Does a player's reputation affect his ability?

This may have been answered before, but I cant find anything on the search function.

I was wondering, does a player with a high reputation play to a better standard than that of a lower ability, assuming there stats were the same?

For example, if Lionel Messi had 20 for pace, dribbling, finishing, composure and technique, and Joe Bloggs also had 20 for pace, dribbling, finishing, composure and technique, would Messi be a better FM player, because of a higher reputation?

Thanks

No not at all, abilities, morale and form effect (affect?) how players perform (as well as tactics).

Reputation is a result of how well known the player is, it is influenced by ability, matches played, leagues played in and international appearances. Reputation at its most basic form influences which clubs the player will play for. So someone with Messi's reputation is unlikely to sign for anyone apart from a big club.

So is there a way to determine the best tactic to be used, and best formation? I really have tried everything, but still sitting in the bottom half of the Championship for the 3rd season in succession?

You need to examine your entire squad, and identify the strengths and weaknesses.

If you have several good central defenders, and no/poor fullbacks -- play a 3-x-x formation

If you have several good central midfielders, and no/poor wingers -- play a x-3-x formation

If your flanking players are weak -- play through the middle.

If your strikers are poor at dribbling, ball control and slow, but good in the air, focus down the flanks and get those crosses in.

You need to look at each player individually, you need to look at each group of players (Fullbacks, Wingers, Central Players), and then you'll have a better feel for what formation AND tactic they can cope with.

[edit]

Reputation is just how well known they are.

High reputation only really means they want bigger wages, and the chance to play in more highly rated competitions.

Ability is only tied to reputation, because players with high ability tend to earn reputation faster through performances exceeding thier team mates/oppostion. Which is why it can be a struggle to retain some players when they are in a league below thier ability level.

This version of the match engine is slightly more forgiving to narrow tactics, so I would advice one of the following formations:

4-1-2-1-2 (4 DC, 1 DM, 2 MC, 1 AMC, 2 FC)

or

4-1-2-3 (4 DC, 1 DM, 2 MC, 3 FC)

with the later formation you can pull the 2 wide forwards to AML and AMR and have them cut inside. I have used them with 3 different saves and they have been good for me.

The absolute best advice I can give you is too look at the tactics and training forum and read the stickies there. Those threads are chock full of advice.

Who are you playing as by the way?

I will keep those in mind, and have a tinker. It does need to be done desperately.

I'm currently Ebbsfleet United in the Championship. The year is 2017-2018, and its my 3rd season in this League.

No progress seems to have been made since iv been here, only a slight increase in finance (and probably club stature)

I will keep those in mind, and have a tinker. It does need to be done desperately.

I'm currently Ebbsfleet United in the Championship. The year is 2017-2018, and its my 3rd season in this League.

No progress seems to have been made since iv been here, only a slight increase in finance (and probably club stature)

Congratulations on getting to the the Championship so quickly.

I always found it relatively easy to get promoted into the Championship, but bloody hard to get out of there, took me 3 seasons on FM09 with Tamworth if I recall correctly.

Thank you. In all previous versions I didnt have the patience to do any long term game with them, but with a bit of patience, and more time spent, its finally working.

Im just going to have to hang in there, and just try and find a solid tactic, and re-build my squad I think

Congratulations on getting to the the Championship so quickly.

I always found it relatively easy to get promoted into the Championship, but bloody hard to get out of there, took me 3 seasons on FM09 with Tamworth if I recall correctly.

Took me six seasons with them!

You really shouldnt tinker with your formation too much. It messes up your players and they play poorer. And.. championship is pretty easy to get out of if you get proper loans. You are allowed to have 4 loans. Just get 1 ST, 1 MC, 1DC and probably 1 other position in which you lacked.

Personally I got Workington freshly promoted to Championship and I reached playoffs on the last day. And got promoted within 1 season. The loan signings were amazing. As to why they worked for me was probably becos I was already loaning them in my L1 days. I tested quite a few loanees and got the few who fit into my squad and produced results. And stuck with them for a few years.

My tactic was nothing special too. I am playing a 4-4-2 even though I know that the ME doesn't favour wide formations and headers.

Archived