Unreal fees demanded by clubs for players.

I don't know if this subject has been approached before, so if it was, please, sorry.

My point here is regarding the transfer values demanded by all clubs. It seems that the clubes ask for unreal sums for players. A medium european club, let's say, Roma. When it has a player under contract it will ask for values much higher than they would accept for a real transfer.

For example: I am trying so sign a player from Ajax whose transfer value is £3 million Its name is not important as it is a regen), but they demand six times this sum for its transfer. If you check the values clubs demand for major players, you willl have a few dozens with values over £50 million.

In the first year of this game, I tried to sign a Brazilian player from Sao Paulo and the club has not released him for a £12million offer they would jump on IRL.

Don't you agree that most of the clubs would say their star players for £25m/£30m? Isn't the system unreal? Wouldn't agents IRL play their sordid part forcing players to go and stuff? Maybe it can be imrpved for 2011.

Cheers

Could try this thread for starters: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=5381398#post5381398

Its an FM09 thread thats been dredged up from the depths and was pretty much below this one in the list so shouldn't have been that hard to find. I don't mean to be harsh but yes it has been mentioned before. Literally hundreds of times!!

Here we go again, learn to negotiate.

Seconded, it takes time and can be frustrating, but it mirrors real life.

Other useeful tricks are get the player on your friends list, get the manager on your friends list, filter by the players attribbutes for a cheap Romanian equivalent.

Just repeat the catchphrase of an old teacher of mine "See that door behind you? You can take it with you on your way out."

Eventually clubs will come back and negotiate higher, they'll just do it through a new bid rather than negotiation of a bid.

I'd rather clubs reject enquiries than put out stupid bids as it is misleading. If you don't want to sell then don't put out a value!

A lot of clubs would sell most if not all of their players for £30m each.

A rejection of an enquiry is an implicit message saying, "Show us the money". How far are you willing to go?

I'd rather clubs reject enquiries than put out stupid bids as it is misleading. If you don't want to sell then don't put out a value!

A lot of clubs would sell most if not all of their players for £30m each.

A rejection of an enquiry is an implicit message saying, "Show us the money". How far are you willing to go?

and when SI did that in previous versions the same people complained then :rolleyes:

Here we go again, learn to negotiate.

Do you not get tired of it Cougar? Big respect to you, I just can't be bothered with half of the threads anymore, hence the linkage above.

I will add this though, patience is something which yourself and Brian Shanahan have talked about, I'd like to tell my own little story.

2nd season with my Spurs team I was chasing a new right winger all summer, the god like Aaron having been whisked away to Real :(

I had one particular target in mind and praised and tapped him up through July. He was happy and I became favoured personnel.

He was however a key player at his club and they were none too impressed with my admiring glances. He was valued at £6m. When it came time to bid, I figured he's worth £6m, lets open with £8m plus a future %age. They laughed at me.

I came back in £1.5m increments up to my maximum transfer kitty of £14m, all of them rejected out of hand. Now I was going to have to hit up the 48 month deal. This in itself always leads to a bit of inflation so I started out at £17m plus the future %age.

I carried on being rejected even getting up to £28m plus %age. The rejections were almost instantaneous every time, not a sign that they were willing to budge anytime soon.

Final bid of £32m + %age, all the while knowing that it wasn't likely. They laughed at me once more and I decided that my best bet was to get one of my promising players back from the loan I'd just dispatched him to and put faith in him and Bentley.

I decided to keep tabs on the player and unsurprisingly he was unsettled and wanted the move to the Lane for CL football. Through September he remained unsettled but playing ok.

In mid October he rejected a contract offer from his club and got really moody, his performances steadily got worse. Come November he was demanding a transfer and I saw my chance to grab him for January. I went straight in with a £9.75m bid which they bit my hand off for. Couple of months later he rocks up, rocked the Lane for a few years and helped bring 3 league titles home.

The moral is clearly, patience is a virtue.

Once I find a player I want to get, the following procedure is usually used:

1. Praise the player: use the highest types of praise. Tell him you think he has a ton of potential and that he will be a future star.

You might also add the part where you say that you'll do everything possible to sign them. However, sometimes that will bring unwanted attention from other clubs who may enter into a bidding war with you, so be careful with this one.

2. Praise his manager: say that he is doing a good job at the club or any other positive praise.

This will soften him up to your charm and he will most likely accept lower bids for the player. After praising him, check his relationship with you. If it's says "feels you two can be friends" then you're good to go.

3. Begin bidding for the player.

This is the procedure I use in at least 90% of my transfers where a club may be unwilling to sell a player you want, or are willing to sell but will probably want a big amount for them. I used this to get Gourcuff for example, who was unhappy at Bordeaux and wanted to leave. However, when I scouted him, my scouts told me that he would cost at least 50 million Euro to acquire. I tried bidding for him anyway, and indeed, Bordeaux wanted 52 million for him. I then used the procedure above and got Gourcuff for 20 million instead. I should also add that at the time, Gourcuff's actual value was almost 37 million, so I got a bargain deal for him.

Once I find a player I want to get, the following procedure is usually used:

1. Praise the player: use the highest types of praise. Tell him you think he has a ton of potential and that he will be a future star.

You might also add the part where you say that you'll do everything possible to sign them. However, sometimes that will bring unwanted attention from other clubs who may enter into a bidding war with you, so be careful with this one.

2. Praise his manager: say that he is doing a good job at the club or any other positive praise.

This will soften him up to your charm and he will most likely accept lower bids for the player. After praising him, check his relationship with you. If it's says "feels you two can be friends" then you're good to go.

3. Begin bidding for the player.

This is the procedure I use in at least 90% of my transfers where a club may be unwilling to sell a player you want, or are willing to sell but will probably want a big amount for them. I used this to get Gourcuff for example, who was unhappy at Bordeaux and wanted to leave. However, when I scouted him, my scouts told me that he would cost at least 50 million Euro to acquire. I tried bidding for him anyway, and indeed, Bordeaux wanted 52 million for him. I then used the procedure above and got Gourcuff for 20 million instead. I should also add that at the time, Gourcuffs actual value was almost 37 million, so I got a bargain deal for him.

Hate to burst your bubble but Gourcuff has a hidden release clause that you triggered with that bid. If you want to know how much it is, then check the Gourcuff thread in GPTG.

As mentioned, negotiation and patience is essential if you don't want to pay over the odds (Man. City managers may ignore that advice). The fees being asked for ARE over the top, no doubt and I do feel the system along with clubs finances need to be re-evaluated. However, the system isn't as broken as the starters of countless threads like these seem to think.

My best example was back in FM 2009 when I was chasing C. Ronaldo. At the start of the summer window I negotiated with Man Unt and finally agreed on a 120 million fee (over the top, but I had the money). However he gets injured and fails the medical, so the deal falls through. Towards the end of the window, he regains fitness and I go back in for him, this time, as in real life, I get my man for 80 million. I signed Ribery with the money left over.....

No player praising etc was used so perhaps I could have gotten him for even less had I done that all summer.

As mentioned, if I can't get a player for a fee I can afford or am willing to pay, I'll look for a cheaper alternative (either a young talent with potential or a player with lower reputation) or be patient and try again in another window. Just because Man Unt want 125 million for Rooney, doesn't mean you pay it. I got them down to 80 million in the summer of 2011, probably close to a realistic fee.

I'd suggest player values are misleading, more than fees being over the top.

Hate to burst your bubble but Gourcuff has a hidden release clause that you triggered with that bid. If you want to know how much it is, then check the Gourcuff thread in GPTG.

No, you didn't burst my bubble at all. I'll be honest, I had no idea about this hidden clause so thanks for letting me know. However, this was merely one of many examples from several of my careers. I've signed many other high profile players or regens using this exact method.

Btw, I'll add one other thing. If there's a player you want to sign, make sure to scout them before hand. The purpose of this is not to actually get a report of the player's ability, but how much the club would really be willing to accept for them. Some players can be obtained for almost a tenth of their actual value. Especially if the club has put the player on the transfer list and has listed a price they want for him. Sometimes (which is quite often actually) they will be willing to accept bids much, much lower than the listed price.

Archived