Golden crop of regens

Is it possible to get a rush of good regens at one club over a period of about 5 years? Barcelona managed it in the last 10 years, with players like Messi, Fabregas, Pique, Pedro, Xavi, Iniesta, Bojan etc. all coming through the academy.

Is this even possible in FM, obviously your facilities would have to be 20/20 or close to it, but I've never seen it done.

I've never had it. Looking at my first team squad, only 3 of them were made at my club, though most of the club was brought in before they were 20.

However, if I look at players I've sold who've become quality, that number goes up to 6-7 players who are playing at a higher level(top league in their country.

I've got the best facilities as well.

I'm Barcelona and here are some of the players that have come throught the academy in a 5 year period. They make the list becasue of their attributes (not all are amazing mind!) and what level they have gone to play at (I think all play for teams in the top flight in their respective country and a few don't becasue they are still quite young and i have had a couple in the 'B' side to get some first team action) a good level. I'm not saying these are good as Man Utd's or Barcelona's golden generation of acadamy players. A lot have moved on becasue at Barcelona competition is pretty tough!

2014-15

Juan Jose

Proof

2015/16

Pablo Requena

Proof

Heinz Schwegler

Proof

Jose Miguel

Proof

2016/17

Jordi Zabaleta (Spain Vice Captain)

Proof

Myo Aung

Proof

2017/18

Ayoze Vicente

Proof

Jacobo

Proof

2018/19

Jose Manuel Llabres (Spain Captain and Barcelona Vice Captain)

Proof

Jose Antonio

Proof

Tomas Minambres

Proof

2019/20

Daniel Castro (Former Spain captain & first teamer at the age of 17)

Proof

I can't really claim the credit for the players because I guess it has a lot to do with luck - when they enter the game via my academy. I am all so Spain manager so thats why a few of the players have got some many caps at such a young age - but even if they we not my club players I'm pretty sure they still would have that many caps! In the last few years - maybe 4 my academy players have really dried up - or I have not being getting the payers of the calibre of the likes of Llabres or a Castro. I have a lot more very good 'home grown' players but they did not come through the academy - but bought at a young age and were trained at youth level in stead of being promoted.

I really have way too much time on my hands!!! :D That took ages to post! :p

Hate it when you have somebody come through the youth accademy who looks like they'll turn world class. You keep hold of them until they are about 24 and they really don't live up to your expectations. You then sell them to someone like Blackburn and then by time they are 27/28 and in their prime they are at Arsenal or Chelsea and playing amazing.

I've had some potential first teamers come in this year. I've got 5 potential stars coming through so I think its possible but unlikely. It depends on your luck.

Well Messi was at Newell's before he went to Barca. So if you signed the best 15-16 year olds then you could probably get a Barcelona-like Golden Age.

Yes but Messi played for the academy system at Barcelona and then prmoted to the first team squad. In FM you cannot really do that, i.e. Messi plaed for barca from 11 onwards - but did Barca actually get him from Newells or was he not playing for them at the time - as I think Barca got him on a trail and then signed him rather than poach him from Newells becasue did Messi not have a growth/hormone problem?

Well Messi was at Newell's before he went to Barca. So if you signed the best 15-16 year olds then you could probably get a Barcelona-like Golden Age.

You can get players through your academy of a different nationality to your club though, ie I've had a danish player come through Bolton's academy. This is what would happen in FM about Messi.

The difference is though that Barca presumably had a choice to sign Messi. The age limit scuppers any chance at that and I agree having Regens off a different nationality somewhat makes up for it.

The point I'm trying to make is that their damn impressive youth products are not just a load of blokes from Catalonia but they have had an element of handpicking that FM doesn't allow (I'd like to know how many busts they had for successes having said that).

I've had it my Charlton Athletic career. In a span of two years, I had one 4.5-star, one 4-star, and four 3.5-star players come from the academy. Plus, at that point I still had only good youth facilities.

It seems that some clubs have a higher likelihood of getting more top prospects, even with their facilities not being state of the art. I think historical tendencies play a part in this aspect of FM.

I've had it my Charlton Athletic career. In a span of two years, I had one 4.5-star, one 4-star, and four 3.5-star players come from the academy. Plus, at that point I still had only good youth facilities.

It seems that some clubs have a higher likelihood of getting more top prospects, even with their facilities not being state of the art. I think historical tendencies play a part in this aspect of FM.

I have found this as well. Every new game I start there are always a few absolute gem Turkish regens. Besiktas, Trabzonspor, Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and a few others in Turkey seem to produce plenty of great regens. Also in a few different games I've seen Aachen produce some great youngsters.

Hate it when you have somebody come through the youth accademy who looks like they'll turn world class. You keep hold of them until they are about 24 and they really don't live up to your expectations. You then sell them to someone like Blackburn and then by time they are 27/28 and in their prime they are at Arsenal or Chelsea and playing amazing.

I've had things like that. 2 Strikers who I'd had at the club from an early age, I let go(1 for free, 1 for 10 mil), and 2-3 years later they were pushing for a place in my England team. Wish I'd put a 50% of next fee clause on them.

Club: Rangers FC

I have had a great youth intake over the past ten seasons compared to other FM versions. Out of the 10 best coming through each season only 2-3 would have never made it. 2 are first teamers, 1 will defiantly be a first teamer. 3 were good strikers and one still with enough potential to be a target man. My only problem is I only get one every season, the rest of the batch is normally quite terrible. Hopefully will make my first team of over 50% 'true' homegrown talent in the future.

The best i have seen is at Chelsea when I was Man Utd on FM09. They produced 6 or 7 players who could cut it in the Premiership in 5 years. Only one of them stayed at Chelsea and I 'stole' a couple.

Archived