old 50s tactic

I don't know about the tactic in game, but it was way out of date in the fifties. As regards creating it the W-M has been reproduced so this surely can.

What the tactic entailed was 2 full backs, playing pretty close to centre-halves today, 1 centre-half playing the Beckenbauer role, i.e. a roving and very attacking sweeper, 2 midfielders who would just sit there and soak up attacks.

Then you had the forward line which varied a lot. Originally you had 2 outside forwards who were wingers, 2 inside forwards who were trequartistas and a centre froward at striker. The most famous (and last) variation of the formation was used by the magnificent Magyars, where they dropped the centre forward and two outside forwards to the treqaurtista line and played the two inside forwards as a strike partnership.

If you are interested in trying for yourself I would recommend you read Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathon Wilson. It goes into great detail about football formations down the years.

I don't know about the tactic in game, but it was way out of date in the fifties. As regards creating it the W-M has been reproduced so this surely can.

What the tactic entailed was 2 full backs, playing pretty close to centre-halves today, 1 centre-half playing the Beckenbauer role, i.e. a roving and very attacking sweeper, 2 midfielders who would just sit there and soak up attacks.

Then you had the forward line which varied a lot. Originally you had 2 outside forwards who were wingers, 2 inside forwards who were trequartistas and a centre froward at striker. The most famous (and last) variation of the formation was used by the magnificent Magyars, where they dropped the centre forward and two outside forwards to the treqaurtista line and played the two inside forwards as a strike partnership.

If you are interested in trying for yourself I would recommend you read Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathon Wilson. It goes into great detail about football formations down the years.

i just beat newcastle 4 2 using it.

it was not out of date man utd used it in the 50s

with a midfeild 3 of edwards jones colman

Hey toon!

The old fashioned 2-3-5 Does indeed work!

I know because many years ago when i first got FM i was yapping to my dad about it and he scribbled the old formation on a piece of paper for me. after alot of confusion i came to love it.

I play it as my home formation and i tell you what i romp teams silly with it.

Obviously you need the right players and the right system. But once you got those two you can have loads of fun.

Once upon a time i'd have freaked out at the idea of playing 2-3-5 simply because there is only two stoppers. But with a mature footballing philosophy, it should be more than possible.

Over attacking seems way too successful and it has been like that for years, eg the magic 424.

Youll probably walk the league with it which is a shame as IRL a team would get hammered week in week out playing that.

they would not if box to box players werre used like at least two roy keane types in the 3 man midfeild would help the defence out.

1950's tactic? I thought Ossie Ardiles was still playing with that at Tottenham during 1994-1995 with Klinsmann, Sheringham, Anderton, Barmby, Dimitrescu all going forward.

We never kept a clean sheet but, it was exciting (until Ossie got sacked halfway through the season).

it was not out of date man utd used it in the 50s

with a midfeild 3 of edwards jones colman

Well tactically the UK teams in general have been historically behind the curve. In the 50's only UK and Hungary were using the formation, and Hungary's system was more like a 3-3-4 than a 2-3-5. Most other countries had either gone to Karl Rappan's bolt formation, a modified W-M, and also this was the era when Brazil started using the 4 back system. In 1954 the Brazilians had already abandoned the successor W-M for the four back system.

Of players around today, who would be ideal for a 235 formation? I've got Fulham away next game for my Spurs team, I might go for it. Corluka & Bale, Fabregas, Palacios & Yaya Toure in the middle, and a front 5 of Lennon & dos Santos as outside forwards, Modric & Canales as inside forwards and Luis Fabiano as the striker.......Ledley will be gutted. X

Won 5-1!! 49% possession, 21 shots compared to Fulham's 7. Modric flourished. This formation is pretty tasty, but I've got Milan away next in the Champos League Semi so I'm not sure I'll be risking two at the back. X

Of players around today, who would be ideal for a 235 formation? I've got Fulham away next game for my Spurs team, I might go for it. Corluka & Bale, Fabregas, Palacios & Yaya Toure in the middle, and a front 5 of Lennon & dos Santos as outside forwards, Modric & Canales as inside forwards and Luis Fabiano as the striker.......Ledley will be gutted. X

bales a full back i play my two as center backs.

Brian Shahananhan described the two as two full backs playing close to center halves. Corluka's both and Bale is defensively adequate. Corluka got injured before the match and so I played Ledley...he was absolutely knacked by the end! X

Tried the old 235 bad boy again, lost 3-0 to Bolton...had 23 shots to their 17. Makelele and Kaboul were not up to the running in the midfield, and Luis Fabiano missed loads...he is not enjoying life in London. X

Archived