims but want to give it a try, they see its name and buy it. Generally aiming at that level of customer. If the management sim market becomes bigger (which it seems to be) eventually it will flag up as an area EA can really muscle in on. It would take a few years, but I think EA have the clout behind them to go too far for SI. Just look at what happened with Konami and Pro Evo, seemed once moving on to a more powerful platform EA were able to kick it up a notch that Konami still haven't caught up on. In some ways its better for SI that FM is the size it is right now which is considerable never the less, but with 64 bit on the horizon it would have provided EA with a chance to push on faster.

But thats all mere speculation lol.

What are you on about? Whenever FM is released it's number one in the pc charts for months on end! Would suggest the market is pretty lucrative! FIFA manager has it's upsides, like the presentation of stats and the general fluffyness to it, something that fm has always lacked.

However, fm is still far superior to any other footy management sim out there

FM isn't perfect and it is far from it and deep down I am glad that there is competition. With competition means... improvements.

FifaMan and some other more arcade-like games have a different target audience in mind. Probably someone who wants to play a soccer game (controlling the player) and abit more on handling the tactics and transfers etc. But deep down, it is still a arcade style game.

CM and FM on the other hand is a simulation game. Which means... we simulate. You can't really actively ask a player to not do his stepover and just pass to that open ST to score like.. immediately. Some players playing FM are already asking for things like chairman mode etc to further increase the simulation experience.

I have personally never played CM10 so I can't comment on how good/bad that game is. But based on youtube videos, their graphics is amazing. Almost all will agree that FM10 is infinitely a better game than CM10. That's true. But I was kind of glad that CM10 did not do the usual chasing up method to actively try to close the gap with FM by mimicking their game. If they did that they will most probably lose to FM in all aspects. At least now, it seems that they made a management decision to sacrifice a large part of their gameplay just to put in better graphics and players actions (not simulations btw, the ME is still a joke). They actually took the effort to do motion capture to attempt to recreate the very 'life-like' movements of said players. So now, at least they have something better than FM, even though it is just a small area which will be almost be irrelevant to hardcore simulation fans because most cannot be arsed if they players look better. They just need to move correctly and not running around like headless puppets around the field. This in turn gives an impetus to SI to up their game to try to match it in some way.

Do we need motion capture? Good to have but.. maybe not. I just need to know how to tell if my players are holding off challenges because they are strong or have good balance. Or did my winger just ran past that left back with a push and run dribble or fancy footwork coupled with stepovers. Is my playmaker not spraying that long through pass to my ST who was making a run because he is... frankly blind. Or because he was looking at his feet due to press from the opponent.

Right now i can only see 2 players chasing 1 ball and the ball still going in the same direction in which I assume he is sort of holding off the challenges pretty well.

what am I supposed to do? :) this thread was created for ppl to discuss, cause in a few years there will be shitloads threads like this if SI keeps releasing quite broken(especially in long term saves, isn't that what sim is about) games. If SI does with FM 2011 what they did with FM 2009, except without uncountable amount of bugs, I mean, polish 2010, add dynamic league reputation system, possibility to be chairman/director of football, fix newgens, improve transfers system quite a bit (basically no reserve teams in 2015 already), then other games won't stand a chance. All those competitors already have something that FM lacks, just like FIFA had much advanced manager mode and everything, and now they have quite similar, in terms of quality, match engine compared to PES. I want SI to IMPROVE, cause they're getting lazy or having lack of motivation or ideas. Just as I said - bring back FM 2007 fun factor, add those great new features and more. Then I won't have to worry about other manager sims being better someday.

P.S. Sorry for broken English

Statements like Fifa manager and CM are litght years away from FM, are arrogant statements (I'm not calling anyone arrogant), but the statements is simply undermining the competition. This is all that cute, but it showed that the underdog always can surpise and surpass the top dog and there many examples of that.

Now of course I agree that Fifa Manager and CM are light years away, but from what I have seen The competition has gains closed the gap and What the OP and I is to SI to watch itself.

It is not really hard to be humble in this cases and really see that despite the games of competition is inferior to FM, but they have strong key features and weak ones like FM has too.

just like FIFA had much advanced manager mode and everything

Out of curiosity, what is FM missing that FIFA has?

And I'm asking purely about what would actually benefit FM... except for a more advanced 3D representation and more in-depth club facilities/stadium details

Out of curiosity, what is FM missing that FIFA has?

And I'm asking purely about what would actually benefit FM... except for a more advanced 3D representation and more in-depth club facilities/stadium details

Better interaction with board, sponsors, better press conferences, youth academies, different youth age groups, pre-season training camps

What are you on about? Whenever FM is released it's number one in the pc charts for months on end! Would suggest the market is pretty lucrative! FIFA manager has it's upsides, like the presentation of stats and the general fluffyness to it, something that fm has always lacked.

However, fm is still far superior to any other footy management sim out there

According to stats I've seen, FIFA 10 had sold 4.5 million copies by December, in around the same period figures published in February by SEGA put FM at 740,000. I can't find any figures for Pro Evo but you'd have to assume it would shift at least 1.5m copies if not between the 2 - 3m mark. I think FM's competitors may bring the market in the same period up to about the 1.2/1.3m units sold mark (if you count CM with its £2.51 offer and Fifa manager).

The market simply isn't lucrative enough for EA to try and win the lions share in, PC games sell for less and overhauling a game to make it a real contender for FM would cost a lot. Sales between £20 - £30 versus sales of £35 - £45 depending on where you shop. Those figures I got obviously aren't the full scale of the it, but we're probably talking about a game market which is worth about 12 million in sales altogether, and another which is about a sixth of that size at best.

SI are still operating in a fairly large market, its just not large enough to attract the attentions high up at EA for them to try to bulldoze them out of the way. It would be good if the management games could get to a competitive era again, its always us players who benefit the most when its like that lol.

That'd be incredibly unlikely to happen, from how it appears to us SI definitely don't want to lose their autonomy. EA could replace SEGA as the publisher one day, but SI still have the say on whats done each year - if they were to be bought out by EA then we probably wouldn't have the same people on the game anyway as EA would probably bring in their 'specialists' who know nothing about football from Canada lol. There is no doubting SI work hard each year to produce a good game, for us and for themselves, but there is less need to push the boat out now than there used to be, they can gradually introduce changes better and over a more protracted period rather than having to pump out things just to keep going with competitors it all depends how you look at it.

Competition only makes the survivors stronger though, and FM has been uncontested for a fair few years now lol.

Thing is about FIFA and Pro Evo is that both games were close to each other, fighting for who gets the most sales.

But FM is way ahead of every other Manager Sim, SI has the fan base as well, can't see people here flocking to another manager game in their droves for along time, unless something major happens.

Or EA might simply take over SI. :(:(:(

Oh that's the last thing I (you) want to happen as a Football/Soccer sim fan. EA with Madden football is the "king" of the American Football game....but their American Football sim..NFL Coach...was major crap....and that's with a game they understand (American Football vs Soccer/Football). Additionally, EA does NOT like competition....Madden is king because it was first on the scene and was a decent product...along came 2K sports with an American Football game that received good reviews...EA goes and pays major bucks to the NFL for exclusive rights and basically kills off the competition. Now fans of American Football are bacially stuck with whatever EA gives them...which is crap...sure it looks good but play wise....and now they charge you for every little thing. Also as stated earlier in this thread...they don't support the PC market....the reason for that is mods....for example...if FM was an EA product...it would not be on PC....you know those niffty kit and billboard packs that we can now down load as mods to the game...those would still be available but would be produced by EA and they would charge you 2.99 for the download. Be glad that EA has not decided to truely put it's resources towards Football/Soccer sim games. They would probably kill the niche.

Archived