New PPM system!!

I was thinking about how pointless the PPMs are, for exp i intructed my striker who has finishing 12 and composure 8 to place shoots.

Before he learned it he missied a lot of chances in the ME but still scored some cus he cant miss em all.

So after placing shoots for 6 months i figured he would at least has more accurate shoot in the ME or his finishing will improve but no!! Instead he shoots are placed right at the keeper or horribly wide of course cus he has bad finishing and composure. But then how did he "learn" to places shoots and why did he waste 6 months with 25% less time for training to become even worse at scoring goals?

My suggestion is that the PPM are split into Player traits and Tactical Preferred moves. The player traits would be the technical ppms like shoots with power,places shoots,killer balls etc and the Tactical preferred moves would be gets into opposition area,gets forward and etc.

Whether a player can learn a player trait will depend on his attributes and not on luck.For exp you ask a player to place shoots(which would depend on finishing and composure),and if he learns it he gains +1 to finishing or composure or hes shoot is more accurate in the ME cus if he spend a lot of time in placing a shoot or shooting with power or trying killer balls he will become better at it not waste 25% of training time just for trying it more. As for the tactical preferred moves they will not gain attributes cus the moves already have a good effect in the ME but in order to be learned the player will have to have good mental attributes.

For exp. gets into opposition area would require a player to have good off the ball and anticipation to be learned but when he learns it the player will perform better in the ME depending on his tactical instruction(take Ronaldo for exp who has this move as an inside forward)

So what do you think?

I think you're slightly misunderstanding the PPM system. PPMs are not supposed to be how well a player does something, they are just how likely they are to do something. A player with 'places shots' is no more or less likely to score goals than a player with 'hits shots with power', or no shooting PPM - he's just more likely to choose to place a shot than to blast it. OK, there may be certain situations where placing is beneficial, but then again there may be situations where blasting a shot would be beneficial.

I think you're slightly misunderstanding the PPM system. PPMs are not supposed to be how well a player does something, they are just how likely they are to do something. A player with 'places shots' is no more or less likely to score goals than a player with 'hits shots with power', or no shooting PPM - he's just more likely to choose to place a shot than to blast it. OK, there may be certain situations where placing is beneficial, but then again there may be situations where blasting a shot would be beneficial.

Yes but why do players prefer to place a shoot or blast it? Cus they are good at it just look at Owen or Adriano they prefer to place/power cus they are good at it.Or why Ronaldinho tries tricks and killer balls? Cus he is the best in the world at it.Or why Gattuso dont like to place shoots very often or try a killer ball? Cus he suck at it :D

Yes but why do players prefer to place a shoot or blast it? Cus they are good at it just look at Owen or Adriano they prefer to place/power cus they are good at it.Or why Ronaldinho tries tricks and killer balls? Cus he is the best in the world at it.Or why Gattuso dont like to place shoots very often or try a killer ball? Cus he suck at it :D

Nah it's because they like to show off more, or are more likely to do the right thing (depending on what PPMs they have). It is mainly for this reason that I always considered Irwin a better freekick taker than Beckham, Irwin would look for the most likely scoring shot, while Beckham would look for the most spectacular.

I was thinking about how pointless the PPMs are, for exp i intructed my striker who has finishing 12 and composure 8 to place shoots.

Before he learned it he missied a lot of chances in the ME but still scored some cus he cant miss em all.

So after placing shoots for 6 months i figured he would at least has more accurate shoot in the ME or his finishing will improve but no!! Instead he shoots are placed right at the keeper or horribly wide of course cus he has bad finishing and composure. But then how did he "learn" to places shoots and why did he waste 6 months with 25% less time for training to become even worse at scoring goals?

My suggestion is that the PPM are split into Player traits and Tactical Preferred moves. The player traits would be the technical ppms like shoots with power,places shoots,killer balls etc and the Tactical preferred moves would be gets into opposition area,gets forward and etc.

Whether a player can learn a player trait will depend on his attributes and not on luck.For exp you ask a player to place shoots(which would depend on finishing and composure),and if he learns it he gains +1 to finishing or composure or hes shoot is more accurate in the ME cus if he spend a lot of time in placing a shoot or shooting with power or trying killer balls he will become better at it not waste 25% of training time just for trying it more. As for the tactical preferred moves they will not gain attributes cus the moves already have a good effect in the ME but in order to be learned the player will have to have good mental attributes.

For exp. gets into opposition area would require a player to have good off the ball and anticipation to be learned but when he learns it the player will perform better in the ME depending on his tactical instruction(take Ronaldo for exp who has this move as an inside forward)

So what do you think?

I'm happy to be corrected but isn't this the case already? Players are more likely to succeed at learning if they have the attributes already.

He wants players to get better if they practice learning.

Using top players isn't the best way of looking at it. What about someone who is bad at shooting, but shoots with power? Or a player who comes inside a lot, but gets tackled when he does because he isn't good enough at dribbling?

Would be a bit pointless if PPMs only added points to various attributes. It's supposed to be relevant for how they play, not how good they are at it.

Beckham was/is far superior to Irwin on freekicks btw. He didn't look for what was spectacular, but he always varied them so the keeper never knew what corner of how high/low they came flying at him.

Would be a bit pointless if PPMs only added points to various attributes. It's supposed to be relevant for how they play, not how good they are at it.

Beckham was/is far superior to Irwin on freekicks btw. He didn't look for what was spectacular, but he always varied them so the keeper never knew what corner of how high/low they came flying at him.

Then how come he was so inaccurate, we only remember the likes of Beckam (and Roberto Carlos) simply because when they pulled off their over elaborate free kicks they got replayed to the death.

Then how come he was so inaccurate, we only remember the likes of Beckam (and Roberto Carlos) simply because when they pulled off their over elaborate free kicks they got replayed to the death.

This is true to an extent, although I'd happily watch Becks score that free kick against Greece once a day.

He wants players to get better if they practice learning.

Using top players isn't the best way of looking at it. What about someone who is bad at shooting, but shoots with power? Or a player who comes inside a lot, but gets tackled when he does because he isn't good enough at dribbling?

Yes but why does he shoots with power? Cus he has a powerful shoot and even though he is bad at shooting he might get lucky.But if he didnt had powerful shoot than he wouldn't shoot with power simply cus he is a bad shooter and his shoot power is average.

I see PPMs being gradually removed in favour of "how players play" similar to manager tendencies.

So for example you could have "player instructions" in the database where it's a template showing how roughly the player plays - so Mascherano could have "Passing 7" to indicate he favours short passes, and "Tackle aggression 16" to indicate he tackles roughly. Roberto Carlos could have "Free Kick Power 20" to indicate he smashes the ball as hard as possible for free-kicks while perhaps Juninho (if he were still playing) has "Free Kick Power 12" to indicate he's more of a placer than a smasher.

They will add points and players will exercise the move more often like now,the only difference between my suggestion and the current ppm's is that if a player places shoots 6 months in training he will improve his placed shoot at least a little.

It's impossible to score from every freekick. And yes, even Beckham missed. He scored a hell of a lot though. Won't be surprised if it's 50 or more.

Teams knew that if Man Utd (or England or Real Madrid or Milan) got freekick within 30 meters of goal, he could whip it in. A bit like with Ronaldo now tbh.

Scoring from a freekick is still very difficult, so not even players like Beckham or Ronaldo can pull it off all the time. But they do/did it much better than most other footballers in the world. And as much as I love Irwin, he is nowhere near their class on freekicks.

Whose alias are you btw? Is it really that dangerous to post suggestions here?

I think PPMs and attributes should still be separate. Otherwise people would go on a PPM hunt all the time to increase attributes by a combination of training and PPMs.

"Only 13 finishing? No worries. Train this that and the other PPM and he'll have 16 in a year."

Yes but why does he shoots with power? Cus he has a powerful shoot and even though he is bad at shooting he might get lucky.But if he didnt had powerful shoot than he wouldn't shoot with power simply cus he is a bad shooter and his shoot power is average.

There is no "shot power" attribute. The "shoots with power" PPM exists to allow some players to have harder shots.

This is true to an extent, although I'd happily watch Becks score that free kick against Greece once a day.

Much prefer Irwin's against Belgium, pity the one later in the game went wide by a few inches.

It's impossible to score from every freekick. And yes, even Beckham missed. He scored a hell of a lot though. Won't be surprised if it's 50 or more.

Teams knew that if Man Utd (or England or Real Madrid or Milan) got freekick within 30 meters of goal, he could whip it in. A bit like with Ronaldo now tbh.

Scoring from a freekick is still very difficult, so not even players like Beckham or Ronaldo can pull it off all the time. But they do/did it much better than most other footballers in the world. And as much as I love Irwin, he is nowhere near their class on freekicks.

It's actually 36 goals out of 99 total (stats from here, so I'm not too sure exactly how they're compiled). Can't find any actual stats for Irwin, unfortunately.

It's actually 36 goals out of 99 total (stats from here, so I'm not too sure exactly how they're compiled). Can't find any actual stats for Irwin, unfortunately.

So 36 for United and England. Probably about 50 combined in his career then, when we factor in Real (and Milan) too. Maybe he scored a few in the States too, I don't know.

Anyway, my point was that Beckham was a great freekick-taker, and better than Irwin. Don't know how many Irwin scored from freekicks, but close to 50 goals says much about Beckham's ability.

Players like Beckham and Ronaldo (and Juninho etc) are feared on set pieces for a good reason. Hitting a ball like they do is incredibly difficult, and each time they do it, it may whistle into the net. To do it as consistently as they do is amazing.

I would definitely not train a striker with 12 for finishing and 8 for composure to place shots. I would train a player with at least 15 for finishing and great composure to shoot like that. Those type of shots mean the player has great finishing and composure and can put it in the low corner of the net each time, with no mistake.

For your player I would have encouraged him to shoot with power, hoping that if he is on goal he will go for power instead of accuracy, since his accuracy isn't great with those attributes.

Nah it's because they like to show off more, or are more likely to do the right thing (depending on what PPMs they have). It is mainly for this reason that I always considered Irwin a better freekick taker than Beckham, Irwin would look for the most likely scoring shot, while Beckham would look for the most spectacular.

................Mental.

I would definitely not train a striker with 12 for finishing and 8 for composure to place shots. I would train a player with at least 15 for finishing and great composure to shoot like that. Those type of shots mean the player has great finishing and composure and can put it in the low corner of the net each time, with no mistake.

For your player I would have encouraged him to shoot with power, hoping that if he is on goal he will go for power instead of accuracy, since his accuracy isn't great with those attributes.

A player with 12 finishing and 8 composure will have trouble to learn the move places shoots though but if you ask a player to place shoots for 6 months and if he learns the PPM then how his shoot wont become at least very little more accurate?

Archived