What is the point of youth coaches?

I think youth coaches play a part in the creation of homegrown regens/newgens. I've noticed that I produce new players from countries where the youth coaches are from. As manager of Juventus I have two English youth coaches and I seem to get a lot of English regens/newgens coming through the ranks.

Well there is some speculation that youth coaches affect the ethnicity of your regens and the quality of your regens.

I'm fairly convinced on the former. My manager is Chinese and I have a Chinese youth coach and I get a fair number of (generally quite rubbish :p) Chinese regens.

I'm less convinced about the latter. Haven't really done enough research in it to say but I haven't noticed anything substantial based on my own experiences.

AFAIK there's been no official word from SI though.

I normally have one. Just in case it does make a difference.

It has the added bonus of stopping new messages about coaches wanting to join your club as youth coaches. I'm even considering having one first team coach to stop constant media speculation about hiring a First Team Coach.

I don't have any youth coaches, and my youth products have been of fairly high quality still. I have not seen many from countries other than England however, so it is possible they can have an effect on that, but I dont see why it would be any different to standard coaches?

As far as I am aware, youth coaches are there primarily as a way for less skillful coaches to get into coaching and accept a lower wage than normal coaches. For example, a lot of ex professional players turn into youth coaches in game at first.

Well there is some speculation that youth coaches affect the ethnicity of your regens and the quality of your regens.

I'm fairly convinced on the former. My manager is Chinese and I have a Chinese youth coach and I get a fair number of (generally quite rubbish :p) Chinese regens.

I'm less convinced about the latter. Haven't really done enough research in it to say but I haven't noticed anything substantial based on my own experiences.

AFAIK there's been no official word from SI though.

That should be fairly obvious because youth coaches (just like all other non-playing staff) have scouting knowledge and that is what the game uses to determine the nationalities of your regens. I don't think they have an effect on the quality though.

I think youth coaches play a part in the creation of homegrown regens/newgens. I've noticed that I produce new players from countries where the youth coaches are from. As manager of Juventus I have two English youth coaches and I seem to get a lot of English regens/newgens coming through the ranks.

Well, I learned something new today.Guess I'd better hire a couple of youth coaches next season...

There looks to be something in this, as when you get your new crop of young players it tells you what clubs (or at least the region) they came from, so in theory the bigger club knowledge you have the more likely you are of getting new players from a wider area

I just hired a Jamaican youth coach to test the newgen nationality hypothesis - I am in 2026 with my Danish team Aalborg BK and I haven't had a Jamaican player or coach so far, thus if my regens start coming from Kingston, its true.

I just hired a Jamaican youth coach to test the newgen nationality hypothesis - I am in 2026 with my Danish team Aalborg BK and I haven't had a Jamaican player or coach so far, thus if my regens start coming from Kingston, its true.

AaB let us know mate, its an interesting point.

Since I am not just a club manager, but also national team manager from a country whose league I don't have loaded, I'm interested to see if this works. If so, I may have to hire a coach from that nation so I can get some good regens.

Does hiring a youth coach actually count against the limit of coaches your chairman would allow?

I'm afraid it does, so I haven't jumped on any of the youth coaches with pretty good stats that want to join my club, because it would mean I'd have to fire one of my existing coaches first.

I just use coaches as I have seen no differents when using youth coaches and find they don't help in producing regen of different nationality, as a while ago I did a test to see what affected the nationality of regens as on one of my saves I always had regens from the local area, even though I had all my youth coaches with different nationality to the club and a 50% world scouting knowledge.

So I looked at the biggest 6 teams on reputation from Spain, Italy and England (including my club) to see which had regens created at the club of different nationality to the club. 14 of the clubs did, with 25 regens in total. I looked at the link between the club and the regens nationality to find a reason why and found:

10 was the same nationality as a feeder club.

5 was same as the managers nationality.

4 was same as a scouts nationality.

3 was same as a first team coaches nationality.

2 was same as the chairman nationality.

2 was same as a youth coaches nationality.

2 had dual nationality which included nationality same as club.

1 was same nationality as a physio.

1 of the clubs staff had knowledge of the nationality through a favoured personnel.

( the first team / youth coaches links was when the manager link happened also)

So on another save to test it I gained more feeder clubs of different nationalities, a different managers nationality and a bigger range of scouting nationalities. Other staff and chairman I kept same as club and found this created regen of different nationalities to my club.

Basically newgens work like this: the vast majority have the same nationality as the country your stadium is located in, then every now and then you can get newgens with different nationalities which is determined by your scouting knowledge.

All your staff affect your scouting knowledge not just your youth coaches, for example if you hire an Argentinian scout, coach or physio your club will gain 100% knowledge of Argentina (if it doesn't have 100% knowledge already) and this will increase your chances of getting the odd Argentinian newgen no matter where you are. The favoured personnel of people at your club and any affiliated clubs also affedt your couting knowledge. I have an American feeder club which gives me 100% scouting knowledge of America.

You can also increase your scouting knowledge of certain countries by sending scouts there, so basically there is no real benefit of hiring youth coaches over coaches except that they will accept a lower wage as a youth coach.

Nationality of newgens from your academy is not strictly dependent on the nationalities of your Youth Coaches. Rather, it draws from your club's location and the Scouting Knowledge you have of the footballing world. Naturally, if you have Chinese coaches, you will then have a chance of Chinese newgens. Also works for Assistant Managers, First/Fitness/Goalkeeping Team Physios, Coaches, Scouts, etc.

Scouting knowledge can also be increased by regular scouting, feeder clubs, and relationships with other people.

edit: charlo116 summed it up pretty nicely as well.

Basically newgens work like this: the vast majority have the same nationality as the country your stadium is located in, then every now and then you can get newgens with different nationalities which is determined by your scouting knowledge.

All your staff affect your scouting knowledge not just your youth coaches, for example if you hire an Argentinian scout, coach or physio your club will gain 100% knowledge of Argentina (if it doesn't have 100% knowledge already) and this will increase your chances of getting the odd Argentinian newgen no matter where you are. The favoured personnel of people at your club and any affiliated clubs also affedt your couting knowledge. I have an American feeder club which gives me 100% scouting knowledge of America.

You can also increase your scouting knowledge of certain countries by sending scouts there, so basically there is no real benefit of hiring youth coaches over coaches except that they will accept a lower wage as a youth coach.

Can a mod or someone well informed please confim which of the above statements are in fact true :)

SI did say this was exactly how newgen nationalities are assessed in FM08. Looking at the way things have gone in my saves, I don't see this having changed at all. MAYBE a lower chance that a "foreign" nationality is selected upon generation of the newgen, but otherwise I'm pretty sure this is all there is.

I would say that the other "well informed" members here would agree.

I tend to have youth coaches for 4 reasons:

1- Established coaches with a good reputation tend to only want to come to my teams as first-team coaches. If I get a few of them in and lose some regular coaches then I'll need youth coaches to pick up the slack.

2- I might have decent coaches but they might not have a good enough "working with youngsters" rating.

3- The aformentioned scouting knowledge issue.

4- Sentimentality. If I have a player that's been with the club for a while retire and become a coach then I tend to hire them as youth coaches. If they turn out to be good, sweet, if not, it's not much of a loss, most of the time I have plenty of spare coach allotments from the board . And I don't know if any of these are in the game at all but I like to picture the old experienced player helping out the youngsters and the fans being happy that club icons and legends are still at the club in some way.

Well I've had two italian youth players and I have no youth coach, I'd vouch on the scouting hypothesis.

And I have a Belgian youth player, the only Belgian in the staff is me. So pretty sure it depends on scouting knowledge.

I was just reading this about scouting knowledge when I came across something (unrelated to youth coaches but related to scouting). Playing as Sampdoria, I have knowledge of Denmark through scout Marcel Desailly, though he's French and never played in Denmark. On the Knowledge page, it has the name "Hogh" next to his in parenthesis. Clicking "Hogh" shows me that he's a Danish scout, unemployed, but Desailly is in his favored personnel. I find it pretty cool that friends/local contacts help each other out in the game like this. Anyone else observe something similar?

I was just reading this about scouting knowledge when I came across something (unrelated to youth coaches but related to scouting). Playing as Sampdoria, I have knowledge of Denmark through scout Marcel Desailly, though he's French and never played in Denmark. On the Knowledge page, it has the name "Hogh" next to his in parenthesis. Clicking "Hogh" shows me that he's a Danish scout, unemployed, but Desailly is in his favored personnel. I find it pretty cool that friends/local contacts help each other out in the game like this. Anyone else observe something similar?

Scouting knowledge can also be increased by regular scouting, feeder clubs, and relationships with other people.

As mentioned before, good relationships with certain people will also increase an individual's scouting knowledge, though I'm not sure how this is assessed. Having a two-way "Favored Personnel" relation at 100 doesn't always work, either.

I tend to have youth coaches for 4 reasons:

1- Established coaches with a good reputation tend to only want to come to my teams as first-team coaches. If I get a few of them in and lose some regular coaches then I'll need youth coaches to pick up the slack.

2- I might have decent coaches but they might not have a good enough "working with youngsters" rating.

3- The aformentioned scouting knowledge issue.

4- Sentimentality. If I have a player that's been with the club for a while retire and become a coach then I tend to hire them as youth coaches. If they turn out to be good, sweet, if not, it's not much of a loss, most of the time I have plenty of spare coach allotments from the board . And I don't know if any of these are in the game at all but I like to picture the old experienced player helping out the youngsters and the fans being happy that club icons and legends are still at the club in some way.

I actually tend to do this as well, especially the sentimentality thing. That being said, however, there's still very little reason to have someone only as a youth coach and not a coach, unless finances are tight.

Archived