How long does a player take to get good?

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with youth players who weren't good enough at all to get in the first team but who we all know are definitely going to be good in the future.

I am Norwich in the prem and have Lukaku and Tafer up front. I have G.Rossi and a good regen as back up. I recently bought a regen who has decent stats in finishing, pace, composure, first touch (all around 15 ish). Thing is, he is never going to get into my first team, and everytime I thought oh I will give him a run against a not so good team, he gets a goal every like 8 games and doesnt play particularly well.

He is only 17 and will definitely be good because my scouts and coaches all rate him massively, its just what is the quickest way to get him good?

Am i better off sending him to a feeder team in the Championship or am I better off just letting him sit in my reserves for a few years using my training and coaches?

He isnt good enough to get in my first team so that isnt really an option to give him games because he is just ineffective.

Cheers

Paul

You generally have two options when it comes to developing youth.

The first is to loan him out a team who "sees him as an important first team player" (try to avoid ones that only see him as a backup to the first team) playing in the league with the highest reputation you can find. As a tie breaker look at the training facilities of the target team.

The second option is to have one of your players tutor him and try and give him a few games, either against pushover opposition or give him a half an hour run out at the end of the match if you're 2-0 up etc.

In my experience the second option progresses him a fair bit faster but does have the obvious drawback that you're forced to play a few games with a substandard player which can cost you points etc.

Typically with the second option the player can gain up to 20CA in a single season depending on his starting stats and potential etc.

Cheers guys.

There was another one of my younger players who Real Madrid came in for and offered to loan him for the season and pay me £500k. He isnt in their first team at all, he plays in their youth team now for the season, scores the odd goal and what have you.

Just thought surely at Real Madrid the coaches and whatever else are going to be loads better so surely he will progress a bit quicker.

The speed of player development is based off a few attributes, I am fairly sure determination plays an important part in this.

I am not sure if the quality of facilities and coaches make a difference.

Playing time does also increase his rate of improvement, if it is competitive even better. There is talk that it is possible to burn out young players by over playing them, but I have yet to see this.

As to loaning him out at Real, as long as the league is active it should be fine, but beware, this has a chance of increasing his reputation which will drive up his value and self worth. There is always a chance he may start demanding first team playing before he is ready.

Having your wonderkid in someone else's youth/reserves team is generally a terrible idea.

The reputation of the league a player plays in plays a huge part in determining how he progresses and an U18/19/20 team generally plays in a horrendously low rep. If you look you'll notice that the players in your own youth team that you don't loan out/mentor/give first team time to, hardly develop at all despite playing 30 youth games a year. They gain maybe 2CA over a season even with the best training facilities and good coaches.

The chances are also good that Real won't be mentoring your wonderkid either since he's a loaner in the youth team, so I wouldn't expect him to develop all that much.

Playing high rep first team matches is what really gets your players' stats up. Which is why your player can develop more in around 15 starts at your club than they can playing an entire season (30+ games) in a lower division club.

As for stats that affect training I think it's Determination, Ambition and Workrate. They're pretty hard to judge without a third party tool but are definitely important in determining the rate of progression. I tend to try and only focus my efforts on players where my scout/assman have determined they're good in at least one of those stats. (Bob thinks Jim is a very determined player etc).

Archived