Ultimatums should be more dynamic

Currently, issuing an ultimatum to the club will almost (I think it is always :() result in an immediate sacking, no matter what your standing within the club is.

For example, currently, there are 3 different types of status a manager can aspire to in his club. They are favoured personnel, iconic status and legendary status. These status are just for cosmetic reasons only within the club.

I would like to propose that in future editions of Football Manager, these status should have a more prominent role within the game as well as being harder to achieve. For example, once a player reaches legendary status within the club, if he issues ultimatums to the club, the club chairman should most readily accept the manager's ultimatum and grant him his wishes because the manager has already become a very trusted member in the club. The chairman knows that sacking the manager would only cause the fans to get angry.

Of course, this measure should also be used sparingly. If the legendary manager issues 2 or more ultimatums in a period of 6 months or even one season, then the chairman would have the right to sack him.

There is a saying that no player is bigger than the club but when it comes to highly successful managers, for example, turning an obscure club or nation to world champions in a short period of time, the club should acknowledge that the manager is indispensable to the club and to the club's stature within world football.

I strongly urge SI to make the iconic and legendary figure in the game more meaningful and dynamic. What do you mates think of this? :)

It would be nice if the ultimatum button didn't mean "Please fire me, I'm fed up of you buffoons!"

That is quite true, mate! If a manager wants to resign, he can just submit a resignation letter to the board instead of making ultimatums a sure fire way to get the boot! If SI implement ultimatums as NOT a sure fire method to get the sack, this would make the game more interesting for the human manager! :)

Boards should give in to requests from managers with a good status.

Ultimatums however should remain very close to what it is now. A bad board should sometimes give in to ultimatums, but good boards shoulnd't ever as it is a sign of disrespect from the manager to the board.

:thup:

I don't like it being an immediate sacking, because surely chairmen won't sack a manager that has a huge rapport with the fans if they issue an ultimatum. Makes no sense.

It does make sense. An ultimatum means: give in to the demand OR fire me. NO inbetween, if they can't give in to your request, they MUST fire you.

I've heard urban legends about people surviving the ultimatum button, but have never experienced it myself. Nowadays I don't dare to try. Also because I'm most tempted when the board turns down requests to expand the stadium. But in all fairness it's probably impossible to expand the stadium and I need to wait some 15 more years before a new stadium can be built, so they have no real options besides firing me.

Better to play it safe.

Boards should give in to requests from managers with a good status.

Ultimatums however should remain very close to what it is now. A bad board should sometimes give in to ultimatums, but good boards shoulnd't ever as it is a sign of disrespect from the manager to the board.

It does make sense. An ultimatum means: give in to the demand OR fire me. NO inbetween, if they can't give in to your request, they MUST fire you.

So, SI should make the board GIVE IN to the manager's demands if the manager is a legendary status within the club! The board should consider the past achievements of the manager and "kow tow" :D to the manager!

So, SI should make the board GIVE IN to the manager's demands if the manager is a legendary status within the club! The board should consider the past achievements of the manager and "kow tow" :D to the manager!

Yes, the board should give in more to requests and be more willing to take risks the better his status, NOT to ultimatums however.

Not if the request is impossible to fulfil

Sometimes the board will "overlook" the outburst the one time due to the history you hold with the club, I've had this myself in FM09 I think, no idea about FM10, never had the need/desire to use it

Yes, the board should give in more to requests and be more willing to take risks the better his status, NOT to ultimatums however.

But currently the requests button have only two outcomes; positive and negative. The optional ultimatum button appears only when the request is not given!

But currently the requests button have only two outcomes; positive and negative. The optional ultimatum button appears only when the request is not given!

Well obviously you can't give an ultimatum when they're giving you what you want :confused:.

after 6 seasons of glory , just a simple request of expanding the stadium got me the sack .

I've never heard of a simple request giving you the sack, that might just be a bug tbh.

after 6 seasons of glory , just a simple request of expanding the stadium got me the sack .

How many times did you ask that season? There is a chance of a sacking if you ask too many times, even without the use of the ultimatum button

I issued an ultimatum and didn't get sacked. I think it was on FM07/FM08. After taking Leeds back where they belong (the upper echelons of European football) with still the (measly :p) capacity of 40,000 I asked for a stadium extension. The board reply was that there were not enough funds to expand the stadium but they agreed it needed expanding, even though I was a good little manager and was way in the black (or enough in the black to happily expand the stadium). I issued an ultimatum, and the board came back and said they'd find the money. A few months later I happily sat in the newly refurbished dugout of the 57,000 capacity Elland Road.

That however is the only time it has worked.

I did once have another slight victory as the manager of MTZ Ripo when I issued an ultimatum. I was sacked on the spot but there was a mass walkout of backroom staff in protest.

I honestly think that it shouldn't be sacking/board gives in. I'm at the job safety level of 'untouchable' at the moment. I think a failed ultimatum should just lower you down a level or two.

I honestly think that it shouldn't be sacking/board gives in. I'm at the job safety level of 'untouchable' at the moment. I think a failed ultimatum should just lower you down a level or two.

But then it wouldn't be an ultimatum, would it?

This is a no brainer - you make an ultimatum and you get sacked end of. So yes a manager that has had great success should have a lot more standing with regards to this aspect of the game. But it has been like this for ages so I dont see SI changing it any time soon tbh. :(

I did once have another slight victory as the manager of MTZ Ripo when I issued an ultimatum. I was sacked on the spot but there was a mass walkout of backroom staff in protest.

In a kind of Clough-Taylor way I suppose, I quite like that.

I'd like to see better news reports after the sacking of a legend e.g. "After the sacking of Rafa Benitez riots have broken out all across Liverpool. The chairman has hired bodyguards for his own protection. The club may never win back their fans after this latest development."

Isn't there a mistake in saying 'an ultimatum means either you give me what I want or fire me.' I would take an ultimatum to mean, 'give me what I want or I'll resign.' In practise, if the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Capello et al would said something like the latter and the board didn't want to give in, they wouldn't fire them. They presumably would say, we can't do that, but please don't resign. Even with lesser managers, a more realistic reaction to an ultimatum, especially if its just a one off, would be to dismiss it and hope they don't resign rather than actually sacking them if they were otherwise doing a decent job.

Archived