Your worst FM10 experience

Me and my friends just concluded the 2013/2014 Premier League season and it pretty much flopped right in the last stages.

Here's my team stats for the whole season

davidvillastats.jpg

As you can see, only David Villa could score at all...and then comes the last few weeks of the season. David Villa injured...and it all fell apart right at the crucial stages. I was 3 points behind top of the league Arsenal (league winners) and was still to play them. I couldn't score despite dominating and was beaten 4-0 from their counter attacks.

Then comes the Champions League semi-final 2nd leg against Man City. Villa had helped me on my way to a 4-2 home victory by scoring a hat-trick but missed the 2nd leg through injury. I lost 2-0 and was beaten on away goals, again pretty much the same story as the match vs. Arsenal. I went on to finish 2nd in the league, but I'm absolutely gutted.

It's your tactics.

No, seriously. You can't rely your success to one player only. I hardly works IRL (Rooney for ManU, Fabregas for Arsenal) and it doesn't work in FM as well.

You have to give fair playing time to several players, build their confidence, gel them to team, so that if one is injured, the others can step up.

My worst recently isn't that bad. As England manager, having already won the Euro's and World Cup once, got to the semis of the Euro's, lost to France, then in the first friendly afterwards, was held to a draw at Wembley by Greece, then lost to Ireland 1-0, with my Liverpool right back conceding a penalty against my Liverpool left winger, and having a player I sold 4 years ago score the penalty against me. And the same player injured my top striker for Liverpool as well. I wasn't happy, and resigned from the job.

You gave Didier Drogba 1 start and 4 sub appearances all season? I hope for your credibility he was injured?

If not then EPIC fail.

It's 2014 in his save, so I'm pretty sure by then he's quite poor. In 2014 he was at Hibs in my save...

Posted this a little while back but did manage to oversee a mega end of season collapse myself!

Have been playing Football Manager ever since my days on the Amiga 1200 and Domark as the publisher and have never had such a blow up towards the end of the season as I have just managed to oversee with my beloved Arsenal.

To be fair in the league I was always just 3 / 4 points behind the top two (Chelski and Man City) so no surprise to finish third only 2 points off of winning the league.

However in the cups it was looking a different story.

Firstly though in the Champions League I was in a group of death with Ac Milan & Ajax and finished third in the group with 10 points so a little unlucky not to progress given other teams in other groups got through with 8 points, but ended up in the UFEA cup where I progressed to the final, more of that in a minute!

Before that though I got through to the final of the League Cup losing to Chelsea 2 - 1 but still good experience for my young team as it was their first final.

Then nearly at the end of the season (still chasing the league also at this stage) I played the final of the UEFA Cup losing 1 - 0 to Schalke .

Still I still had the final of the FA Cup to look forwards to as my last game of the season, bad news up against Chelsea again and lost 3 - 1 after extra time, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

So there you are I could have won all four trophies and yet managed to end up potless, has anyone else managed to grab such a level of failure from the jaws of success in one season????!!!

PS Mind you as an aside Wigan were relegated from the Premiership in the same season with the following stats:

W 0 D 8 L 30 F 28 A 85 GD - 57

Loosing the champions league final because I got 4 injuries in the second half.. Ended the game with 7 outfield players :(

Thats the kind of thing that gets keyboards thrown through flat screens.

Mine was the Serie A bug in FM09. Got halfway through my first season, game crashes (same place everytime) and I had to wait for the patch, which came a few months later.

in about 2015 i had got liverpool to there 2nd successive champs lge final, winning the first one. was 4-1 up against inter milan in the 87th minute. and guess what happens.... my CB's go walkies fo rthe last 5 mins!

conceded 88th minute for 4-2

conceded 90th minute for 4-3

conceded 92nd minute for 4-4

conceded 94th minute for 4-5!!!!!

my regen CB scored the 90th min one, own goal(was quite good though tbf)

92nd minute one Otamendi turned himself around 6 times, 6!! and got tackled 25 yards out by coutinho who ran through and slotted in the corner.

i'm pretty tactically astute, had changed the game to control, retain possesion, used subs to waste time and even changed a 4-3-3 to 4-5-1 to give extra passing in the middle.

needless to say, i swiftly drank my pint i had!!!

oh, and the season after i was 3-0 up against barca after the 1st leg of the quarters of CL, lost return leg 4-0 after conceding 3 up until the 119th minute,thinking i was hanging on for penalties..... then bojan scored, and i punched my laptop screen. safe to say it no longer works.........lol

Recently, probably my Blackburn save...

Had gotten them into the Champions league after finishing 3rd in the 11/12 season. Got through the group stages, and was handed Bayern Munich in the first knockout stage. Was quietly confident we could defeat them. First leg away, we're 3-0 down at half time and playing awfully. After raging at the players at half time, we came out and got them game back to 3-3. I thought at home in the second leg we'd easily beat them. Cue us absolutely dominating the game but losing 1-0 thanks to a Samba own goal.

Well, I got over it and focused on getting into the Champions League again. We'd made a poor start to the season, but gone on a fantastic run of form at the end which I realised around game 31/32 actually had us with a chance of winning the title! Game 37 is against Tottenham at home. Spurs are top with 79 points. We're on 78 points. Our last match of the season is an easy one, against one of the relegated teams away, so if we beat Spurs we're effectively champions.

First half was fairly bad, but it was still 0-0. Then in the 78th minute, we score to make it 1-0. Job done, surely? Nope. 82nd and 84th minute goals from Jermaine Defoe make it 2-1 Spurs. We then hit the bar twice and have the ball cleared off the line in stoppage time. Game ends, I've got my head in my hands :( worst thing is, we beat the relegated team 7-1 in the final match of the season and Spurs lost their match... so we still ended up only a point behind them, and even a draw at home against them would have made the title ours :mad:

Still, I did win the title easily the season after, which eased the pain somewhat :cool: and managed to get to the quarter finals of the Champions League before getting knocked out :o

Loosing out on Champions League glory to Juve on penalties. I was Rangers and it was only 2013, did so well to get into the final and too loose on penalties was bad. Now I've been in the semi's the last 4 seasons and just can't make that push. Juventus and Porto (3 in a row CL titles) are the biggest clubs in the world after Real Madrid and Barcelona took a nap for 3-4 seasons. Now the latter two have woken making it even harder.

My worst has been restarting my Bradford game. This was after getting the transfer bug from the latest patch. The fun i had from buying Man City's transfer listed at ridiculous prices Micah Richards 2.5mil, Kalou 4.6mil and Michael Johnson 3.5mil :'( Hopefully when i get back near the Prem they'll all come for the same price.

On FM09 I became the greatest manager ever, but this was one result Barcelona fans would never forget:

Score-1.jpg

Thankfully a few seasons later I won the final at the Bernabeu, but unfortunately not against Madrid.

As a Real Madrid fan that makes me so happy :D

Archived