Wayne Rooney just scored his 90th goal for England

Carlos Vela has the potential to be a really good striker IMO, and taking into consideration that Mexico rarely play world class teams he could easily go and smash goal scoring records.

As for Rooney; he has the potential to do it IRL. We keep playing the likes of Andorra and he bangs two in those games each time he will before long. He's still young too, and he's just started really hitting his potential as evident by the last season.

Carlos Vela has the potential to be a really good striker IMO, and taking into consideration that Mexico rarely play world class teams he could easily go and smash goal scoring records.

As for Rooney; he has the potential to do it IRL. We keep playing the likes of Andorra and he bangs two in those games each time he will before long. He's still young too, and he's just started really hitting his potential as evident by the last season.

F*ck me - you're in cloud cuckoo land mate.

inttl.jpg

That's all the people on my game with over 50 international goals in 2019. There are a few that are way too high mainly Rooney, I don't think it would be possible to program long term scoring into the game as each is game is obviously simmed on it's own.

inttl.jpg

That's all the people on my game with over 50 international goals in 2019. There are a few that are way too high mainly Rooney, I don't think it would be possible to program long term scoring into the game as each is game is obviously simmed on it's own.

Thanks for proving my point!

In real life in over 100 years of international football only 20 players have EVER scored 50 or more goals at international level. In your screenshot 12 players have acheived that feat in the past 10 years (plus their earlier caps/goals). :thup:

Nuff said!

I think the problem is that normally if a player breaks through and has a great season he gets a little taste of some national team action, but usually it's not enough for him to leave in impression, let alone score a goal and I think that doesn't happen enough in the game. Especially in friendlies national team managers should be more willing to try some new players out, even if it's just for 45 minutes.

All the top scorers are at a similar level and the fact that there are still records standing like Pele and I think Germanys they arnt over the top

Try again Sherlock.

Gerd Muller (he's the German top goalscorer by the way :thup: ) had an absolutely exceptional goalscoring record - as did Pele. Some might consider them the 2 greatest goalscorers the game has ever seen. You're saying that the likes of Carlos Vela are equally as adept? :o

tbf its more likely to start happening nowadays, players are playing longer and playing international football later into their carreers

rooney has 25 in 58 so far which is less than 1 in 2 but hes now getting to the point where hes becoming a serious goalscorer

inttl.jpg

where do you find this info screen?

I think the main problem is that in my experience it's too easy to blend International squads together (to me, it's too easy to blend club teams together too, see how easy it is to build silly squads out of frees at lower league level and smash teams to pieces while the AI flounders, but I think that's an interesting tangent and perhaps related but not much).

Take England - the moment Gareth Barry (who is rather average) is removed England look really bad. Or how Pirlo's dip in form oddly enough coincides with a lack of creativity for Italy. Or how Maradona's chopping-and-changing hasn't helped his squad settle in the same way Dunga's Brazil didn't at the start too (with an equally-frightening scattergun approach).

Since national teams only meet once every now and then it should be much harder to blend a team together and in fact should be extremely difficult should you make major changes. There should be more pressure on national teams - perhaps a player who is feuding with you may deliberately play badly leading to more pressure on you and the team (affecting team morale). Or perhaps a selfish player who has scouts watching him but isn't really interested in the national team starts doing silly selfish tricks during a match that requires discipline.

Because there's so few matches we could have cases where players aren't loyal to the national team and some may not really be bothered about playing for the national team. Some may care more about the national team than the club which could lead to feuds with other managers. Discipline and motivation should be much harder as the team hasn't had time to gel and lean upon each other for help (unless of course you pick largely the same team again and again).

Only the best managers should be able to:

- Gel a national team together before a major competition in few matches

- Motivate a team used to different motivational styles

- Impose himself on the team

- Tactically get players used to the national team's tactics in few matches

- Rotate for friendlies without affecting the overall team structure

There should be much more scrutiny on staff appointments - you can bet if Capello hired Tony Adams as assistant manager instead of Franco Baldini there would be a bit of an uproar in the media and several players would (long-term) doubt what is going on. Of course if you then fire Adams and hire someone much better the players and media will wonder if they know what you are doing. Hired coaches and physios should get similar treatment.

Somehow deleted my last post so here is a smaller version! :o

Ok for me only players playing for nations in South America and Europe count - becasue of their standard of football and the others lack of standard. I think i could even net a couple in Asia! :D

I'm in year 2023 so I played a generation of football if you like.

The elite footballing nations:

England - Rooney became all-time goalscorer.

France - Benzema " "

Spain - Torres " "

Portugal - C.Ronaldo " "

Italy - Paloschi " "

Holland - Huntelaar " "

Germany - N/A

Argentina - Aguero " "

Brazil - no one still Pele

So out of the best internationl teams - so 7/8 countires have new goalscoring records - come on guys it quite obvious to me that the internationl scoring rate is one of the few aspects of FM that is quite out of sink and is unrealistic.

Thats not forgetting Vela who has 122 goals for mexico, Altidore who has 112 golas for USA and Sanchez who has 103 golas for Chile! Im sure there are more but alot of players have retired now.

If anyone form SI is reading this - please have a look at the way that players break the countries all-time goalscoring record at will! The evidence is there on everyones game I am sure. It is getting a bit silly! :eek:

• Administrators

Somebody should do an experiment to investigate whether it is match detail that effects this, in other words:

On full detail (international matches) over x amount of years, are the records broken, or they more likely than if the detail is set to none (or minimum) ?

That is something that would really help SI, rather than posting random screenshots, IMO.

The other thing to consider is, of course nowadays, players play more games at international level than in the days of Pele, Mullers, etc. It won't be long until records are broken. Owen was well on course to break the England record until Capello yanked him.

I think the main problem is that in my experience it's too easy to blend International squads together (to me, it's too easy to blend club teams together too, see how easy it is to build silly squads out of frees at lower league level and smash teams to pieces while the AI flounders, but I think that's an interesting tangent and perhaps related but not much).

Take England - the moment Gareth Barry (who is rather average) is removed England look really bad. Or how Pirlo's dip in form oddly enough coincides with a lack of creativity for Italy. Or how Maradona's chopping-and-changing hasn't helped his squad settle in the same way Dunga's Brazil didn't at the start too (with an equally-frightening scattergun approach).

Since national teams only meet once every now and then it should be much harder to blend a team together and in fact should be extremely difficult should you make major changes. There should be more pressure on national teams - perhaps a player who is feuding with you may deliberately play badly leading to more pressure on you and the team (affecting team morale). Or perhaps a selfish player who has scouts watching him but isn't really interested in the national team starts doing silly selfish tricks during a match that requires discipline.

Because there's so few matches we could have cases where players aren't loyal to the national team and some may not really be bothered about playing for the national team. Some may care more about the national team than the club which could lead to feuds with other managers. Discipline and motivation should be much harder as the team hasn't had time to gel and lean upon each other for help (unless of course you pick largely the same team again and again).

Only the best managers should be able to:

- Gel a national team together before a major competition in few matches

- Motivate a team used to different motivational styles

- Impose himself on the team

- Tactically get players used to the national team's tactics in few matches

- Rotate for friendlies without affecting the overall team structure

There should be much more scrutiny on staff appointments - you can bet if Capello hired Tony Adams as assistant manager instead of Franco Baldini there would be a bit of an uproar in the media and several players would (long-term) doubt what is going on. Of course if you then fire Adams and hire someone much better the players and media will wonder if they know what you are doing. Hired coaches and physios should get similar treatment.

Some excellent points there sir, and I think implementing these would make the game a lot more realistic.

Somebody should do an experiment to investigate whether it is match detail that effects this, in other words:

On full detail (international matches) over x amount of years, are the records broken, or they more likely than if the detail is set to none (or minimum) ?

That is something that would really help SI, rather than posting random screenshots, IMO.

The other thing to consider is, of course nowadays, players play more games at international level than in the days of Pele, Mullers, etc. It won't be long until records are broken. Owen was well on course to break the England record until Capello yanked him.

Huh? This is what SI should be doing, in fact should already have done. Jeez, some people just don't get that SI is a business... ie they make loads of money out of us.

You have a lot to learn about life if you're happy to do such donkey work for free.

intgoals.jpg

Well my list of those with over 50 international goals (currently in the game) is about the same in length to the others that have been posted. As for the Top European/South American Nations, the Goalscoring records are as follows:

England: Wayne Rooney - 75

Italy: Mario Balotelli - 62

Argentina: Sergio Aguero - 78

Holland: Peter Kila (Regen) - 63

Spain: Fernando Torres - 63

France: Ishak Belfodil - 90

Brazil: Pele - 77

Portugal: Cristano Ronaldo - 83

Now again all of these have been broken except for Pele's.

Here is where my argument goes to having no facts to back it up, but I would like to see if anyone can provide it, or if someone can provide evidence that points a different way that would be cool too. So several points that I would like confirmed one way or the other.

1) More Internationals are played than in the past.

2) There are on average more goals per game than in the past.

3) Players are debuting younger, and retiring later than in the past.

Ok so three factors that I believe could contribute towards this, yes I agree it is probably blown out a lot more in FM10 than it should been, but if it turns out the way I believe with a bit of research maybe it is not as far off target as we may be thinking. Of course to prove any of this one way or the other you would need several data points say 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010 and data on the above, as well as possibly looking at the total number of "current players with over 50 Int Goals" as another point to look at and see if these relate to each other.

Now I am really tempted to run an experiment and research the data and see what we come out with.

Your attitude isn't doing you any favours Sloppy.

Anyway for comparision here the the goalscorers with over 50 goals in my save:

InternationalGoals.png

You can see that I'm in 2019 and I have every league playable with a lot of internationals on full detail.

Some observations I would make about the thread:

A) Its difficult to compare Internationals now with those of the past. Football has changed significantly over the years with more Internationals played now and nations much closer in skill level.

B) Rooney has scored significantly less goals for England in my save, in fact he doesn't score all that many for Man Utd either (Only scoring more than 10 league goals in three of the last ten seasons). His goals per game is much more realistic and only slightly higher than his current RL record.

My personal opinion is that two factors have contributed to him scoring more in other peoples saves. First other people probably have less playable nations with England being one of them. We know playable nations become stronger internationally while non-playable ones weaken giving a larger gap between nations which in theory should produce more goals for the playable nations. Secondly when Internationals are simmed I suspect the scoreline is produced then goalscorers are "allocated the goals" on a weighted random. With strikers allocated most of the goals and Rooney being the main English striker I think this has led to him being "allocated" more than you would expect to see in RL.

C) Ronaldo also has less goals in my save than Acids but his record is very similar to Rooney's and follows the same pattern. I can also add Shelton in here as he currently has a RL record of 28 goals from 50 appearances (0.55 goals per game). In both Acids and my save he has seen his gpg drop to around 0.45 but its still similar to RL.

D) Altidore & Vela's records are around a goal every 0.55 matches which isn't unrealistic at International level but perhaps higher than we would expect for these players in the future. I think this is partly due to physical stats being slightly overpowered in FM (Vela has pace, Altidore is strong) coupled with both USA & Mexico playing a number of weaker nations in their zone.

E) Wood is clearly a case of New Zealand being a big fish in a small pond with a good player standing out from the rest.

F) Also interesting that I haven't got any Argentinians in my list with Acid having two, I have all South American nations playable does Acid only have Argentina & Brazil? For the record Tevez has 34 goals from 112 caps while Aguero has 31 goals from 71 caps in my save.

I think it comes down to playable leagues, for instance there are only 60 ish players I can select from for Uruguay, so for some nations the players who start the game are going to be around longer because the regens will be more focused on your league game.

Looking at Cougars game who has more leagues loaded the top players seem to have slightly less goals than other people who have posted

• 1 month later...

If I might interject a little bit of levity, it would be interesting to know how many of Rooney's goals were scored in qualifying and friendlies and how many in the big tournaments? Is he still on a WC duck in most saves?

Well, I could see Landon Donovan getting a bunch more. He's already at 45 and most of CONCACAF is rubbish. Altidore while he missed constantly in the World Cup had the most qualifying goals of any player - or so the ESPN announcers kept saying, so he clearly has no issue putting it in the back of the net against the likes of Trinidad and Tobego. But I think this thread has done well to establish a clear pattern that seems out of whack with reality.

Altidore getting 144 though... sure I could see a physical specimen beating up on minnows but... yeah quite a bit too much.

Archived