what series of football manager is the best?

From what I can remember about it Championship Manager 03\04 was pretty good. As far as the FM series is concerned I personally think the current version is the best.

Of Football Manager, FM07, then FM2010, then 09, then 06, then 05, then 08 IMO.

If you include CM, people tend to rate 00-01 and especially 01-02 highly, but tbh without the nostalgia effect then they aren't nearly as good as the FMs.

My reasoning is based largely on the quality of the ME- FM07's MEs were better than any of the subsequent ones.

FM 10.3 by a countrymile for overall gaming experience. The tactic creator and match engine alone means it is heads and shoulders above anything else. The regens work very well too, and all players from the database are now gone from my game (with the odd exception of 35+ year olds).

If you want to play fast and nasty CM 01/02 is the best. You can fly through seasons. It's quite a step to go back to it though. It was fun for a while, but I missed so many of the features that have come since then.

I don't agree that regens are good in FM10. By the time you get ten seasons in the amount of players with well rounded stats goes through the floor.

You better tell that to my team of all-regen superstars then. They look FB to me. In general I'm not seeing key attributes for this or that position as seriously flawed either. I know a lot of work on this went into 10.3 and I think it improved a lot. I'm sure it can become even better for FM11, but right now I can't honestly say the system is 'broken' or even remotely so.

I could show some of my own players, but that would not really be evidence. You need to look at the general picture. I have a few scouts checking out youths across the world, and I'm finding many good prospects each year. There is of course the odd DC who can't jump and such, but in general it does look rather good. I'm into 2026 now btw, so virtually all starting players are gone.

What do you think is wrong with the regen system?

I could never go back playing older FMs after playing FM10. The quality of the regens in every save I played was fantastic. You could build an army of wonderkids and future world-class players in less than 6-7 years.

You better tell that to my team of all-regen superstars then. They look FB to me. In general I'm not seeing key attributes for this or that position as seriously flawed either. I know a lot of work on this went into 10.3 and I think it improved a lot. I'm sure it can become even better for FM11, but right now I can't honestly say the system is 'broken' or even remotely so.

I could show some of my own players, but that would not really be evidence. You need to look at the general picture. I have a few scouts checking out youths across the world, and I'm finding many good prospects each year. There is of course the odd DC who can't jump and such, but in general it does look rather good. I'm into 2026 now btw, so virtually all starting players are gone.

What do you think is wrong with the regen system?

A few people have gone through and looked at the number of players who have ability in the seperate ranges (0-50, 51-100, 101-150, 150+ etc) and found that the numbers of players around 130 and above really almost get halved when you're about ten seasons in.

From my own experience - finding good players in the future is dead easy. But then you look around the world's best squads and all of their regens are absolute crap.

If you want to play fast and nasty CM 01/02 is the best. You can fly through seasons. It's quite a step to go back to it though. It was fun for a while, but I missed so many of the features that have come since then.

Agreed. Great fun for say, a train journey or summat if you want to bang out a season or two. Also the text only commentary is far less frustrating ( yes I know I could play text only on FM10, but I love my 2D dots).

I have the perception that the old ones are better, probably because of good games I've had in the past and getting bored of the current way the transfer market is. But then I play on them and don't like the interface, becoming used to the latest version so I'm not too sure which I prefer.

A few people have gone through and looked at the number of players who have ability in the seperate ranges (0-50, 51-100, 101-150, 150+ etc) and found that the numbers of players around 130 and above really almost get halved when you're about ten seasons in.

From my own experience - finding good players in the future is dead easy. But then you look around the world's best squads and all of their regens are absolute crap.

Is this with 10.3?

I remember this was talked about in the betaforum and seemed to be addressed in 10.3. The number of players drops for some reason into the game, so you can't just look at the number of players with any given ability, but the percentage.

When I look at the players in the game they look very good though. Certainly not a lack of good talents. No idea about the quantitative stuff as I will never check stuff with the editor or third party software, but from the frontend it looks very good to me.

Archived