EPL, Why so little reserve games? Need Suggestions

Hey All,

Curious question, but why are there so little Reserve Games for the English Premier League?

I'm Manchester United, and had a couple of of long term CMs out that are now finally back (Hargreaves and Carrick), but it seems they can get into Match Fitness because honestly there's just so little reserve games.

For example, In Feb now in my season, just played one, and now my next one is not till a month from now, that's a litlte crazy, lol.

I guess, the other question I have, do I just risk playing these guys on the first team? Or is it not really recommended until the player is actually match fit?

Frustrating at times, because it makes these injuries seem way longer then they really are suppose to be, so any suggestions to this, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Hey All,

Curious question, but why are there so little Reserve Games for the English Premier League?

I'm Manchester United, and had a couple of of long term CMs out that are now finally back (Hargreaves and Carrick), but it seems they can get into Match Fitness because honestly there's just so little reserve games.

For example, In Feb now in my season, just played one, and now my next one is not till a month from now, that's a litlte crazy, lol.

I guess, the other question I have, do I just risk playing these guys on the first team? Or is it not really recommended until the player is actually match fit?

Frustrating at times, because it makes these injuries seem way longer then they really are suppose to be, so any suggestions to this, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

What i normally do is arrange res games with u18 only when they both dont have a match its normally mondays right through the season it works ok for me and helps me keep fringe players match fit for when they are needed

Did you accept the invitation for you reserves to be in a league?? There should also be an invitation for your U18's

Hmm, I don't recall ever getting an invitation to join a league, however, both my Under 18s and Reserves are in a league for this season because their matches say "League", it's just for the reserves it's way to sporadic. Hell my Under 18s have more games and even a cup to contend with too which is awesome I thought.

I've just been going the friendly route, so far only really done around England, with Premier or Championship League reserve teams, and all teams have been accepting, so that has helped tremendously in terms of getting the players I need fit, fit for the big squad, though I don't like the micro-management part of that because you can only do one friendly match at a time when your in that arrange friendly screen. (At least that I know of, as I haven't fooled around with the League option or Tour option, since when I tried setting a tour for my main team it just didn't work, as it kept on saying teams were unavailable)

Your case is a little strange due to the good reserve set up in England. In Serie A there doesn't appear to be a reserve league at all. The only answer is to schedule friendlies either with other teams' reserves or with non-league sides. It's a little time consuming, but 3 sessions a season should see you set with a nice fixture list that keeps people fresh and happy (knocking over non-league sides boosts morale without any of the problems you get with players complaining about assman team talks in first team friendlies against weak opposition).

You'd be surprised to know, but most reserve teams in England actually play less than 20 games a season, so FM is actually quite realistic in this regard

Where it fails, is the reserve league structure... but let's be honest, it's not really that important I would of thought

Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Reserve_League

I arrange friendlies with low-league reserve squads, teams that aren't in a reserve league. No money, but they always accept, and my guys get to keep their match fitness, which is all I really care about...

Yea that's exactly what I've doing now, and it has helped getting the players I needed to get in shape, into shape quicker then just depending on the league games for the reserves.

I did read here that you could get an invite for another league in your second season, so if that's the case, even if you are already in a league by default in the first season, will you still get that invite? (Hoping maybe it's better and has more games if possible)

thanks,

I did read here that you could get an invite for another league in your second season, so if that's the case, even if you are already in a league by default in the first season, will you still get that invite? (Hoping maybe it's better and has more games if possible)

thanks,

I get an invite to U18 and Reserves league every year, a week or two before the Turn of the Seasons...this didn't happen until I went pro (L2), but from what I understand, once you're in, you're in for good, so if you get relagated, you still get the invites.

So, I'd imagine if you take over a club in, say BSS, that had at one time been in L2, you'd still be getting invites starting at the end of season 1, since the game starts after the Invite Date.

Your problem is a problem in real life to be honest.

Here is Liverpool Reserve's schedule for the season just gone:

(L) = League game

© = Cup game

27 Aug Blackburn (L)

02 Sep Bolton (L)

17 Sep Man United (L)

29 Sep Man City (L)

07 Oct Burnley (L)

21 Oct Sunderland (L)

29 Oct Man United ©

03 Nov Everton (L)

10 Nov Hull (L)

21 Jan Man City (L)

27 Jan Ashton Town ©

01 Feb Bolton ©

10 Mar Tranmere ©

17 Mar Wigan ©

23 Mar Hull (L)

25 Mar Wigan (L)

29 Mar Bolton (L)

07 Apr Wigan (L)

13 Apr Man United (L)

16 Apr Burnley (L)

20 Apr Everton (L)

27 Apr Blackburn (L)

04 May Sunderland (L)

?? ??? Oldham Athletic ©

From November to March there was a real lack of games. And FM doesn't include cup ties either.

Archived