Friendlies, Good or Bad?

I recently started a save where I want to thoroughly go over my entire team and detail of it with a fine tooth comb, but I got stumped at friendlies. I went ahead and cancelled my links with clubs to book new friendlies where I would make money instead of losing it, but I have a question. Is it better to build confidence with smaller rep teams and not make money, or do what I did and book a match every 3-4 days with higher rep teams to make 100-200K a match at home?

I recently started a save where I want to thoroughly go over my entire team and detail of it with a fine tooth comb, but I got stumped at friendlies. I went ahead and cancelled my links with clubs to book new friendlies where I would make money instead of losing it, but I have a question. Is it better to build confidence with smaller rep teams and not make money, or do what I did and book a match every 3-4 days with higher rep teams to make 100-200K a match at home?

I always play 4-5 games against higher teams to get money and then finish by making a league or cup with smaller teams that i most likely will win, that usually gives a nice morale boost.

Playing friendlies have 2 outcomes- to make money ( if required ) and/or to create confidence. If you dont need the money, play friendlies that you should expect to win with one or two more difficult games at the end. If you need the cash, play against the bigger teams but always finish with an easy game to restore confidence.

If you really want $$. You can create leagues with big teams but you play your reserves and U18. You can even get a ton of trial players and let them get whacked in the friendlies while you earn the $$.

For confidence, play against very small foreign teams (away). You get paid for the the friendly and you gain confidence. Altho you would probably get alot more if you play at home vs very large teams. This would really depend on which league and level you are playing.

In the BSS/BSN levels, you can schedule home friendlies against premier league reserves. But they don't work the moment you reach L1 I think. You realise your fans stop packing out the stadium. Around the CCC and PL level, you can just play home friendlies against the premier league teams. Leagues are the best as they generate a ton of $$$ if they happen to have TV coverage.

Speaking of friendlies...

When you play away, does the fee in brackets cover the travel expenses or is it net profit?

If it doesn't, any idea about how much of the money, say 75k you gets for playing at Standard, is profit?

Playing friendlies have 2 outcomes- to make money ( if required ) and/or to create confidence. If you dont need the money, play friendlies that you should expect to win with one or two more difficult games at the end. If you need the cash, play against the bigger teams but always finish with an easy game to restore confidence.

This = :thup:

I usually use the games to get my players match fit for the new season.

Higher league teams that are local are usually good for money. I normally play them first, so I still have a handfull games to gain confidence in.

As I always take in a ton of trialists, I often arrange some games for the Reserves team too, and let most of them show off their skill there.

I think it's a good thing for fitness etc. Me personally, I have about 3 friendly's and if there's more booked up then I cancel them because I think 3 is enough. :)

I think it's a good thing for fitness etc. Me personally, I have about 3 friendly's and if there's more booked up then I cancel them because I think 3 is enough. :)

I find it takes more than 3 friendlies to get fitness to peak, it also takes a few more to gel players into a squad, so if you make some new purchases I would suggest you play a few more to reduce the 'new signing' impact at the season start.

Finally they are a good money earner, so I always recommend a minimum of 6 friendlies and I have played as many as a dozen before.

You can always holiday through them if you already know your starting squad, and the advantages outweigh the risks of injury.

All my humble opinion.

In terms of frendlies -then for me they are all about getting a few matches under the players belts - and thus match fittness. I start off against smaller rep teams and then to finish usually a big game. I dont agree about confidence - certainly not IRL and not in FM - firendlies are freindlies - and thus are not competitive. Beting a team 5-0 had no bearing on the first competitive match of the season IMO.

In terms of frendlies -then for me they are all about getting a few matches under the players belts - and thus match fittness. I start off against smaller rep teams and then to finish usually a big game. I dont agree about confidence - certainly not IRL and not in FM - firendlies are freindlies - and thus are not competitive. Beting a team 5-0 had no bearing on the first competitive match of the season IMO.

Nev whether you agree about confidence or not, it is an FM fact that winning breeds confidence and losing, well 'loses' it. Therefore as much as none of us care about friendlies, you need to be careful not to get spanked in those games otherwise that first competitive game could be a real downer!

I hate friendly's, my players always seem to get injured, not all the time but always at least 1.

1 season I had 5 friendly's and a player got injured in each match, all first team players, was not amused :(

Does playing a certain tactic (like defensive, soft talking) affect injury's in friendly's?

I hate friendly's, my players always seem to get injured, not all the time but always at least 1.

1 season I had 5 friendly's and a player got injured in each match, all first team players, was not amused :(

Does playing a certain tactic (like defensive, soft talking) affect injury's in friendly's?

Soft tackling does effect how hard the player tackle and does decrease the chance of an injury.

You may also want to sub them earlier while they are playing friendlies as low fitness can also increase injuries.

I usually start with an easy team at home, just to get players back from their holiday with a win, then I'll move on to a couple of big teams - depending on the current size of my stadium, I'll pick home or away, whichever gets me the most cash, then another diddy team, a biggie or two, then finish with a diddy team before the league starts. I just like to get my strikers scoring goals before the season starts, in fear of them starting the season with a dry spell, which could be disastrous for the seasons chances right off the bat..

I haven't tried friendly leagues / cups, but now that I'm big enough that they might get shown on TV, I'll have to have a think about it - is there anything in particular that makes a friendly competition get picked for TV, or increase the chances of it getting picked?

I always play cautious tackling and virtually no pressing in early friendlies. Let the lads have a stroll, score some past the various minnows we're up against and then turn it up gradually as we come to the end of the friendlies and let them hit the ground running. This last pre season the only injuries I suffered were the guys away at the Copa. Can't Diego run a proper training session?

Can't Diego run a proper training session?

No he can't. But on the matter of friendlies, if I'm a big team I just sim through them. I will look at the post game stats to check how my name players are doing, and I will move players around a bit if needed. I even let my Ass Man arrange them.

For smaller teams though I tend to be more hands-on and will pick and play through all my friendlies.

Nev whether you agree about confidence or not, it is an FM fact that winning breeds confidence and losing, well 'loses' it. Therefore as much as none of us care about friendlies, you need to be careful not to get spanked in those games otherwise that first competitive game could be a real downer!

In competitive matches I would say yes no question but I think people are reading too much into the results of friendlies - I hear what your saying edgar and sure I would not want to lose a friendly but for me the performance is more imprtant to a degree than the result.

I've beat minnows from the 4 corners of the world by scores of 2-0 or 3-1 even 1-0 and I still top my league. It's all about match fitness and pulling your key players at half before they get hurt or get too tired to improve their fitness during the next match.

For me friendlies are good, but in a weird way.

If my team win most of my friendlies then they will play crap in the league, and vice versa.

I let my ass. man arrange the friendlies, as i can't be bothered creating them myself.

I like the way friendlies work now wherit tells you how much you will make and how much the other team wants(for home ties) instead of trying to get them to accept 30 quid and a party hat for playing you lol.

and also how much your fee is for away matches.

Archived