Top teams doesn't strengthen their teams in the future

Is it only me or have other experienced that the big teams in Europe seem to buy mediocre/average players as the seasons go by. I'm playing as Newcastle and am now in my 4th season, 3rd in PL. The big teams such as Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs don't buy big players who go straight into the sides. Spurs won PL the first season and instead of buying big players they sold Modric to City and didn't buy any replacement.

The problem in general is that the big teams don't buy good players to replace players they have sold or players that has retired, they only start to use younger inexperienced players. Ex is Man Utd who now has Rooney, Berbatov, Macheda and Welbeck as their strikers. In many games they start with the Macheda and Welbeck, this would not have happened in real life as they are too unexperienced.

Has anyone else seen this? Espescially City who has a lot of money to spend has bought players like Kuzmanovic, Diaby, m.m. Players that are no better than what they have. This is also the case in Spain and Italy.

Comments anyone?

Is it only me or have other experienced that the big teams in Europe seem to buy mediocre/average players as the seasons go by. I'm playing as Newcastle and am now in my 4th season, 3rd in PL. The big teams such as Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs don't buy big players who go straight into the sides. Spurs won PL the first season and instead of buying big players they sold Modric to City and didn't buy any replacement.

The problem in general is that the big teams don't buy good players to replace players they have sold or players that has retired, they only start to use younger inexperienced players. Ex is Man Utd who now has Rooney, Berbatov, Macheda and Welbeck as their strikers. In many games they start with the Macheda and Welbeck, this would not have happened in real life as they are too unexperienced.

Has anyone else seen this? Espescially City who has a lot of money to spend has bought players like Kuzmanovic, Diaby, m.m. Players that are no better than what they have. This is also the case in Spain and Italy.

Comments anyone?

Kuzmanovic and Diaby develop into world class players.

It's true. While the other big teams have got some quality players, their team as a whole isn't up to the standard it used to be. Arsenal have been mid table for a long while on mine. I mean, they bought a CB from me who was absolutely awful for the Prem, and played him regularly for 5 years or so. They also kept Fabregas playing regularly till he was about 35-36, and Eden Hazard till he was about 37, they just won't replace them at the right time.

I don't want to call the transfer logic flawed but after winning the title for the third time with Palace (with a team of youngsters) I thought I might spend my 50 million on one star player. Problem is I couldn't afford anyone except £30mil Akinfeev.

I don't want to call the transfer logic flawed but after winning the title for the third time with Palace (with a team of youngsters) I thought I might spend my 50 million on one star player. Problem is I couldn't afford anyone except £30mil Akinfeev.

buying truly star players is difficult. but i wouldn't class this as a problem.

i paid £55mill for Pato. i had a £65mill offer for benzema rejected.

if i wanted good players then that would be easier, or players that could turn into top stars, especially if they are in smaller leagues.

Comments anyone?

i agree with this. and the fact that the big teams spend a lot of money on utter rubbish. arsenal pay £15-25mill on players that only get a 1-and-a-half to 2 star rating from my Liverpool scouts.

manutd also seem to rely too heavily on their youngsters that aren't particularly good. they dont seem to let them go. Macheda never seems to amout to anything speciail but he's still sitting in the Manutd team getting games.

Yeah Chelsea United and Arsenal are always fighting against relegation by like 2018. Needs sorting out for FM 2011.

That is a blanket statement that is not true in my game and if I recall an earlier thread is not true for the majority of people.

Think it might depend on either your database size or how many leagues you run.

I use large database and have 3 leagues running, so I don't think this is the reason. There are a lot of good players to pick from.

I have to go against that theory Sean, I'm running something like 70 leagues with 120,000 players, but I still see this problem

Since I manage in England it's more noticable, but I have seen large teams in Italy and Spain go south alot sooner than would be expected

Atm, I've gone as far as making Man Utd players super-fit before each game, but the AI still struggles

I've also seen the AI spend millions on players that would warm the bench in the championship with full PA

Infact, the only English team that tends to stay strong are Chelsea

Sure, each save varies, but I would rather the top teams mostly stay up the top for at least a couple of seasons

Obviously it can't be coded to "fix" this, but, to me, it's either a sign of the wrong stats being assigned/assessed somewhere, or the "elite" AI needing made a little better

I do remember a thread showing that AI manager stats have very little effect on actual team performance, other than the formation being used

Perhaps this is something that needs changing, making top managers having their players perform better

Earth to SI forums, earth to SI forums...........:D

This has been the case in FM for years now - the fact that the AI dont buy great players, often over the hill, or average players and do not invest in the future. Thats why in my save in 2023 most teams do not have 8 club or nationally trained players in their squad. And this is why long save game become too easy after a while becasue of the competition. At the start of the game it is fine - with the real players playing for many different clubs. But the AI clubs often buy poor regens and hence down the line they are not good enough and it just becomes far too easy 10-15 years in to a save. :(

SI have said that in FM10 this has been improved and I would say it has, but it still needs a lot of work IMO.

Archived