Every season atleast once.

To clarify, you're saying the bug is that your cup opponewnts tend to be the same team you are scheduled to play in the league the game after the cup tie? I've noticed this myself too, but I think its just coincidence. It happens in real life fairly often too.

To clarify, you're saying the bug is that your cup opponewnts tend to be the same team you are scheduled to play in the league the game after the cup tie? I've noticed this myself too, but I think its just coincidence. It happens in real life fairly often too.

Or is that SI code for that having noticed that it happens occasionally in real life and they like to make the game as 'noticable incident' packed as they can ?

Yes and yes sometimes this happens in real life too. But this happens EVERY season in every FM. Maybe someting in code? :confused:

• Administrators
Or is that SI code for that having noticed that it happens occasionally in real life and they like to make the game as 'noticable incident' packed as they can ?

Pffft, no chance! :D

This is just coincidence, there is absolutely nothing in the game to make this happen more regularly than it would otherwise appear.

Some coincidence, I get this nearly every season lol

Hell, in one year, I played Man Utd 4 times in the space of a month, with 3 of those times being one after the other, the fourth time was after I played someone else

Tbh, I just left it as an annoyance, wish I'd taken screenshots now lol

I used to think this happened a lot, until I actually counted up how many times it happened in 10 seasons. It was 8 times.

When you think that the better teams tend to get to the later stages of big competitions, then the chances of meeting one of them is increased and so also it increases the chance of meeting them in the domestic league in the previous or later match.

Errr. I just had

AC Milan - Italian Super Cup

followed by

AC Milan - European Super Cup

followed by

AC Milan - Seria A

followed by

AC Milan - Italian Cup

lol

The top 2 are because you both won stuff, well done.

Serie A is random fixture list surprise.

The Italian Cup thing you are mistaken or are not giving us all the info because Milan wouldn't be entering until January ish.

Alright- Lets assume you are a very successful team in the EPL in a typical season. Assume that in the FA cup you meet 3 EPL teams. Also assume in the Carling cup you meet 3 teams (one of them 2-legged semi-final cos that is where you got knocked out ;0 ). Lets also assume you met an EPL team in a round in Europe. Overall that is 9 cup encounters. Each time a cup game is played, it is sandwiched between 2 EPL matches, so that chance of this occurrence happening is 2/19 in each instance.

In this typical season the chance of it NEVER occurring is only (17/19)^9=36%.

The expectation (mean) amount of times is (2/19)*8=18/19 which is pretty much just 1

So is it REALLY that unlikely that this wouldn't happen once in a season? REALLY? I am just very irritated this very same type of thread just keeps popping up again and again... meh. ITS RANDOM!

I wouldn't say every season but it does happen a surprising amount. IRL, i remember in 1999 Wimbledon FC (may they live on through AFC) when we were in the Premiership playing Tottenham 4 times in a row, premiership, league cup 1st leg, fa cup and finally league cup 2nd leg. Well, actually i'm hazy on the order and the competitions (could be an fa cup replay in there) but it definitely happened!

What worries me more is this: playing the big teams all in a row. This was an all to regular occurance on FM09 and thankfully i'm yet to encounter this problem on FM10 (i've only had the game a week). Has happened with me with Man City, i played 3 of the big 4 in a row, with Atletico i played Real, Barca and Valencia in a row and with Catania i played Inter, Juve and Roma in a row. And because of the way the fixtures were done, i'd have this pattern of fixtures twice in one season. And this wasn't an isolated problem in one season and even in one save.

This happens to me almost every season, at some point of the cup competition I draw a team that I then have to play back to back. I'm sure it doesn't happen so frequently in real life. Must be a bug that SI programmers can't locate. This bug has been with the game for so many years now, I don't remember when it first started.

I noticed this lots as well just played Newell's in the league and then in the Libertadores. It does seem to happen more than it should do in my opinion.

cityb.th.jpg

Also a bit strange but doesn't matter that often at all, the missus has to play Man United consecutively in the EPL.

i seem to get the same teams in cup draws. i got hartlepool in opening round of the JP Trophy 2 seasons running. i have also drawn man city in round 3 of the fa cup and league cup this season, both away as well :( didnt stand much chance as a league 1 side tbf

Unless Milan had a fall from grace in his career somehow still winning stuff.

Can't be as the Italian cup qualification is based on how you did last year (like the League cup). If you're in Europe then you're 4th round entry IIRC which is either December or January. After that it's nearly all big teams.

Every single season this happens to me - not once, not twice but usually three times a season. I had it happen 5 times in one season.

I cannot see that this is a coincidence.

I've just had this again against Stoke

Sure, I agree it's not actually bug, and I accept it's coincidence, but it's somewhat a more obvious one than others lol

You also have to think, the reason it rarely happens in real world situations is because league fixtures are attempted to be set up in a way of lowering the chances of this happening [and a hundred other scenarios]

I read an interesting article by the person in charge of fixtures for the Premiership, and it apparently takes months to finalize the fixture list, going back and forth between clubs and police, as well as ensuring certain derbies don't occur at certain times of the year, or two teams local to each other are never playing at home on the same day, as well as ensuring fans don't need to travel far around Christmas and new year (ie. each team will play a relatively close team geographically, but won't be a derby [with exception of the London teams I think]) and so on and so on

It's a rather complex system, but I would imagine FM uses a simpler system for the sake of processing speed

At the same-time, who's to say cup draws aren't fixed anyway IRL? Would be extremely easy to pull off after-all, but then we are going into the realm of conspiracies and shall just leave it

I read an interesting article by the person in charge of fixtures for the Premiership, and it apparently takes months to finalize the fixture list, going back and forth between clubs and police, as well as ensuring certain derbies don't occur at certain times of the year, or two teams local to each other are never playing at home on the same day, as well as ensuring fans don't need to travel far around Christmas and new year (ie. each team will play a relatively close team geographically, but won't be a derby [with exception of the London teams I think]) and so on and so on

It's a rather complex system, but I would imagine FM uses a simpler system for the sake of processing speed

Interesting, didn't know that. :thup:

• 5 months later...

It does happen, but I do tend to have long cup runs, so you're bound to end up playing several sides in the cup. On the flipside, I've won the League Cup without coming up against a single Premiership team.

And, to add an example of this happening, in 2004 (the year Middlesbrough won the FA Cup), Middlesbrough played Arsenal 4 times in 6 games, 3 of them away (1 lge, 1 FA, 2 Lge Cup). The season after, they played Man Utd twice in a month (Lge, FA). The season after, they played Blackburn in two successive games (Lge, FA) and West Ham twice in three games (Lge, FA). In 2006, there were no particular close shaves, and since then, we've generally been knocked out by lower league opponents.

in early rounds.

I'm not suggesting every club is the same, but if you're getting good cup runs, it seems likely that it'll happen.

I had this happen in a Sevilla game on FMHi. Played Atletico Madrid five times in a matter of 2-3 weeks (semifinals of the Copa del Rey, Champions League knockout stages and in La Liga). It was deja vu, all over again.

Archived