Idea: Football Manager Situations

I've had this idea for a while now and have only really got round to posting it. It's something that I think would work quite easily and is a pretty unique idea.

Basically SI would produce "situation files" which could be downloaded and played by you. For example, a possible situation could be, from last season when Mancini took over at Man City. SI would make a file where everything replicated the exact situation when Mancini took over eg. players, points in the league and finances. It would basically a mini patch apart from the fact you would only be able to play with a certain team from a specific date. They could produce many different situations such as if Chelsea were 9 points behind 1st place with 10 games to go, the user could download it and see if they could win the title.

I see this as a challenge and a new database all in one. You could be given the option to stop the situation or even carry on playing and continue to build in the next season. The situations would be based on real life events like keep Portsmouth up dispite the points deduction.

This was a feature on and LMA Manager game for th PS1 or PS2.

It was quite a good idea but it had limited lifespan since once you had acheived your objective you were back to a normal game.

Would be interesting to hear how it could be expanded though.

yeah i like it and have heard it suggested before.

stuff like, you have 6 games remaining to and are 9 points adrift from saftey.

secure football in this league for another season. stuff like that.

i spose it would be a process of just downloading a save game, people could upload thier own and such maybe?

Anything suggested that was 'once in LMA' gets an instant :thdn: from me. If that game was any good and offered anything to the management sim world they would still be peddling it. They're not. Case closed.

No thanks.

If anyone has the new World Cup game for Xbox, have you seen the "Story of Qualifying" section? This is what this idea would be like. A real life situation that you could play and try to change or even if just to play to see how you do at it.

I think it would be epic! :p

Anything suggested that was 'once in LMA' gets an instant :thdn: from me. If that game was any good and offered anything to the management sim world they would still be peddling it. They're not. Case closed.

No thanks.

So because there was once something similar in LMA manager, you do not want it? Surely it's about the idea and if it would work in FM and if people would use the feature. Simply because they don't make the game anymore doesn't mean there wasn't once some good features in it. Case well and truly open.

I like the idea of scenario's,could be fun when longterm saves get stale.

I give the OP my support for sure,the option to recreate classic games would certainly add something for some FM'ers

But i doubt this will ever be included,due to the fact we have the editor.

Good idea none the less.

So because there was once something similar in LMA manager, you do not want it? Surely it's about the idea and if it would work in FM and if people would use the feature. Simply because they don't make the game anymore doesn't mean there wasn't once some good features in it. Case well and truly open.

Well not just because of that. I don't like the idea so count me out.

This can already be done to a degree. For example there used (maybe still is) a thread in the CSE forums where a user created some short term challenges. It was just a normal thread started and anyone could contribute by uploading a saved game and details of what the goals are. Off the top of my head some of them were:

• Manage Austria in Euro 2008
  • With a certain number of games to go get Leeds promoted from league one
  • Qualify for Europe with Young Boys in Switzerland with just a few games to go
  • Sunderland are in the relegation zone with 3 games to go (including one against Man United), save them from relegation

There was others aswell and a leaderboard was made as you got points for achieving certain goals.

This was for FM08. I don't know if there is any for FM10.

Other sports have stuff like this. I know Madden 10 had a "Madden Moments" gamemode or whatever. The problem was they picked relatively lame challenges. You would be hoping for stuff like re-enact the game winning drive from Super Bowl 36 or 38 but rather they had somewhat forgettable regular season games.

I know there's probably ways you can make them yourself but I think it would be good if SI made some and possibly incorporated the achievements system into it? Where doing certain things in the challenge scenario would earn you an achievement or something like this.

Like people have said if you're after a challenge then it would be perfect.

I like the sound of this, aslong as you can continue playing on as usual - in that scenario. Basically so the players are all correct, but more importantly the expectations. SI can't predict the future, and maybe if a team like Blackpool have a stunning/horrible start to the season - you can take over at January where they were in Jan 2011 IRL... you'd also have the reputation of that manager - while I love creating myself and venturing into the world of management it would be a nice change to step into the shoes of a current real life gaffer.

I think the main selling point is that it would offer a different type of game to the usual and that it lets people try to take on tasks that are real. If SI made it and made everything as close to real life as possible in the game then I think it could be brilliant and a great way of people competing with each other.

The main situations I could think of were new managers coming into clubs and seeing how well you could do, challenges in terms of league position and points won and financial challenges such as new takeovers. I'd personally love to play all of these different types of "situations" and see how well I could do.

I have to admit, I've always wanted a World Cup style thing, where you only manage the World Cup - similar idea.

This is a good one, where you jump straight into the World Cup with exactly the same teams and groups (if it has been completed in the past). Imagine playing the 2002 World Cup again with a 29-year-old Zidane at your fingertips (possibly pulling out attributes from a real past database).

I'd also like the thing Championship Manager did with trying to do Shearer's task two seasons ago to try and save Newcastle from relegation with 10 games to go.

This is a good one, where you jump straight into the World Cup with exactly the same teams and groups (if it has been completed in the past). Imagine playing the 2002 World Cup again with a 29-year-old Zidane at your fingertips (possibly pulling out attributes from a real past database).

I'd also like the thing Championship Manager did with trying to do Shearer's task two seasons ago to try and save Newcastle from relegation with 10 games to go.

That is genius! I love the sound of that World Cup one. The real groups and fixtures is probably easier to make than going back to 2002 but that could work too.

As for your second point, that is exactly what I mean. In about March SI could make this situation, make it downloadable and let people play the challenge and see how they do.

No thanks.

Actually the stadium building in LMA Manager was pretty good. It was in no way realistic, but i liked it. :D

This suggestion, as well as the "Be a Chairman" one has been done countless times. While I still think this one is better than the Chairman option, I don't quite agree that it should be anywhere up there on SI's list of priorities for the next FM.

I can see it happening, but there's a lot more that should (and will) be done first.

The idea is interesting and it wouldn't even be too hard to create [actually there are some user-created "challenges" available already].

The immediate downside is, most scenarios would be either too short or too complicated.

Like: try to avoid relegation with 6 games to go and X points of gap. Sure, a nice challenge, but assuming the transfer market is closed it's only about getting a good tactic to work pronto.

And what after the end of the scenario? Will the game just go on like a normal savegame, or it's game over?

Or, another scenario, qualify for the World Cup/Continental Championship with a weak nation. There, even with the best of tactics it'd still be an almost insurmountable task.

The whole scenario thing works much better for "action" games [the likes of FIFA/PES, F1 games etc], but a management game usually relies on very long-term projects and careers, so I think its addition would be one of those novelties which got old quite quickly.

No thanks.

We'd best get rid of the 3D match engine that most people seem to love around here in that case. Also your logic is totally flawed, the times change and some games don't keep up with the pace, but it doesn't make them bad games for their own eras. PS LMA was a great game, the Twenty20 to Champ Man's 5 day test match.

Back on topic, I quite like this idea, there was quite a good one where you got a transfer budget and a wage budget to buy a squad for a newly created team at the start of the season. I think challenges/scenarios might be a laugh, if SI can stick them in as an option without too much graft, why not?

We'd best get rid of the 3D match engine that most people seem to love around here in that case. Also your logic is totally flawed, the times change and some games don't keep up with the pace, but it doesn't make them bad games for their own eras. PS LMA was a great game, the Twenty20 to Champ Man's 5 day test match.

Back on topic, I quite like this idea, there was quite a good one where you got a transfer budget and a wage budget to buy a squad for a newly created team at the start of the season. I think challenges/scenarios might be a laugh, if SI can stick them in as an option without too much graft, why not?

I wouldn't want them to get rid of the 3D ME, but would prefer if it was improved.

Let's get back on topic. Back to what somebody said about it being too complicated I don't think it needs to be. If the challenge is to stay up then I don't think you need to have go into amounts of points or anything like that. Those could possible be introduced into an achievements system. You'd get more points, the bigger amount of margin you survive by. I'll give an example:

"Challenge: 'Slovakia have qualified for their first ever World Cup, see how far you can take them!'

Finish 4th in the group - 50 points.

3rd - 100 points.

2nd - 125 points.

1st - 150 points.

Quarter finals - 250 points."

Etc. i'm sure you get the picture.

Basically you would take over at the end of the domestic season, pick your 30 man squad, take part in friendlies and then pick your final 23 man squad. You'd then go through the World Cup with the real life fixtures and groups to see how well you do.

The achievements system could then be shown online and you can compare your achievements with your fellow players. I desperately want to play this kind of thing! :p

Archived