Are my players really such mercenaries?

In the summer i brought a 20-year-old central defender to Boavista, called Ramzi Aya. He wasn't wanted by his then club Fiorentina and was out of contract, so available on a free transfer. During negotiations things went well and we swiftly saw off competition to tie him to a 3 year deal.

After an unfortunate hip injury to my first choice central defender, which would see him out for 4-5 months, i was set to give Aya his first start of the season. It was a difficult decision to make because we have three young defenders who all could have come in, but i put my confidence in the Italian.

It wasn't long before i was questioning whether this confidence was misplaced. Come match day i was surprised to have my Assistant Manager inform me that Aya was having trouble motivating himself for a manager of such a low standing in football.

This made me wonder, what motivates a player to sign for a club? If he can't motivate himself to play for me, why did he sign for the club to play under my regime? Was it the prospect of playing for a decent-sized club? Was it the change to earn first team football? Or was it purely the chance to pocket £1,300 every week?

And more to the point, how much does your managerial status influence whether a player will sign for you?

Did you lose matches while in charge? And I mean a lot matches. Players reject their transfers. But I've only had players complain because they want a new challenge or lost confidence because I came in half way through a horrible season, working my way up, and apparently SI cannot fix it.

Managerial status does influence. Especially if you a big manager in a small club.

I've been successful so far; i've only lost around 3 games in one and a bit seasons. In my first season i won promotion and since Aya has been at the club we've won a two-legged cup tie and won our first three league matches.

My managerial reputation is National, Aya's reputation is National and so is the clubs. It would be interesting to know what the actual numbers are involved between the different reputations, i.e. how big the scale is for National. I can only imagine that he is at the upper end of National and i am at the lower end.

Archived