Ridiculous Loss Streak

Playing with Aldershot in L2. After winning the first six games of the season we were comfortably doing well. We even beat Reading in the LC. We then lost our first game, responded with a 5-2 win. And since then our form is:

L 0-4

L 0-3

L 0-3

L 0-4

L 1-7 (LC)

D 1-1

L 1-3

WTF is going on? The first four defeats I was using the exact same tactics, team talks players etc that won us eight games from our first nine. I've tried everything - different team talks, different tactics, different players. Nothing works! My defense which conceded two goals in those first nine games suddenly fell apart, we're conceding nearly every chance they get. Meanwhile we're missing hatfuls. My players' confidence is at an all time low.

So, two questions:

1) How the **** does the same team using the same tactics suddenly go from top of the world to utter *****?

2) What can I actually do to turn it around?

I don't understand... :(

This looks like a case of complancy compounded by defeat/bad-luck and then probobly a couple of mistakes, manager-wise, either to players in the dressing room or to the media.

Happens oh so easily!!

Overconfidence (and now under-confidence - which is even worse.) Plus, the AI has worked out how you play.

I would try bringing in players with decent morale, playing my key men in easy reserve games and praising them in the press.

most importantly: DON'T PANIC, if you make wild changes to your tactics things will only get worse. Make small, subtle changes.

In the long run, manage overconfidence by not rewarding OK performances with positive team talks.

all IMO, of course.

maybe your tactics have been figured out

Please read my post, rather than just the title. Ta.

Cheers for the other replies, good to see I'm not the only one. So strange though, there wasn't even a transition period of perhaps a few draws, close defeats, etc. We just went from winning 3-0 and 5-2 to losing 4-0, 3-0 and so on. My defense has fallen apart, I've tried putting my experience DM in DC (his primary position) but we're still conceding them willy nilly. My striker, who scored five goals in eight games, hasn't scored in the last five. Etc. Not sure what to do, but I'm probably on the brink of getting sacked.

It's like a Catch 22. My players confidence is insanely low, leading to defeats, leading to the confidence staying low / getting worse. To improve my results I need to improve the confidence, but their confidence won't go up 'til we start winning. :(

try bringing in a couple of players on loan if you havent reached the limit in the squad, mixing it up a bit might help.

when i get in a run like this the temptation is always to get angry during team talks, but i find the best way to turn it around is to go easy on the team, lots of sympathise/good efforts tends to stop morale getting any worse.

Archived