Playing Chairman mode - it is possible

Hi, I recently came up with an idea to play FM as close to a `chairman mode`as possible. It has proven to be very different from regular play and it`s been entertaining.

- You must hire and use an Assistant Manager, he will become the Manager of the club basically, so choose (hire) wisely!

- You are not allowed to use your tactics or tick `use current match tactics` or `use current team selection when possible`in holiday mode, the Assistant Manager must make all the decisions with the squad you have made available to him. In real life you can`t give Mourinho a squad with 25 players and force him to play certain players unless you want to upset him. I think this is pretty realistic.

- You take charge of the transfers, each season you analyze who your Assistant likes to play, so if one player you rate as good is not getting playing time you probably have to sell him. If you were playing regular FM this would not be the case since you would just play or rotate the player in, but in this game mode you have to deal with the Assistant`s decisions.

- Each season you look at how the Assistant rates players and buy to improve the squad. (In get team report you can see how many stars the Assistant gives players and you can improve the team based on that).

- Go on holiday for each match, I usually stay in control during the whole transfer window and then holiday to the next one (so I check how the team is doing during the winter and summer break).

I have played this mode as Ajax for 4 season and it`s been a fun change. The advantages are that you can finish the seasons alot faster, and you can check player progress alot quicker (seasons usually take long playing normal way). Your transfer, staff and player analysis becomes more important since you can`t compensate with good tactical skills if you have them. The disadvantages are you need to deal with (Assistant) Managers and you must live with their decisions, therefore you are in less control. Also you can`t utilize tactics.

I just wanted to throw this concept out there since I have been hearing people asking for a Chairman mode in future FMs, I think this is a decent compromise.

I used these attributes for choosing a (Assistant) Manager:

Tactical knowledge - This determines how good he is at tactics. Number one most important to me.

Judging player ability - Important for him picking the best players in the match squad.

Judging player potential - Important if you want him to play youngsters with a future at the club.

Motivating - Important for keeping the squad encouraged. Important for team talks.

Determination - How set he is on success.

Working with youngsters - Important if you have many young players.

Level of discipline - How well he keeps the squad in check.

Adaptability - This is to ensure he has success from the beginning of his arrival at the club, taking less to get accustomed. It might also be a good mental stat.

I think the rest of the coaching attributes are more important in the training aspect so I don`t think they affect his skill that much.

Also keep an eye out on what preferred formation and style they play, in order to see if you agree with the playing style. Check his personality too.

I suggest staying with a good (Assistant) Manager once you find him since this way you can get accustomed to his style and who he likes to play. If you change managers too often you might get confused with each of their needs since they are all different.

I do this when I have too much revision/other work to do to play matches and pay as much attention as I would like. It is in interesting concept I think. Of course it isn't for everyone, but people enjoy different things.

To get around the real chairman issue, you aren't a chairman, you are a director of football, or whatever name they give those people who interfer with managers irl =}.

This more like a "Director of Football" role ...

It's actually quite entertaining... plus you really need to pay attention to any signings you make for the AssMan .. if he prefers a 3-5-2 hiring fullbacks is a waste of funds :p

The real plus for this style of playing, you no longer have to worry about superkeepers, you have 1 too.

The real key attributes are Motivation, Man Management and Tactical Knowledge

the other attributes are focused on scouting/training and are really minor points for the AssMan when playing the game this way.

His hidden stats in sportsmanship, professionalism and mindgames seem to impact media interviews.

I think this sounds interesting and original. Also, I think you should completely ignore people who come to your thread just to tell you they think it sounds dumb...because they are just trolls...

This was more to encourage a new challange for those wanting one.

Oh and I got this very funny message about my assistant manager :|. Maybe the game is catching on. (I didn't fake this.. it's probably a bug) I'm playing it on FM06.

35817664.jpg

I just got owned.

I decided to splash some cash after I sold a lot of players, one of my signing was a Brazilian right winger for 11.25M. My manager only used him 3 times as a substitute and it's half way through the season. His value dropped to 3.4M. Luckily he's only 23 so I hope he'll improve.

:D Ouch.

This is a pretty fun change. There's less pressure than being the manager yourself. :) For me, it's a nice alternative because it allows me to mould the club in a long term way, which is difficult when i play as manager and take control over every game because seasons take an awful long time to complete that way. Although i do enjoy playing as manager, obviously.

When you're buying players it's a good idea to get your (Assistant) Manager to scout the player, which is the equivalent of getting their opinion on any potential transfer. If you search and find five right-wingers, for instance, and get him to scout each of them, you can see which is his first choice and which is his last choice. From this you can decide who to bring to the club, within a financial budget.

Players he rates highly should also play more regularly, i'd imagine.

I've taken over at Forfar Athletic and am going to get rid of the current manager. He's not very good and i want my own man.

I have a dilemma though. There are two standout candidates:

Manager Candidate #1 - John Morling, 35yo, English. He's very disciplined and driven, and tactically astute, as well as a decent judge of talent; but he is a little lacking when it comes to motivational skills and man management. He does however play 3-5-2, which is the formation the club currently uses. But he has no experience or knowledge of Scotland.

Manager Candidate #2 - Stuart McLean, 53yo, Scottish. He's also a very driven manager, but lacks the discipline of Morling and is only average tactically. What he lacks here he makes up for with excellent motivational and man management skills. He's also very good at working with young players and is, like Morling, a decent judge of talent. His preferred formation is a 4-4-2.

I think i might go with Morling. The crux of my decision is the fact he's 18 years McLean's junior. I am hoping that Morling has more capacity to improve his ability. To be truthful, both managers have very similar ability; only, one is more a disciplinarian and tactician, while the other is a motivator - Morling's total number of attributes in the key areas comes to 127, while McLean's comes to 125.

Thinking about it, i might actually get McLean as the (Assistant) Manager's "assistant". :D I think they'd compliment each other very well. McLean's people skills will rub off on the players in training and Morling will keep the squad in check and make the right decisions during matches. That's what i hope, anyway!

These Chairman threads have been popping up for a while...like luton said I think Director of Football might really happen in FM11.

The more I think of it, the more it's (Director of Football) not a bad idea. I'm just thinking of it in terms of being a 'General Manager' in American sports...

I've taken over at Forfar Athletic and am going to get rid of the current manager. He's not very good and i want my own man.

I have a dilemma though. There are two standout candidates:

Manager Candidate #1 - John Morling, 35yo, English. He's very disciplined and driven, and tactically astute, as well as a decent judge of talent; but he is a little lacking when it comes to motivational skills and man management. He does however play 3-5-2, which is the formation the club currently uses. But he has no experience or knowledge of Scotland.

Manager Candidate #2 - Stuart McLean, 53yo, Scottish. He's also a very driven manager, but lacks the discipline of Morling and is only average tactically. What he lacks here he makes up for with excellent motivational and man management skills. He's also very good at working with young players and is, like Morling, a decent judge of talent. His preferred formation is a 4-4-2.

I think i might go with Morling. The crux of my decision is the fact he's 18 years McLean's junior. I am hoping that Morling has more capacity to improve his ability. To be truthful, both managers have very similar ability; only, one is more a disciplinarian and tactician, while the other is a motivator - Morling's total number of attributes in the key areas comes to 127, while McLean's comes to 125.

Thinking about it, i might actually get McLean as the (Assistant) Manager's "assistant". :D I think they'd compliment each other very well. McLean's people skills will rub off on the players in training and Morling will keep the squad in check and make the right decisions during matches. That's what i hope, anyway!

I think i may have made the wrong choice... Morling's a nutcase! :o I'd need two hands to count the number of times he's stormed out of a press conference in a fit of rage. He has the temperament of Alex Ferguson... without the results.

Although, to be fair, we are third. With two games of the season left. I don't think we'll get promotion in the playoff's because we've been fairly inconsistent and a bit unconvincing from time to time - we might be able to fluke it though. I'll give him another year even if we don't; after that, however, it might be time for a new approach if promotion looks unlikely. You have to give managers time, but there's only so long you can hang around and watch the club moving sideways!

FFS. Out of the playoffs on penalties. We missed three out of our four penalties - all saved.

I don't think i've ever won a penalty shootout on FM10.

And a further kick in the teeth... their goal in normal time was a penalty.

- Each season you look at how the Assistant rates players and buy to improve the squad. (In get team report you can see how many stars the Assistant gives players and you can improve the team based on that).

I think this is a really good idea (for those that want to play chairman-stylee, it's not for me but that's beside the point.)

Just wanted to pick up on the above point, when you get the assistant's team report, he will more often than not suggest players for you look at to improve the squad. You could view this as his "wishlist" of players and go after them for him.

For example, one time he might suggest three right-backs (if he feels the squad is short on quality at right-back). Once you've signed a right-back, he will probably suggest players for another position.

I think i may have made the wrong choice... Morling's a nutcase! :o I'd need two hands to count the number of times he's stormed out of a press conference in a fit of rage. He has the temperament of Alex Ferguson... without the results.

Although, to be fair, we are third. With two games of the season left. I don't think we'll get promotion in the playoff's because we've been fairly inconsistent and a bit unconvincing from time to time - we might be able to fluke it though. I'll give him another year even if we don't; after that, however, it might be time for a new approach if promotion looks unlikely. You have to give managers time, but there's only so long you can hang around and watch the club moving sideways!

John Morling has been my assistant since the beginning in my game. I manage Dover Athletic who start in Blue Square South, and got him then. I found him so well suited for me, I have no reason to 'upgrade' even though we're perennial treble/quadruple winners. His attributes don't go up a lot, but his press conference responses and teamtalks are great. This is as an assistant though... not sure how he'd fare taking charge of more.

What do you do when you want to hire a REAL manager and not just an assistant manager?

How can I watch games, considering I am holidaying. Sounds a little tedious to do this, coming in and out of holidaying.:(

I have always said that FM needs to look outside the square for once.

We need new types of game modes and even boring things like altering ticket prices...why? A lot of people want something new and basically SI need to try something like this to appeal to more people. As long as we do not go into "game difficulty changing" I welcome this kind of addition, as long as it does not alter the game hugely.

Managing budgets, ticket prices, stalls, merchandising, sponsors, hiring staff/firing staff and also bringing in new managers and sacking managers sounds like a lot of fun to me.

What do you do when you want to hire a REAL manager and not just an assistant manager?

This only works for as long as you are the manager of a club of course.

If you manage to hire a real manager in the ass man role, then fine. :)

Guess one could use FMRTE for this kind of thing. :D

Would indeed be interesting to see if Fabio or Arsene would make a difference once you edited them in the ass man role :)

Just afraid they might be looking for other offers, so you should lower their reputations too.

John Morling has been my assistant since the beginning in my game. I manage Dover Athletic who start in Blue Square South, and got him then. I found him so well suited for me, I have no reason to 'upgrade' even though we're perennial treble/quadruple winners. His attributes don't go up a lot, but his press conference responses and teamtalks are great. This is as an assistant though... not sure how he'd fare taking charge of more.

He does have great stats for this level. But we've just finished our second season and finished 4th, making the last playoff spot - we finished on the same number of points as the first season, when we finished 3rd. This is despite strengthening well in the summer.

I'm not happy. Unless we go up in the playoff's he may get the chop.

How can I watch games, considering I am holidaying. Sounds a little tedious to do this, coming in and out of holidaying.:(

The way i get around this is i create another manager who's unemployed and then i can use him when i want to go and watch games.

Maybe it is just for you. But John Morling is absolutely superb for me. Has been with me for 9 yrs and handles my press conferences.

Maybe it is just for you. But John Morling is absolutely superb for me. Has been with me for 9 yrs and handles my press conferences.

Well i am letting him do everything himself, not just the usual Assistant stuff.

What i've found is he's a bit dodgy when it comes to press conferences and team talks. Quite a few times i've noticed he's either stormed out of a press conference or upset the players by not praising them. I put it down to his average Motivating and Man Management, but then you and Whirlwind have had very different experiences, so i don't know.

I'm going to try and get him to play 4-4-2 and see if that helps performances.

Does anyone else find you're getting a high number of injuries? Whenever i manage i never see the amount of injuries i've been getting when i leave things to the Assistant. Last season i had three 3-6 month injuries... This season i've already got my main striker out for 2-3 months and i'm not out of August...

I wonder if the stats of the Assistant Manager has anything to do with it.

Archived