FM rage

Yesterday I lost a game in the 92nd minute and threw my mouse across the room and it broke into pieces.

I remember once I went unbeaten all the way through a season and lost the last game. I was so annoyed I threw my computer chair out of a window.

So far, i've done in about 3 mouses, 2 keyboards and 1 computer chair just from losing games on FM. The amazing thing is i'm the calmest person you will ever meet when FM isnt involved. As soon as I load up a game something sparks inside me and i'm glued to the screen for hours.

Anyone have any similar stories of FM rage?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throwing a chair out of a window, Legen....... wait for it.... DARY!

I so can't wait to show Mrs The Lambs your post, she might be more forgiving of my verbal rants at my pixelated players in the future. She often comments that the neighbours must think she is a battered wife with all the swearing and stomping around I do on FM.

Not broke anything yet..........

For me FM is a great exercise for anger management. Don't be afraid to lose or be a victim of the game's flaws (which are many). As YODA :D said:

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering....

:D :D :D

Hmm, what a nice time for this thread to be popping up... :o

Went a bit over the top yesterday. I was in a bad mood and tired. Newport County (me) at Eastleigh. We were up 2-0 until around 74th minute. We give up a penalty. I go swearing as usual. I'm a bit uneasy, but still up 2-1. Switch up tactics, all-out defense. 93rd minute, Eastleigh corner, bloody scramble...goal. 2-2 final.

And then I went a little crazy. Banging the table. Swept the entire right side of the table to the floor. (Nearly) threw my mobile, which was the first thing I saw in my rage, but didn't, realizing that I still have to pay the bills for it lol. And then I decided to save and go to sleep (it was 1am when it happened :D).

I'm probably the most calm and cheerful guy out there...excluding FM (well gaming in general, as well as sports), where I'm pretty intense and competitive. Weird thing is that I often help other people deal with their rage yet I can't seem to deal with my own. :p

I think this thread is perfect for this classic:

I'm not quite this bad but I feel his pain.

Ah, the classic FM rage video! I think that's the perfect video to calm you down when you're swearing. :D

I think he had too much caffeine that day, or he's legally insane. Or both! :p

The only time I've ever gotten angry is when Nigel Clough took the Forest job bought Robbie Savage and Kris Commons with him, then got us relegated...then I took over and won the prem twice :D

I had to fork out for a new hard drive two months ago due to smacking my clenched fist down on my laptop. £40 gone.

Also, I was completing my A level homework, with the use of a calculator when there was a (predictable) last minute goal. Hurled the calculator at the wall, and am still finding buttons on the floor in recent days. I really do have FMRage. And I tend to single out shocking players on the game. I've offered out valdes at barca because he asked for first team football straight after a two all draw at almeria. "that'll teach him"... Akinfeev injured two matches later, and valdes is removed from the transfer list.

I always have a pillow that I can thrash around, I'm never as out of control that I forget that my valuables are not worth breaking over a game.

Yes they are. And it's not just a game. Why are you even here when you clearly don't understand FM at all :eek:

The game used to really **** me off when I was younger, but as I have got older I have learnt to deal with it, the worst I have done is put my hand through the computer desk, I'm sure the tremendous pain it caused helped calm me down in the future.

I also broke a laptop a couple of years ago after losing my rag with FM08, the FM08 case has currently got loads of cracks in it too, the amount of times it has been thrown off the floor or wall.

I'm just glad I have matured.

Sometimes you don't even mean to harm yourself. I made a wrong substitute (goalkeeper on for a winger, not for the first time though), I shouted in rage and my hands was about to pull my hair when on the way they push my eyeglasses upward in full power, the poor things took off and hit the low ceilings before finally crashing onto the floor in pieces. I always had trouble seeing without them, but that very moment I could clearly see my girlfriend (who bought them for me two days before for about twice her monthly income) staring at me and thinking she'd better move on to other things in life.

I am 14 so still get a bit angry and punched a wall after my young Litchenstein centre half stopped me from getting my first win as manager of Litchenstein against Macedonia by scoring 2 own goals in the last 5 minutes, and I broke my hand in two places doing this.

When I was a teenager I used to sell and even release players who costed me a game. I remember back in fm2005 when Erik Hoftun costed me the Tippeligaen making a stupid handball when the game was ending, the penalty went in so I fired Hoftun as soon as the game ended. Nowadays I take things with a better attitude, however I still fine players when they underperfom too much.

I'm fine when there's other people in the room, because i can control myself then. But when i'm alone...

(...Where's the evil smiley?! :D)

I regularly punch things when i concede, often the computer monitor. It's surprisingly strong to be honest! I must stop because i'll put it through eventually.

I throw things occasionally but i try to avoid it because i'm usually wary of turning around in a rage and throwing something at the window by accident.

Like other people, i'm extremely calm away from FM. Weird! I may invest in a punch bag and hang it beside my computer. I'll be able to exercise and play FM at the same time... unless i'm winning. :)

Yeah I'm up there with the best of them. Or I should say worst really. :o

But I don't understand the OP and the Chair. :eek: I mean I used to get pretty mad when I conceded a goal in a big match/pivotal point in the season etc and when the flashing goal came across the screen I get pretty annoyed and act as some people have said. Its kind of a split second/in the moment reaction and after that I'm fine again.

But to throw a chair out of a window takes a bit of time and thinking (I presume the window was closed at the time and you had to open it) where as most 'FM rage moments' are usually sudden outburts in a negative manner - to let out some negative emotion/energy and you just go for the nearest thing/object etc. The 'chair' moment is the first I have heard in relation to FM! :D

Mostly I just slam the desk whenever the opposition scores... however, I conceded a penalty in the cup final which would take me through to the Europa League if we won it (and I am only in the 2nd tier of Northern Ireland) and we ended up losing 1-0. I punched my pillow for about a minute. ;)

Several years back I sprained my shoulder when I tried to vent some FM related frustration. It hurt like hell and it took months before it was completely healed. Well I learned my lesson so these days it's down to deep sighs and the occasional verbal abuse in front of the monitor.

Ahh so many good memories :D

When I was younger I used to throw epic tantrums when something went really wrong with CM/FM...

I think from the day I bought Championship Manager 2, I haven't had a fully working keyboard... Spacebar being the first key to take damage.

Then the epitome of "angry german kid" crazyness was reached with CM97/98, when I lost the CL final in a Bayern-Man Utd way. I smashed the keyboard by hitting the monitor with it while spouting every possible blasphemy in the book, from the big G to the most obscure Saint...

It has to be said both were "borrowed" items from the dorm basement, so I didn't have to worry about thrashing them.

Oh, and I once ripped a t-shirt, Hulk Hogan style after the usual "from 3-0 up at half time to 3-4" routine

Of course I'm not counting the usual swearing, desk punching, monitor shaking.

FM is indeed a good tool of anger management...

I was playing as Elgin in SD3 and my chairman decided to accept bids for my best players as the offers "were too good to turn down". I thought "Okay, I'll rebuild with the funds". However, looked at player search screen and realised the **** had only given me 2K!!! out of the 75K transfer fee. Needless to say i was fuming, resigned got a better job and bought all the Elgin players out of spite. MWAHAHAHAHA :D

Several years back I sprained my shoulder when I tried to vent some FM related frustration. It hurt like hell and it took months before it was completely healed. Well I learned my lesson so these days it's down to deep sighs and the occasional verbal abuse in front of the monitor.

That's a good candidate :thup:

I once broke my hand in FM Rage . It's many a year ago now, so I don't remember the exact details. But I think it was a playoff final or FA Cup final or something like that. We were 1-0 up, then two horrible goals ensued, where the keeper was just standing there doing nothing, and the typical "bouncy ball and DC turns into a ****** and can't head it" kinda situation. Anyway, we lost the match, and I lost my temper.

Was straddling about the room trying to calm down, but it was no use. I can only say I have a very good understanding of the concept of "temporary madness" or whatever the lawyers call it. I had a padded office chair at the time, and after looking infuriated at the screen again, I hit my fist mighty hard against the seat of the chair. Unfortunately the padding was rather thin, with solid metal underneath. It hurt like ****. This was a Friday and I didn't go straight to the emergency room. But with little improvement by Monday I had no choice. Of course the thing was broken. I needed surgery and spent x-mas with three steel pins sticking out of my hand to keep the bones in their place while it was healing.

Officially, to this day, I fell on the ice and broke my hand. Don't tell :D

(The doctor didn't really believe it though, he thought I had been in a fight that weekend. I was too embarrassed to tell what really happened, even to him)

These days I tend to have a solid boxing session with my bed, pillows, or whatever else "soft" material is around. Plus the odd shoe-throwing or empty plastic bottle throwing. Plus, ofc, a hail of "nice" words.

Suffice to say, I never buy gamer mouses or anything like that. I get the cheapest they have and stick with it until it, err, doesn't work any more. I must say I am very impressed how well keyboards take a beating though. It's remarkable what they can endure and still work (more or less).

After a "german kid" tantrum after cars kept crashing into me in a very old version of Need for speed, the keyboard literally looked like an S. I had bent the thing over my knee, and keys popped out all over the place. Amazingly, once I had put the keys back in, it was possible to write on it. Even though the thing was bent like an S and I had to hold my hands sideways to write.

Ho-hum.

FM is not a good anger management tool. It's a great way to bring out the worst in us all.

Yesterday I lost a game in the 92nd minute and threw my mouse across the room and it broke into pieces.

I remember once I went unbeaten all the way through a season and lost the last game. I was so annoyed I threw my computer chair out of a window.

So far, i've done in about 3 mouses, 2 keyboards and 1 computer chair just from losing games on FM. The amazing thing is i'm the calmest person you will ever meet when FM isnt involved. As soon as I load up a game something sparks inside me and i'm glued to the screen for hours.

Anyone have any similar stories of FM rage?

Being angry while being competitive, and not otherwise aren't related.

I, myself is a pretty calm person in most situations, but when it comes to competition it is a different thing all-together. There are more reasons for this other than just being a sore loser, but as I know I am good/great at something, and "unfairness" kicks in, to make me lose for no other reason that it was my time to lose. That makes me angry. In short injustice is what makes me going over the edge. Having said that, I was a very sore loser as a kid in sports, and now being 39 I have come to accept that I am not the greatest - at least not anymore (tongue in cheek).

In my time irl I have smashed badminton-, tennis-, table tennis rackets, cried out of anger, when losing. In games I have smashed my hand into a sturdy C64, not so sturdy keyboards, fisted CRT, doors, kicked cupboards close by, thrown cigarette packages, mice across rooms(luckily never have any coffee cups been violated). And no game have have been as much reason than CM/FM. Then again, it is by far the games I have used most time on in my 30 years of gaming.

But I must admit I am more casual about losing in the last 5 years - because in the end it doesn't really matter, since I win most of the time anyways. I have never jeopardized anyone other than myself(except for verbal assault) by throwing anything out of the window, but I will not judge you, because I could easily have done so.

In short injustice is what makes me going over the edge.

This is what really gets me too. It's fine to lose when you deserve to. Yesterday I got pummeled by Barcelona, and was quite fine with that. It's a different thing altogether when you have 18 shots on target and they have 1, and you lose 0-1. Regularly. And even worsej when you lose out to buggy goals, like above when I wasted my hand in FM Rage.

It just feels very unfair, like the odds are stacked against you, and you have no control over the outcome of a match.

In my case it's made worse since I have inherited explosive anger from my mother, and FM isn't doing me any favours. We've all been there though. It's like with all love/hate relationships. The transition can be very short and brief.

Exactly, Pangaea. This was what I had in mind, when I wrote it. The worst part is, that it pretty much mirrors real life. The only thing missing from FM versus RL is the law of karma :). They should try to implement that :p.

Edit: PS I have my explosive anger from my mother as well - both when it comes to losing and injustice :D. My dad was and still is calm incarnate.

Well, even though I hear what you are saying and to a great extent agree, I find many positives to it as well; willing to excel, fight against injustice(even if it is beyond my control), being passionate, having a drive. Sure there are a lot of negatives attached to it, and it is a heavy cross to bear at times along with overreacting, but I wouldn't be without it really - only to a lesser extent - which I have somewhat managed to do over the years. Being ****ed off, is not only a negative sign. It is pretty healthy too. Furthermore being able to vent frustration prevents it from being bottled up, and perhaps prevent you from doing something really, really destructive eventually down the line.

Think of John McEnroe. He was incredibly inspiring to watch, but also embarrassing too. It helped him more than he suffered from it I reckon.

That's a good point actually. I'm not sure if McEnroe-esque tantrums will help in normal job situations though :D

It's certainly a two-edged sword. It can eat you up at times, but it can also be a great driving force and motivator.

Archived