Chairman mode? No thanks!

I'm pretty new on the forums. I keep an eye on it, and a recurring theme seems to be the hunger for a "Chairman mode".

Now, I understand the reason people want this, and also the opposition to it too.

We have to look at WHY people want this kind of feature. It's pretty simple. People are frustrated about the lack of control at their club.

1) It's annoying being given crappy sponsorship deals, year after year.

2) It's annoying being cooped up in a tiny stadium, even though you have £££ in the bank.

3) It's annoying not being able to spend your money on players/wages.

4) It's annoying not being able to upgrade your facilities to your liking.

So it's pretty simple. You don't need a chairman mode. You need better access to changing your club. I'm not talking about sims-style going shopping and stuff. It's just a case of having more power. Power is fun!

Now, we all know that managers have no say in sponsorship deals, stadium planning and the background finances and contracts, but the majority of players of FM like this aspect of the game.

Simple solution would be for managers to have more authority/influence over the board depending on the relative success of the manager and club. Simple. Get the promotion to the premier league, and you can ask the board for a say in what name is going to be on the front of the shirt. Sure, it's not exactly 100% realistic, but I think it's enough of a "reward" to be worth including. In all reality, managers don't negotiate contracts or go on holiday..

Simple solution would be for managers to have more authority/influence over the board depending on the relative success of the manager and club. Simple. Get the promotion to the premier league, and you can ask the board for a say in what name is going to be on the front of the shirt.

No. What we need is better AI chairmen who negotiate better sponsorship deals relative to league and reputation, and are intelligent enough to see when a new stadium/facilities are needed.

/End.

I don't mind the Chairman mode that is being discussed but what I would prefer is to be able to have board meetings with the board and discuss future plans like expanding the stadium etc.

I think this would be better in requesting it and then they accept or reject with a brief response. At the meeting the Directors would discuss things as well so you would have more interaction with them as well. It could also be used when the chairman accepts bids over your head for players and you could bring that up at the meeting. The more repsected you are in the game (Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho etc.) the more say you would have and the more they would value your say.

There could also be things where you would have little or no say but they will tell you that they are going to lower or more likely raise ticket prices for example. Obviously this would have to be developed properly and not be a thing that get's repetitive and boring after a while like press conferences tend to do.

Simple solution would be for managers to have more authority/influence over the board depending on the relative success of the manager and club. Simple. Get the promotion to the premier league, and you can ask the board for a say in what name is going to be on the front of the shirt. Sure, it's not exactly 100% realistic, but I think it's enough of a "reward" to be worth including. In all reality, managers don't negotiate contracts or go on holiday..

We don't need that.

We need AI chairmen who actually have the equivalent of triple digit IQ to manage the club. Most of these people are businessmen and can probably do better with things like sponsorship. We can recommend things (like jod's idea of board meetings) but we shouldn't have the final say. Right now the interaction between the manager and the board of directors/chairman need improvement. They can expand Backroom Advice in FM10 to maybe something like 'Board Meetings' in future versions where you can hold one when something happens or during the beginning/end of season. I would prefer that the board actually gives me a bloody reason for making the decisions that they make.

Instead of just getting a message after you tell them you want a new stadium, there should be a meeting with them to explain why you actually want a new stadium and its benefits.

I know it's damn annoying when you're board act like irrational fools but I can't help but feel people are expecting too much of this game. Football Manager has gone so far, so quickly that I genuinely believe that some people think it is no longer a game but a simulation of the world.

Tbh, I don't think the economic, business side is fully developed but thats because it's a sports sim. You only need to play something like Madden to appreciate how impressive a job FM does already. the fact of the matter is the game can never emulate real life and it certainly can't tolerate a business simulation game tacked on without further hardships and further losing the fundamentally most important part of the series - it is a game! It's meant to be fun and if you are going to chastise for not metting real world expectations then it is only yourself you're punishing.

I'm pretty new on the forums. I keep an eye on it, and a recurring theme seems to be the hunger for a "Chairman mode".

Now, I understand the reason people want this, and also the opposition to it too.

We have to look at WHY people want this kind of feature. It's pretty simple. People are frustrated about the lack of control at their club.

1) It's annoying being given crappy sponsorship deals, year after year.

2) It's annoying being cooped up in a tiny stadium, even though you have £££ in the bank.

3) It's annoying not being able to spend your money on players/wages.

4) It's annoying not being able to upgrade your facilities to your liking.

So it's pretty simple. You don't need a chairman mode. You need better access to changing your club. I'm not talking about sims-style going shopping and stuff. It's just a case of having more power. Power is fun!

Now, we all know that managers have no say in sponsorship deals, stadium planning and the background finances and contracts, but the majority of players of FM like this aspect of the game.

Define majority! Out of thousands fm-er, I've only seen few topics here & there regarding a chairman mode.

Real life managers don't look into these 4 matters on their own. If any FM gamer wants these he should buy Fifa Manager 2010, I think these can be done in that game. :eek:

I must say, #4 is not at all valid, because every club I've played (mainly in three big nations though) - my facilities were upgraded when asked if my club finance wasn't in red.

But it's true in-game finance section isn't up to the mark but I'm sure that is being looked upon by SI.

remember! Fm2010 has many improvements over previous installments and SI never leaked infos in these forums before 2010 release. Wait for FM2011 release! :thup:

#2 and # 3: if you are successful, your revenue is growing, then gradually these issues will disappear over the time ... but you've to be patient.

A big :thdn: from me to this feature.

Those who wants to be a chairman, here's the way you can utilize FM features for Chairman mode - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=210833

Define majority! Out of thousands fm-er, I've only seen few topics here & there regarding a chairman mode.

What I meant was that the as far as I'm concerned, the majority of players consider the financial aspect of the game one of the most important side of it.

Terrible finances = no success

What I meant was that the as far as I'm concerned, the majority of players consider the financial aspect of the game one of the most important side of it.

Terrible finances = no success

Yes but Irl a manager has very little control over these things. He is given a budget to work with and tries to achieve what he needs to with that. I'd be very surprised if any of them got the monthly Profit and Loss accounts out to see how well club crested underpants are selling!;)

We already have far more control over aspects like structuring how transfer fees are paid etc than a real manager does.

So why aren't people complaining that it's unrealistic? Why don't people want this part of the game reduced?

Then it's just football *manager*.

Everyone likes the contract/finance side of it. That's part of the challenge.

The game includes things like holidays, finances and stats to make it more fun.

The problem at the moment is that so much is defined by reputation, including chairmen's decision-making. So if your club has a small rep, it doesn't grow nearly quickly enough, so you won't get that big sponsorship deal, you won't get that big stadium expansion/move, and you won't attract the best players for a long, long time.

Let's say you take Tamworth through to the Premiership. Doesn't matter how you do it, whether through cheat-editing or using the corner cheat constantly or simply through good, hard work, the reputation of Tamworth doesn't increase nearly quickly enough. As far as the chairman is concerned, it's still a small club, especially if you do it very quickly. If you take 20 seasons or so, it's less of a problem, but successive promotions mean your ambition and the team's ability isn't really considered. You can qualify for the Champions League, but Tamworth's rep will only go up marginally. You'll attract slightly better players, but the best will still go to that mid-table Man U or Arsenal or Liverpool. But more importantly, your chairman will only "see" that small increase in rep and therefore not pursue the big sponsorship deals or expand the stadium, no matter how much money is coming in.

Okay, stadium expansion also has to take into account the fan base in the city too, but remember that a Tamworth club that wins three Premier Leagues on the trot, and a CL to boot, will quickly attract glory-fans from all over the country (cor blimey govnor, yeah, course I support Man-U, 'ave done all me life, honest*) and of course the surrounding environs, such as those who may have turned to Burton Albion and Coventry and Derby. So there's room to manouvre on this one, I feel.

I'd love to see an overhaul in how reputation can increase and decrease fairly quickly. Leeds Utd in their heyday attracted some of the best/highest potential players around once they got a modicum of success, but as soon as the financial problems hit, those players were shipped out - low rep to high in one season then high to low in another.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit. But the short version is simply: we need better chairmen. Not constant business dealings for the managers.

* NB - in the interests of balance, I should say I'm from oop north and also saw a suspicious increase in Chelsea shirts around the place during the first few years of Abramovich's reign.

Yeah it's frustrating, very frustrating being stuck in a 10,000 capacity stadum after two champions league wins in a row and before that, some semi and quarter final finishes, and a europa league win. Out of curiosity I checked with an editor the normally hidden "potential average attendance" and it was around 35,000, so I could be raking in three and a half times more receipts if they just gave me a stadium. I still love the club though so I dont want to leave, but it is very frustrating.

Archived