Another idea for you SI - easy to implement too

Take a look at this screenshot: (no it's not mine i just edited it to illustrate my idea)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6316/villap.jpg

Notice the kit next to the face. This is my idea, which should be very easy to implement. Basicly we do have kits in the club info screen, we have kits during match in commentary only mode.

So it would be very easy to incorporate a dynamic generated BACK pic of the shirt (much like the regen faces) - or just a pic from kit pack - in half the space next to the face pic (as shown in the screenshot above).

These BACK kits will be blank to allow for a dynamic generated text to appear as player name and number on the back. It might not look world-class but it certainly will be a cool feature to have.

People would be able to make back-kits as well and enjoy seeing their favourite stars and/or regens in their club's shirt.

Any thoughts?

This is a really good idea. I've always thought the player overviews and such could do with a little bit of flair to keep me interested. This is the type of thing I'd love to see implemented in the future because the game doesn't seem to change much from release to release (I mean media-flair wise, the same old images can get very dull after a while)

So yeah, good idea. It's got my vote :thup:

(P.S. one day you'll make a thread I don't post in :D)

First of all - nice to see a person has tried to show us hs idea in a picture form and has made a good effort -nice work :thup:.

But I'm afriad for me this is not what SI need to be working on - the aesthetics of the game is for the skinning forum and not for SI to be doing this kind of work - its gimmicky - I want SI to improve all the different areas of FM and as they introduced two new skins and layout/user face and I cant see them doing this - but there was a similar idea - and the thread was tagged so you never know - his/her example used Rooney I seem to remember. I'm not saying we can implement your idea ourselves - as you have suggested this I would think that we can't - hence the suggestion I guess.

But to an extent what does the kit actually do - we have the kit page and the players overview has enough things on it already without it being even more crowded. And its kind of obvious that Villa wears a Valencia shirt (or not IRL now) with a number on it - and we has the kits page which for me is good enough on its own to be honest. I just don't see it adding to my enjoyment of the game.

As nev says a really good idea, but not something I'd want concentrated on at the expense of other areas that are in much need of work. Like media. Or 'jet lag'. Why did someone not mention this before we got to kick off! I know I should be tracking how far they're flying and stuff, but is it too hard to stick an icon next to their names!

Sorry Vermundr didn't mean to go off on one. Its still a good idea. :thup:

Guys guys.. I understand you completely but this little thing won't require 300 programmers and 3 months to work on. They have the similar features working there already, it won't take any valuable time - and I never said it should be the #1 thing to work on.

But as I told eldeniro and I'm telling you - we are all football fans right? How awesome was the feeling for you when for the first time you saw your favourite footballer wear the jersey of a team you support? In eldeniro's case Keane in Celtic.

We are fans after all - and this is part of football - and if with that little tweak you can bring even a bit of the above-mentioned feeling then I say let's do it.

Blue Saint if you read the OP carefully you will see that I said i found this screenie in the net, it's not mine so I'm sorry I can't help you there :D

Shirt fetishism already takes too much space in modern football. The profile screen should be kept free of it and it shouldn't even be an option.

Yeah but your opinion doesn't change the fact that, as you said, "shirt fetishism" is part of modern football. Are you saying that when a guy signs for your club you don't care about the pic with his number & name on your club's jersey? I think it's a great idea and, yes there are other issues to fix, but this little touch could add a sort of different level of, not exactly enjoyment, but a little bit of a flairy touch. If that made any sense.

Yeah but your opinion doesn't change the fact that, as you said, "shirt fetishism" is part of modern football. Are you saying that when a guy signs for your club you don't care about the pic with his number & name on your club's jersey? I think it's a great idea and, yes there are other issues to fix, but this little touch could add a sort of different level of, not exactly enjoyment, but a little bit of a flairy touch. If that made any sense.

Shirt fetishism is unfortunately a part of modern football.

For myself, i couldn't care less how many pictures of a new signing with a new kit and cat there would be.

I just care about how he performs for his club. He won't get any better in my eyes by looking better than the other guy, on some pictures :D

Which leads me to the OP. Wouldn't be for me unfortunately.

• SI Staff

This is certainly not something that would be easy to implement. At the moment we don't generate images of the kit backs and we tend to concentrate more on the details on the front of the shirt when creating the 3D kit textures. It would certainly add a lot more work to that side of things. Then you would have to think of all the different numbering and lettering styles and how those would be represented as that is currently not something that is supported.

It would be nice to have this sort of thing in there (in a different context) but it's certainly not as easy to implement as you suggest.

But I'm afriad for me this is not what SI need to be working on - the aesthetics of the game is for the skinning forum and not for SI to be doing this kind of work - its gimmicky - I want SI to improve all the different areas of FM and as they introduced two new skins and layout/user face and I cant see them doing this - but there was a similar idea - and the thread was tagged so you never know - his/her example used Rooney I seem to remember. I'm not saying we can implement your idea ourselves - as you have suggested this I would think that we can't - hence the suggestion I guess.

I strongly disagree with that statement. We should (and are) always be looking at ways we can improve the look of the game.

• Administrators
This is certainly not something that would be easy to implement. At the moment we don't generate images of the kit backs and we tend to concentrate more on the details on the front of the shirt when creating the 3D kit textures. It would certainly add a lot more work to that side of things. Then you would have to think of all the different numbering and lettering styles and how those would be represented as that is currently not something that is supported.

It would be nice to have this sort of thing in there (in a different context) but it's certainly not as easy to implement as you suggest.

I strongly disagree with that statement. We should (and are) always be looking at ways we can improve the look of the game.

well. thats that then :D

portal-graphics-20_1159596a.jpg

Thanks for ruining my dreams :C

On a serious note - I thought it would be easy because a similar thing is already there like the front shirts and the regen faces thing. But of course the numbering/naming would be somewhat of a problem if you would like to represent all possible combinations (thouhg that's just nitpicking then) :D I was aiming more at something like - just having the basics of the feature but have it very moddable for users. And thanks for the reply :D

Ha! In your face evil-doers! :D

I think it's a good idea. Let's not knock the OP who has taken some time and effort to come up with something that could improve the look of the game. Ok it's cosmetic to some but it's like your Christmas Tree. After a few years it looks tired until you freshen it up with some new baubles!! This could just freshen up the player screen page with something new.

Well I wouldn't agree with that. You recall An FM08 skin called Creme 1.0 that add pictures of pictures of the stadium in the header and add second picture to player profiles?

I find hard to believe that if you can put the back jersey in tactics window and appear the number of the player which the user can choose which number goes to which player, you can put one back jersey slightly bigger and put the name of the player?

In terms of design, I think placing there makes the player profile window makes it little full, but I find your (Ter) excuse simply an excuse. If you don't want something of the likes there, then just say "We are not interested in that at this time."

To the OP, your idea I think as potential and I would like that thing in the future.

Note: Ter, i'm sorry if it offends you in anyway, but that is what I think.

Ter said that it was complex and that was the reason its probably not going to happen and then went on to say that it is something they should be looking at. I don't think he was making excuses.

Do you program games or PC's grade? What is your level of expertise that makes you say this?

I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative, its just that SI get slated when they don't respond and branded liars when they do?

I'm studying as programmer and i'm at the end of the course. But I want to go to design area.

But the reason i say it is excuse, is because Ter said it is difficult to do and I don't deny that, but the way to do it is already in use in the back jerseys that are in the tactical screen, where it puts the number of the player (which as you know you can pick the number of the player). It is a question of using that same way to collect the name.

SO yeah, i felt what Ter said was an excuse, and I know that wasn't Ter intentions.

Stating that Ter is making an excuse, doesn't mean I'm saying Ter is liar. Excuse and lying are two different things. I view that an excuse is a political correct answer. :D

I'm studying as programmer and i'm at the end of the course. But I want to go to design area.

But the reason i say it is excuse, is because Ter said it is difficult to do and I don't deny that, but the way to do it is already in use in the back jerseys that are in the tactical screen, where it puts the number of the player (which as you know you can pick the number of the player). It is a question of using that same way to collect the name.

SO yeah, i felt what Ter said was an excuse, and I know that wasn't Ter intentions.

Stating that Ter is making an excuse, doesn't mean I'm saying Ter is liar. Excuse and lying are two different things. I view that an excuse is a political correct answer. :D

Fair enough and I accept that liar was probably the wrong word.

This is a nice idea, but what would happen when playing at lower leagues where players don't have their own individual shirts?

You will see just a back number? And the individual shirt would be something you'll be looking forward to having when you turn your lower league club into a premier side :D

I find hard to believe that if you can put the back jersey in tactics window and appear the number of the player which the user can choose which number goes to which player, you can put one back jersey slightly bigger and put the name of the player?

The back of the shirts on the tactics screen are just generic/default kits so putting them on the player profile screen would look a little silly, in addition creating a shirt back for every licensed team would be time consuming. You also have the issue of where would you put the attribute analyser if the kit goes their?

A nicer addition would be dynamic kits on the player pictures - so when you sign a player the shirt updates to reflect your current team, it would also give the regens a shirt - have the shirt added as an overlay on top of the face, whilst it should work well for regens you'd have the problem with real pictures as not all the photos are taken in the same way, though it would be nice if SI could get all the licensed players to line up the same way with a plain background.

apart from the lower leagues issue, in certain skins including the default one there is a polygon on that space which i'm quite fond of. so as far as it concerns me, i think the game is fine the way it is. but if SI ever takes the polygon out of there this is an idea to consider

Archived