End of Season - Releasing Players

There is a real life rule (at least in the Football League) that a retained list must be announced after the last game of the season (or as soon as possible to it...can't remember the cut off date, but there is one...15th May rings a bell), informing players whether they will be released, retained or transfer listed. This allows any deadwood to be shifted out of the club as quickly as possible after the end of the season, freeing up squad space and budget for new arrivals ahead of the new season.

Unfortunately, this situation appears not to be replicated in game, meaning I have to hold on to my deadwood for an extra 6 or 7 weeks than I really need to, taking up valuable wages that I need for new signings. Unwanted players DO NOT remain at their clubs until the end of June, and neither do their clubs pay them off for leaving 6 weeks early.

I'm left with three options:

1) Live with it

2) Pay them off, and re-imburse myself with FMRTE

3) Moan about it on here, and hope something gets done about it for FM11

In theory, yes, but thats not how it works!

I end up paying two squads of players for the month of June - last season's and next season's - and if my budget won't stretch to that, my squad for the following season suffers.

Surely if their contracts run until the end of June then they get paid until the end of June.

I would imagine they would get a contract clause that allows early termination with no compensation between seasons

There are a number of contract clauses that are omitted within the game but are used fairly often

Archived