Should we be able to recruit football groundsmen?

I've just been watching a Champions League final preview and they interviewed an English groundsman who has been recruited by Real Madrid. Clearly the biggest clubs want the best football groundsmen available. However, on Football Manager the groundsman is almost completely anonymous. You cannot hire the best groundsmen or fire the worst ones.

In real life the best clubs recruit the best football groundsmen; should we be able to do it on Football Manager?

hmm.....Ive never even thought about that......it would be interesting

Only thing is I don't think that the grounds crew are hired by the manager though....

In real life I'm pretty sure football managers don't pick feeder clubs or go on 'holiday' as well.

Actually depending on the type of manager, I reckon you'll find managers that do the same type of situation as both in the game. Look at the feeder club situation, aside from a couple of local links for sentimental reasons, a long term manager will want the same level of input into feeder clubs as he has on his backroom staff. Imagine you were Alex Ferguson and the Utd boardhad a choice between ASEC Abidjan and Séwé Sports de San Pedro (both Ivorian clubs), you'd be telling your board to pick ASEC and you'd be pretty p****d off if San Pedro were picked, without even informing you.

Holidaying is frankly more of a general manager thing rather than taking an actual holiday. No one, unless they're testing a database or want to start in 2100, will want to holiday through the transfer windows, or any other important dates outside of match days. Therefore it's more of a situation of going up to the stands for the day rather than going off to the Algarve for 24 hours of golf.

You don't really pick the feeder club, you request to board to look into getting one. They then provide a selection of possibilities and ask you to give your recommendation on which one would benefit the club.
If you've been there long enough you can choose a specific club e.g. I chose Leeds with Juventus.

No.

In real life the managers don't hire the groundsmen.

In real life the managers don't actually hire the players either! Or any other staff member for that matter.

That being said I don't think we should have groundsmen as staff that can be hired & fired. As Neji said, more tedious micro-managing.

maybe SI should think about new game besides FM

maybe football tycoon or something like that

my opinion lot ppl would buy that game

This is the ultimate reply of this topic. +1 to this.:thup:

Groundsmen are even more important in USA Baseball. Heads Groundsmen get paid lots of money.

They have to make sure a field is in tip top shape for 3 games in consecutive days, and then a few days later do it all again. Imagine taking care of this everyday

USCellularField_from_UD1stbase.jpg

I also dont think many managers take part in the negotiations when buying players, but we all do in FM. Saying that im not in support of hiring ground staff just yet.

It depends on the club I think, some managers have a lot more say in transfers than others, especially if they have been there a long time and built a reputation.

Hi I know I'm not in the right thread but I need to know what's the best way to make money during pre-season?

I usually jus play friendlys but I try to create cups or league but teams always reject does any1 have any reason why?

Thnx if u can help it would be much appreciated

As long as all teams get the same groundsman level I'm ok with that. But if some teams have better groundsmen than mine I'd like to be able to hire the best one around if I can afford him. Is it an even playing field? Any info on this?

I think barnet as an affiliate arrangement with arsenal get the pitch expertise help from arsenal as their reserves also play on it and the pitch is as flat and true as highbury almost

Did you just use the words Barnet, pitch, and flat in the same sentence?

Its the best known sloped pitch in the country (and gives them a massive advantage when at home)

Would be an unnecessary addition imo

I would agree with that. I was thinking about nutritionalist should be in the game to help recovery time after game similar to physios but then I thought that it would be unnecessary.

It would be good actually and to make requests to the groundsmen to water the pitch before a really good passing team play you e.g barcelona. Chelsea did this in the chmapions league a few years back.

This season Schalke deliberately let their pitch fall into poor condition because they hoped Bayern Munich wouldn't be able to take advantage of their technical superiority this way.

Did you just use the words Barnet, pitch, and flat in the same sentence?

Its the best known sloped pitch in the country (and gives them a massive advantage when at home)

the slope has been majorly fixed since the old days and the surface is extremely true largely due to the affiliate help

Archived