Players who are far too good for your league

Just thought I would start this thread to ask everybody a simple question.

Who is your best ever signing in terms of how much better than the rest of the league they were.

I'm sure anybody who has played a lower league game has at one point picked up a player who has torn the league apart, outclassing everybody else there, and who single handedly drove your team to the top. Here is where you can show those players.

I'll start with my best signing in any FM ever.

Playing a long term game as Backwell United, starting in Level 11. I had reached the level just below the Blue Square North/South and I picked up Evandro Brandao on a free transfer. Some of you may have heard of him, he used to play at Man Utd and Benfica.

When I signed him it was obvious he was better than 99% of the strikers in the league and he had the time of his life, scoring 96 goals in 67 games in all competitions.

The best was yet to come though. The amount he improved that season beggered belief. This is him part way through his second season at the club in the Blue Square South:

evandrobrando.png

I have been turning down offers for him from premiership clubs, championship clubs, top foreign clubs. He now hates me but he is not leaving till the day his contract runs out.

Also, for those who accuse me of cheating, I play a single striker formation, with that striker scoring almost every goal (my next highest scorer is on 6), and I DO NOT use the corner cheat.

Hes actualy got stats taht are good enough for championship players, What he doin in the BSS

Well he was a lot worse than that when I signed him, he has improved a huge amount in the past 18 months.

How did I sign him? Well he was asking for £95 per week part time, and I had just offloaded about half my squad and so offered him £400 per week full time and around a £10k signing on fee when he didn't want anything, along with the maximum appearance and goal bonuses I could offer.

gadi.png

Won League 2 with Notts County in 2009/10 and the next year was able to loan Chris Gadi (amongst others) thanks to an affiliation with Manchester United. Did pretty well in his first season, and his only season in League 1, and was able to sign him permanently.

That was with a formation utilising three strikers, and the other two were of a top calibre too. So I wouldn't say that Gadi was lightyears ahead of everyone else in League 1 at the time, especially factoring in his age at the time, but it certainly was a pretty special signing and he's gone on to play for Inter and play very well too.

I actually left Notts County in between the 2010/11 and 2011/12 seasons taking over Manchester United after he retired. Tony Adams replaced me at Notts and proved to be rather mediocre, not able to capitilise on players such as Gadi who are of a standard above that of the Championship. He's since been sacked (after many years of doing a poor job) and Notts are now in League 1.

FM '05 or '06 can't remember. Dr Dove's Tranmere Rovers team were failing to capitalise on their triumphant promotion to the Championship. An ageing Michael Brown, rejected by several Premier League Clubs, hated by fans and players alike, sought refuge at Prenton Park. He received the arm band straightaway and was still playing at the club 4 or 5 years later as I was sacked following defeat to Dortmund in the Champions League Semi. I have loved Michael Brown from the day he spanked in his first Championship free kick against Bristol City to this day now, sure, the red cards and cautions flowed, but it was all well worth it.

On FM07 I signed a newgen called Jonathan Burgess for Burton (think were in BSP iirc) scored 52 league goals, 55 overall

In league 2 scored 43 league goals and his goals got us back to back promotion

In league 1 scored 22 league goals and got us to playoffs but we lost in semis

In league 1 scored 30 league goals and got hattrick on last day to get 2nd

In Championship got 16 league goals, finished mid table

In championship got 15 league goals including winning goal in playoff final

In Premiership got 21 league goals including hat-trick against arsenal

In premiership got 13 league goals and FA cup winning goal

In champo league was 2nd top scorer even though didnt make through group stages (8 goals)

Think that as far as i got but might be looking to find that game now :D

Archived