FM10 crashing and restarting windows!

Iv'e played FM09 and FM10 on a high spec laptop and within the last couple of weeks FM10 has crashed 3 times and restarted windows.

Each time has been during a match (3D Key Highlights). The screen freezes except for the cursor but I cannot click anything. After less than a minute the whole system restarts itself without me pressing 'ctrl + alt + delete'.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or have any solutions for fixing such a crash. Seems to only be when playing FM and has never happened until recently.

Laptop is fully protected by anti-virus etc. One strange thing I noticed is that when windows restarts icons I have to the right of the windows 7 background (clock, news headlines) appear in the very centre of the screen. This does not happen on normal start up.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

I had a similar problem with the screen freezing during matches but not Windows restarting. I disabled some of the 3D matches features such viewing the crowd, the sky and the stadium. I have had no problems since.

how old is the system you are playing the game on as i had that on my old pc a few years ago and it turned out to be the fan on the processor had gone so the processor was overheating and therefore either shutting down to cool down or constantly rebooting but it could also be your graphics card that is on its way out and the 3d is putting too much strain on the GPU so therefore its causing windows to reboot to protect itself try running it in normal 2d and also try running another game or graphics intensive program to test if its your GPU

Whilst the game can crash, the fact that Windows is restarting would suggest that the problem lies with the computer. Most computers have a safety device that will turn them off if the machine overheats or some other component is going to cause major damage. I would suggest that you look along these lines, particularly the overheating.

Need more details but it sounds like apphangB1. If it was due to overheating most laptops that i know shut down not restart. Look at the windows problem report. I had the same problem only ever crashed during 3d match. The cause for me was avg 9 anti virus, I just disable it in start ups before I play, no problems. Does this happen at random times or after you have played for a certain time period. Could be well wide. Post more details :confused:

Thanks for the advice lads.

The first 2 times it happened, I had just loaded the game and started playing my first match of that session, so over-heating there seems unlikely. Unless the laptop had been on for a period of time before I started playing, which I can't remember unfortunately.

It happened again yesterday after a couple of hours of playing so that would fall into the over heating theory.

This has happened to me a few times and I think its because of overheating! Make sure the vents are clear. Don't have it on your lap for too long. It should be on a flat surface with the vents clear.

Ok thanks!

Is there a way to check if your laptop is close to overheating, such as a program in Windows that monitors it?

I have an overheating problem on my lap top as well, which causes my graphics card to hang in 3d matches. While it does not restart the system like yours does, it does require me to restart the game.

Now if you are playing on your laptop on your lap or sitting on the carpet, the lap top will be starved of air as the intake vents on many of them are on the bottom and exhausts on the sides (or vice versa dependant on model).

If this is the case, place it on a tray when playing to ensure the feet give air clearance.

If you are already playing on a tray, then I suggest you purchase a fan tray, several good and very cheep ones are available on Amazon (or other leading on-line stores). I personally use this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002PQSJ6O/ref=oss_product

Cheep as chips and no overheating problems since using it.

An alternative solution is to search for your model of laptop and overheating/rebooting issues. You may find it is as simple as a new windows update causing issues.

• Administrators

Yeah I purchased a fan tray for my laptop when I first got it, some laptops are just simply built with specs way over what the system can actually cool.

Archived