Is this a sign my Chairman doesn't understand financess

I play quite slowly and have just reached the end of the second season with Blyth Spartans. During my 2 year tenure we've gone from being 200K in the black to 200K in the red. Basically the club loses 20K per month, despite the fact that I have achieved their highest ever league placing and would have been promoted but for a bug back on 10.2.

I've always stuck within the wage budget, have never paid for a new player, bonuses are not excessive etc and yet the club's finances are shot to hell..., the debt is mounting and things look grim.

Question 1 is as the title says - In the past, I've never had to worry about the finances as long as I haven't pushed the board for anything. Underspending to the boards targets has always netted me a reasonable profit. Is my chairman just a financial idiot and is setting me unsustainable targets?

Question 2 is what do I do from here?

- I've been linked with jobs up to league 2 - should I just resign on a results high and wait for a new/better job, rather than struggling on and (potentially) harming my obviously growing reputation.

- Flog everyone worth anything and any high earners, concentrate on surviving in the league and earning as much cup prize money as possible and struggle on until things get better

- Try and improve income - and if so what can I do? The club's relative success hasn't netted any more fans, but I do play pretty dull football. If I go more gung ho - will this help?

Obviously - I also know I could arrange unrealistic friendlies with big clubs, and all the normal other tricks, but I like to play "realistically" - so please don't offer such solutions...

Depends obviously on the club but you'll be operating at a loss in the lower leagues quite often irrespective of the chairman. This seems present upto league 1, where a few clubs start making a profit. Provided you operate within bounds you'll do fine in the managements eyes and you won't go into administration unless you're realy unlucky. The choice is yours: stay as you are, cut the squad or move up a league. Sadly I don't think any will easily alleviate this problem unless you're very good at doing a lot with very little.

Exactly!

I´ve been at clubs and not been able to spend a dime on new players during the whole first season.

Then i´ve started a new game with another team and the puter manages the previous one and then they´re all of a sudden able to spend money i never saw starting with that team.

Having thought about it since last night - I really don't want to quit the club as I don't want to walk away, but because of my slow playing speed, I'd rather not spend 3 seasons struggling and rebuilding. Does anyone have any handy hints on how to maximise income in a realistic manner?

Many small clubs have to sell to survive. I've played a game as Blyth before and with other small clubs over the years, and that's certainly what I had to do. Get young players in cheaply or for free, train them up, sell them to the bigger boys and repeat. Sometimes operating within budget just isn't enough.

Having thought about it since last night - I really don't want to quit the club as I don't want to walk away, but because of my slow playing speed, I'd rather not spend 3 seasons struggling and rebuilding. Does anyone have any handy hints on how to maximise income in a realistic manner?

Well, it's borderline cheating I guess but you can organise friendlies against big teams. Rakes in the revenue pre-season if you can get 5 or 6 top clubs to come to Croft Park.

ive played with blyth for many seasons, a few tips, get rid of alot of your players that or on £200 a week or more,only keep if they are your best players, bring in alot of players that you should be to offer them well below £100 a week, ive never spent any money on players in my first few seasons until i reach league 2, apply for a parent club, most times i end up getting middlesbrough, and they normally send you players some good players.

Archived