Foreign / Non-EU player limits

Anyone else find it frustrating in certain countries?

I don't want to manage in England anymore because of the work permit situation stopping me bringing really good South Americans in. Italy is even worse - no non-EU signing from abroad. France has a 4-non EU limit, so at the moment, I'm sticking with Belgium, where the rule is for 6 Homegrown players in a match squad of 15. It's more interesting to identify your best six Belgians then sign whoever you want from any country, than to be hamstrung by rules like in England or Italy. I've just finished 5th in the Belgian second division with KV Oostende, and my board are delighted with me, because I built a team mainly around fairly cheap (and not big wage earning) Argentine players on the bench at their top division clubs - Martín Morel from Tigre (20 goals), Nicolás Pavlovich from Argentinos (13 goals), Monzón the superb Huracán keeper, Estebán González from Gimnasia (brilliant DM) and Sperdutti of Newell's (an in and out winger, but very entertaining), not to mention free transfers such as Jose Chatruc and Carlos Tévez's brother Miguel. I bet such a team would be battling at the higher end of the English Championship, but I'd never get work permits.

Having said that, despite playing really entertaining football and having an eleven match unbeaten run, my attendances are never more than 4,000. Do you think the fans can't relate to a mainly Argentinian side, or isn't it that sophisticated?

What are the rules in other countries btw? Is there another European country where I can launch a similar South American experiment without being too limited by rules?

Surely this makes it more fun - it means that you cannot fill your team with loads of foreigners. Whilst it may be more restrictive than other leagues I think it is the right thing to do.

Archived