How long do you prepare for your next match

I mean how long you prepare your team for next opponent, analyzing the opponent's players, your tactics etc... ? does it vary between champions league matches and typical league fight ? or you just click the "continue" button and move on?

I spend about 30 seconds ;)

Only thing I worry about is my own team, and how I wish to play that day.

So I set my formation and tactics and press continue. Then I just have to adjust during the game as needed.

I'm also someone who prefers to let the opponents worry about my team rather than me preparing for them! That said there are certain games/formations/teams that I feel you have to make allowances for and this is done on a case by case basis. Whichever way I go though my prep time for a game doesn't differ too much.

Check scout report, maybe check the opponents form and star players, check my upcoming fixtures for rotation purposes and then choose my team and 'ave it!

I wonder how this affects your team when you change your formation and the sliders every game depending on the quality of your opponent. I've read various texts about tactics but still can't figure this out. I am not sure it's ok that one time team plays attacking, qucik and direct passes football and at next fixture they're forced to slow down and play more defensive. What do you guys think?

I wonder how this affects your team when you change your formation and the sliders every game depending on the quality of your opponent. I've read various texts about tactics but still can't figure this out. I am not sure it's ok that one time team plays attacking, qucik and direct passes football and at next fixture they're forced to slow down and play more defensive. What do you guys think?

Tactical inconsistency is bad in my book, how can your players gel if you constantly telling them to play differently

I generally have 3 different systems (changing between 4-4-2 , 4-5-1 and Diamond)

-Attacking (home against weaker teams)

-Control (Away to weaker teams or home to similar standard)

-Counter (Against teams who will probably control posession)

Usually a minute or two on match day.

Or if its say, last Champions league group stage match and i'm already through, i'll prepare youngsters and reserves a few days before to prevent them playing in the youth and reserve league.

Also if I get a few injuries in the previous match, i prepare my team straight after it, making sure nobody i will need to cover plays in reserves matches so they have full condition for the match ahead.

Personally I just play my team the way I want the to play and then when it comes to the match day I get my assistant to make the changes he feels are neccesary (show a particular player onto their weaker foot, man mark, tacjle hard, etc).

Otherwise for me the game gets far too pnderous and a season take forever!

I probably spend around 5 minutes on average once I know my team.

I start when I get the scout report, taking notice of opposition formation, danger areas, pitch shape and injuries.

I consider these while the game continues to match day and by then I've decided if I need to make any specific alterations for the match.

On match day I look at the league table (sometimes looking at the recent form) and our upcoming fixtures before picking the team. I tend to stick with more or less the same side limiting myself to three or four personnel changes max within the starting lineup once the season is underway.

A quick glance at the AM advice and then do the teamtalk and OP.

In the past when playing against my mate's team I would have to light a cigarette in preparation, but he has now banned smoking indoors.

For cup finals I put my suit on, maybe takes 2 minutes.

I have 1 tactic, and that's the one I use no matter who the opposition is. I'm from the Kevin Keegan school of management - Let the opposition worry about us, we're not worried about them.

I spend a couple of minutes selecting my players, I really don't like playing anyone with condition of less than about 95% if I can help it, so I rotate my squad quite a lot with 2 players for every position. But that's about as far as preparation goes for me.

Archived