3 stars keeper can beat 5?

Fernando Muslera, the keeper i had the past and current season in Lazio, and always gave me fantastic performances despite the fact he's only 3 stars, he's like a Petr Cech that is always in his top form despite the fact my defense does >10 errors/match.

Today, I've found a 5-star Rene Alder as a free agent, a wiling to sign for me for a lower wage than Muslera, so i signed him to a 5 year contract, only problem he has is his aerial ability and can't speak Italian, and played him my past two matches, those are the stats so far this season

Rene Adler (2 Matches, 6.25 AVG Rating, Conceded 4)

Fernando Muslera (2 Matches, 8.25 AVG Rating, Conceded 1)

I was just wondering, do you think I should keep Rene Adler or Muslera (because probably one of them is going to keep arguing about first-team football and i should sell one soon)? is it just because of the adaptability or maybe bad luck? or maybe that's the first reason he was a free agent?

-Sorry for the long post :(-

So should i start offering Muslera? or wait a bit? It's weird he was a free agent, and no one even tried to offer anything for him other than me...

+ Q : Is there some way to find good free agents? because they are not valued, and the fact that i got a 5 star keeper from it by luck, makes me want to do more :D

So should i start offering Muslera? or wait a bit?

If I was manager of that club in that situation, I would wait. Rotate them until a clear winner emerges, go with the in hot performances and ride out that good form.

Give us an update after another 2 starts for each? Let's see how this competition unfolds.

If you have a keeper who averages 8.25, why would you even want another one.

So say that keeper is a "8.25 average keeper" is probably misleading yourself at this time. Two games man! If he's still sitting at 8.25 come winter break, then you might be onto something...

Why want another good keeper? A club is always one twisted knee or broken hand away from a very, very long season dropping down the table.

This is one of the reasons why the star ratings get so much stick on these forums, they aren't a totally reliable predictor of how a player will perform. As everyone seems to be saying, you need to give them both more time, but if Muslera is doing the job for you then I wouldn't stick with Adler just because the game rates him. He'll probably improve once he settles in and learns the language, but it may be that he prefers to play in a different role (ie sweeper keeper perhaps) to the one you are using or that Muslera has some stats that act particularly well to cover a weakness in your defence. I haven't managed Adler in FM10, but he is pretty highly rated so he should do a job anywhere. That said, it might be that he has a flaw in his stats (you say his aerial ability isn't great) which is undermining him - it's easy to overlook mental stats.

To answer the question on free agent keepers appearing, this has been mentioned several times in the past, it appears that this version of the game can result in world class keepers leaving on a free at the end of their contract and no one picking them up. I got the world class Russian keeper (name with held to prevent player naming) on a free in an earlier save. I tried bigging him up in the press, to generate some interest, in the end after he had been their for a few months I decided to sign him my self.

I did cope well with having two world class keepers who both considered them selves first team players, I didn't even rotate them that often.

The star system rounds up the players into a neat package saying 'in my opinion this keeper is better than this one'. What is does not do is take into account your playing style, keepers attribute spread (is he a sweeper, shot stopper, in between?), language barrier, adaptability and so on.

In my current save I have a 2.5 star striker scoring for fun, while my 4 star striker can't get into the team, why? Because he suits the roll I play him in perfectly, where as the 4 star striker is not strong enough of has enough balance to do the holding roll I ask of him and he is not fast enough to run onto the ball, which leaves him on the bench.

• Administrators

This is what people always go on - attributes and 'scouting ratings'.

A player can have a ability level way below someone else, but if they get the ratings for the matches keep playing them. Players in real life considered not to have great natural ability like Robbie Savage have forged careers out of performing consistently above expectations. It can quite easily happen in FM too - don't always pay attention to players attributes, it's performances that matter.

Archived